“2 day Business trip”
Review of Econo Lodge South

Econo Lodge South
Ranked #88 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 27 April 2013

April 24th & 25th I stayed at Econo Lodge South Calgary while on a business trip. The only reason I booked here instead of the fancy hotel the conference I was attending, is this is one of the few hotels/motels in the area that I needed to be close to, that still have a few “Smoking” rooms available.
The Econo Lodge is very dated, but the housekeeping staff had done a good job of making sure my room was as clean as it could be without a new coat of paint. The room I was in (103) had a mini fridge, microwave and small counter. The bathroom sink, toilet, & tub looked like they were replace within the past couple years (but the shower head was low & at 5’7” I had to bend my head to rinse the shampoo out). The queen size bed & pillows were very comfortable. Their continental breakfast was very plain (coffee, tea, juice, toast, bagels, cereal & boiled eggs) I didn’t use the pool, but from what I could see from the lobby area it appeared to be well maintained & clean. Their complementary Wi-Fi had a very strong connection & they had full cable channels in the room. Apparently they also have full kitchenette rooms if you’re traveling with a young family or stuck in town for an extended stay. The lobby staff were friendly & able to assist me with directions for places I needed to go to while in town.
There are a few restaurants within walking distance & lots within a short drive along McLeod Drive.
You get what you pay for…… $120.00 per night, all taxes included. The fancy hotel (that discriminates against smokers) the conference I was attending was $240.00 with taxes per night not that it really mattered as my company was covering the bill.
Would I stay here again? The answer is YES as long as it was for only a night or two.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Pam-51

Reviewed 23 April 2013

Holy this place is horrible. Stayed last night 22 of April 2013 and the stay is for 3 days but currently looking for another place. Wow the even guy who checked us in was a complete jerk. He wouldn't know customer service if it hit him in the face. The cont. breakfast doesn't look they the picture and its completely misadvertised on thier website. And here's the kicker. If you book a room with a kitchen don't expect one. It's first come first serve. The hallways are dirty and the pool has dirt in the bottom.

So I totally would not recommend this place. Pay the extra 20 bucks so you can find a better place to stay.

Totally Disgusted

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank kleelang
Reviewed 2 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a group. The entire hotel is in need of a huge update. The decor, furnishings and the mattresses are in horrible condition. The room did have a large flat screen TV but that did not make up for the discomfort of the beds and sense that things were not fully clean.

A very old bed cover and sheet were the only bed coverings and when blankets were requested they only had one.

The staff were as helpful as they could be but there was little they could do to improve the rooms.

The price is high for what we experienced. Could have paid 10$ more and had a much newer hotel close by.

Won't stay in an Econo Lodge again

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank LAS1010
Reviewed 1 March 2013 via mobile

This place was overall a pretty decent place to stay, the rate was fair and it was a comfy. Nice little pool and hot tube, decent breakfast. I will stay there again in the future. They allowed us to have our pet stay as well which is always nice.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Ashtonbliss
Reviewed 27 February 2013

Booked my stay on Hotwire (First and Last time) to see if it actually worked. When I arrived I was informed that I had been booked into a smoking room as part of the Hotwire agreement that the hotel can put me in one of their closets if they want (apparently). At the time of my arrival there was absolutely no way that they could get a non-smoking room because they were completely booked. I asked if there was anything they could do and a minute later they had a non-smoking room available....... at a 15 dollar upgrade fee. I agreed because it was pre-paid and had little choice. One word...... Piracy. Two words..... Never again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ken B
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Rooms were clean, good continental breakfast and served the purpose for a couple of nights doing business. Parking is tight as the workers have big duallies but found staff friendly. Rooms do need some work as do some of the public areas.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank amtiii
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I had low expectations for this hotel, but even these did not come cloe to being met. My wife and I were put up in the "homeless" wing, where creepy guys carrying black plastic garbage bags were roaming the hallways at night. The overall state of the hotel is rundown - when we went to our room there were signs of a recent brawl or some such thing...broken window with glass lying all over the floor, an overturned garbage can and the aforementioned creepy guys. The room was just as bad: it smelled of cheap bathroom air freshener, the foldout couch was dirty and so horribly stained that we didn't want it in our room and absolutely couldn't bring ourselves to sit on it. The 2 chairs in the room weren"t much better, stained and crappy looking. The bed was as hard as a rock and the bedspread didn't look very clean. The sheets and towels were threadbare and rough to the touch and the bathtub was old and dirty looking with enough caulk around the edges to waterproof a small boat. Do yourself a favour, spend a few dollars maor and stay somewhere else!!!

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple