“Could be great, but let down by (poor!!) cleanliness”

Ranked #53 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Calgary, Canada
“Could be great, but let down by (poor!!) cleanliness”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

On the surface, and when I first arrived, this hotel seems like a great modern and well-appointed choice to stay in Calgary. However, once I got settled into my room, some negative aspects soon became apparent... =(

Three negatives, unfortunately, stood out for me:
- The cleanliness could be ALOT better! On the surface, it seems like a modern and clean room - but upon closer inspection, there were a couple things that GROSSED me out. 1) the ice tongs had someone else's old food debris on it (see pic!), and 2) there were stray hairs on the shower walls! EEK.
- Not sure if it was just my room (2nd floor) or others as well, but the toilet/train would make a weird loud noise every 15-20 minutes or so. Even with the bathroom door closed, you could hear it 'going off' all the time.
- Finally the noise isolation/sound proofing from the hall/door into the room is lacking. Stayed in many hotels, and this one ranks poor in terms of sound/privacy from the hallway.
As a note, the hotel does provide ear plugs (but who really comes to a hotel and expects to always use/sleep with earplugs?).

Having mentioned the above 3 points, I would have to recommend to stay somewhere else.
If the hotel were to improve (significantly) on its cleanliness and sound/noise proofing, then I MAYBE would consider giving it another shot.

If you're looking for a hotel in NW Calgary area, I would personally recommend Aloft University (also a SPG hotel). Stayed there and it was great!

*If this review was helpful to you, please take a quick moment and hit the 'yes - review was helpful' button.*

Thanks for reading, HAPPY TRAVELS! =)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ryan T
Rachelle L, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Calgary West, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Ryan T,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your most recent stay with us. We are happy to hear your welcome and first impression of our hotel was positive.

Please accept my most sincere apologies that you experienced housekeeping and maintenance issues during your stay with us. We apologize for this inconsistency and can assure you this is not our typical standard. Our housekeeping team prides themselves in winning Alberta Hotel and Lodging Award each year and we will certainly review this with them to ensure our Four Points standards are being met for every guest. Always feel free to reach out to the front desk for anything during your stay, including noise issues. Additionally, we encourage you to bring any issues to light during your stay as we would have been happy to move you to a different room so your stay was more enjoyable.

I encourage you to reach out to me directly so that I may address your concerns further.

We are happy to hear of your experience with our second owned and managed property, the Aloft Calgary University and we can assure you this is a one off experience at Four Points. We would love to welcome you back to our property for a great stay. Please feel free to reach out to me directly and I will ensure you receive a great rate and an overall fantastic stay.

In hospitality,

403-288-4441

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Regina, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We called ahead and requested an early check-in because we were coming from 8 hours away by car. Our room wasn't ready, but we were given a substitute room, which was very beautiful, overlooking Canada Olympic Park. We will definitely book this property again. Special thanks to the front desk crew...first class all the way...especially considering that the Calgary Stampede was in full swing and the hotel was at full capacity.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Flew into Calgary on our way to Banff. Spent the night at this Sheraton. It is approximately 25 minutes from the airport. Newly renovated rooms with wonderful bedding. Bathrooms were spotless and updated. No noise problems at all. Highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hogbarngirl
heather c, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Calgary West, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
I too love the Four Points bedding Hogbarngirl. Did you know that everything is available through the Four Points Store, online at www.fourpoints-hotelsathome.com/ ! We look forward to your next visit with us.
Safe Travels, Heather Craigdallie - General Manager.
Halifax, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I had a 4 am departure time to get ready for my Calgary to Halifax flight. I decided to stay at the Sheraton as I was coming in from Canmore and reasoned that it was close enough to the hotel to warrant staying there. Quiet hours start around 9:30pm/10pm and that was a complete joke. The hotel did not quiet down until 1am. I called and complained and to their credit they did send someone to tell everyone to keep quiet. But that was it after hours of waves of children running in the hall and people shouting.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Rachelle L, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Calgary West, responded to this review, 10 September 2014
Dear Bluewater08,

We are disappointed to hear of your initial experience regarding noise from other guests. Thank you for contacting the front desk during your stay. I am happy to see we were able to put a stop to this as soon as we were made aware.

We apologize that you did not receive any follow up regarding this. Please feel free to contact me should your travels bring you back to Calgary and I will be more than happy to provide you with an enhanced room at a great rate and the true relaxing Four Points experience.

Thank you for sharing, we hope to hear from you!

Best regards,

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed at this property and was pleasantly surprised. Staff were friendly and accomodating and the renovations provide for an updated experience. Great location for me as it was close to my meetings. I didn't rate the spa as I did not use it. The gym is smaller but had everything I needed as seemed very clean. I woudl definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: I available ask for a room that doesn't face the highway, A room that is on the same side as the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
heather c, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Calgary West, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you Nicholas, pleasant surprises are always the best.
A tip on room selection, if you are sensitive to the highway and still want a view of Canada Olympic Park, Choose the first floor. Without balcony doors it cuts down on the “hum” significantly.

Safe travels and we look forward to your next visits,
Heather Craigdallie – General Manager.
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

My mom and I stayed here when we attended a show at Olympic Park. Upon walking into the lobby I was first impressed by the water feature and modern decor. The lady at the front desk was very helpful and by the time I finished checking in I not only had a room better than what I had reserved but I also had reservations at the restaurant for supper and breakfast the next morning and a tip to save us a few dollars on the show we were going to. The room was clean, it had a small balcony with a door we opened for fresh air, and it was quiet and the beds were very comfortable. I was very happy that we'd stayed there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Vicki P,

Thank you for sharing your stay with us! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your time at Four Points.

We hope to welcome you back in the future for a 5/5 stay.

Take care!

In hospitality,

Lethbridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I arrived at this hotel a little early due to a group that I delivered to McDonalds across from Canada Olympic Park for furtherance to Banff. I checked in, not expecting to be able to move in, however, my move in was seamless, with a very friendly staff whom even helped me park my motorcoach on their lot. Their location is prime for families as it is surrounded by fast food properties, a strip mall, liquor store, gas station, & of course easy access to the Trans Canada Highway & COP if you are a skiier. Rooms are spacious, clean, & modern. No complaints. Recommend for groups(teams) as well. Close to University, & only 15-20 minutes City Hall, Zoo, Cross Iron Mills Mall, etc. Also good for Airport Access...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Bear20142014,

Thank you for the glowing review! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us.

Should you return to Calgary, please feel free to reach out directly to me and I would be happy to set you up for another great stay.