“Amazing service - and you *must* check out the fitness centre!”

Hyatt Regency Calgary
Ranked #14 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Maritimes
“Amazing service - and you *must* check out the fitness centre!”
Reviewed 4 June 2011

I had one little problem that I'll get out of the way first because the rest is all positive and this slight problem was with check-in.

Service was fast and everything was going great until I provided my credit card to hold an amount. This was the longest I've ever stayed in a hotel and I've probably never stayed in one so fancy, but I have never been to a hotel where they put the whole amount on your credit card PLUS extra up front. *Without informing me of the amount,* the front desk staff member attempted to hold almost $2000 on my credit card. Only after the amount wouldn't go through did she inform me of how much she had tried to hold. I was very much not expecting that and if she would have indicated in advance how much she was putting on, I could have told her that it wouldn't go through and could have paid part on debit.

Not only were they trying to hold the full amount of the booking, but $75 extra per day for incidentals!! I was really shocked as this is unusual to me, and an explanation up front would have helped.

After this she put a lesser amount through but still did not tell me the exact amount that was held on my card, so for the rest of my stay I was left wondering how much $ was left on my credit card. Needless to say I did not go shopping! At the end of the stay, the true amount of the stay went through no problem. I just was not expecting to have to clear in advance $75 extra per day that I knew I wasn't going to spend.

That out of the way, the rest of the stay was fantastic. Every single person I interacted with in this hotel was fun and friendly. Super, super service from holding open hotel and car doors to mailing my postcards. The housekeeper on the 12th floor was absolutely incredible. So happy and pleasant to talk to and she did an amazing job cleaning my room! It was a treat to walk through the doors at the end of the day and actually come home to a clean and tidy room.

The decor of the hotel is gorgeous. The lighting is really nice and warm and the art makes it feel really special. There are some really lovely locations throughout the hotel that set it apart from the rest. Coming down the elevator from the 3rd floor to the lobby is really nice with the lighting and the art.

My room was awesome - a corner room so it was pretty big and I enjoyed my view of the city. It was fun watching the trains come and go. The room was super spacious and I could comfortably live for the week. Bathroom was great too.

One more thing about the hotel - the fitness room is out of this world!! I have never seen machines like they have there. The displays keep you motivated and truly help with your workout. Bring your iPod or even a USB to save your workout info! The pool was really nice too, larger than most hotel pools. I enjoyed the hot tub and the steam room. In the fitness room they also have cooled, treated facecloths that *really* help you cool down after a workout. It felt luxurious up there with a great view! I wish I could go back right now!

The location of the hotel is also really wonderful. Stephen Ave, a pedestrian street, right out the door. You can stroll along to bars, cafes, restaurants, galleries, shops, etc. Or if you go out the main door you can catch the train right there!

If the Hyatt is looking for ways to improve, perhaps HD channels to go with the HD TVs, and a fridge in the room where you can actually store leftovers etc. would be great. Those would be my suggestions.

All things considered it was a treat to stay at the Hyatt and I very much hope that I can stay there when I return to Calgary for fun and not work. The staff were super - best I have ever encountered and I hope they are thanked and rewarded for how this makes the guests feel!

By the way on checkout I had no trouble getting an erroneous charge removed. Great way to end the stay!

Room Tip: The corner room was great, loved being high up!
3 Thank Stuart_G7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 June 2011

For all the rave review here, I thought the hotel was only average for a Hyatt property. The shared facilities of this hotel (lobby, ground level, bar, poll) were all pretty nice, but the room I was in was less than impressive (and my work paid full rate, not some discount internet rate). It was dark and the decor looked rather outdated. The bathroom was large but pale and outdated looking, not what I would expect of a Hyatt. Overall it is adequate but nothing too impressive.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank BoywonderTo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2011

The Hyatt as always is 5 star. Service was great, checkin really fast. I received everything that I asked for in my initial booking 3 months ago and being upgraded on a gold passport, always welcome. The hotel is central and right on the train route, which I used out to the Chanook shopping centre (do yourself a favour and go here is you have a morning to spare)
The concierge at the hotel needs to be praised for her friendliness and service. She could not do enough for us and arranged a tour of Calgary and a great tour of Banff on our days off. We had a few problems with the wifi, but their helpdesk at 2 am in the morning worked with me to sort out the issues and its touches like this that make the Hyatt a great business Hotel

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to the top floors
1 Thank nicnac1965
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed 12 May 2011

From Hong Kong to Singapore, we end up in Calgary for business at the Hyatt. With a convenient location downtown, a Swimming pool and fitness room on the upper floor as well as a private lounge if you do ask for the regency club at time of booking. The Staff had reminded me a lot of Hong Kong and singapore services we had, professional, dedicated and always a smile. The room and beds are confortable. We had just enough time to try the lounge and the restaurant, from wine to salad and main course it was a pleasure.

2 Thank Mel9915
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Attached to the convention centre, on the o-train, the best rooms and best service of all the large hotels in the downtown.

2 Thank bbanks945
New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed 4 May 2011

This is the second time in 5 months we as a family have stayed at this hotel and I cannot fault anything. It is in a centre of Calgary, easy walking distance to attractions and eating places. The staff were yet again very friendly and helpful. We had a car with us this time and the heated underground parking was very reasonable at $25 a night (especially as we are more used to London prices!!!). The one thing that would have made our stay even better would have been free or at least a more reasonable rate for WiFi internet connection. As long as the standard is maintained at this hotel we will continue to use this hotel on each trip to Calgary.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Lotty786
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 19 April 2011

This review is probably not meaningful for members of Hyatt's reward program who would get (probably pay for) their perks; rather my experience was as a first time Hyatt guest. I was travelling for a conference and did not make the reservation at the hotel. The corporate rate of $179 was perfectly reasonable for the hotel, location and quality of the standard room; but apparently is considered rock-bottom and virtually nothing is included. Even so I did enjoy the room service and paid the $14/day for wi-fi access. Nothing is posted in the room but in my experience hotels generally do not charge more than $1 per minute for long-distance; I made two calls totalling 16 minutes (within Alberta) and was presented with a bill in excess of $50 at checkout. I was livid and offered to pay a reasonable amount but to their credit the staff waived the charges entirely - but made sure I "was aware for future reference" that the fee is a $12 connection charge plus per minute charge. I guess it is acceptable to gouge guests as long as you tell them first. Also, I did not appreciate being told that "I could have upgraded at check-in" (for an additional $70 a night) to have phone privileges, internet and complimentary breakfast. Really? I still would have been even deeper in the hole. Sadly, this seems typical of the few higher-end hotels I've stayed at - treat basics as extras and charge dearly for them. Even though the stay was otherwise very pleasant and they did take care of the phone charges, I still left feeling angry as they seem to think this behaviour is ok and I felt like an ATM machine and not a valued guest.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank calmcool74
ManagementHRC, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Calgary, responded to this review, 3 May 2011
Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We truly value comments such as yours as they allow us the opportunity to make improvements where needed. I was quite disenchanted to hear about the challenges you experienced during your stay, but I can certainly understand your frustrations. Rest assured, I have shared your comments with our management team and we will be evaluating our phone access charges to ensure we are competitive with other major hotel chains, as well as ensuring the applicable charges are displayed properly in the guestroom.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Keith Butz