“Great downtown hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Surrey, Canada
“Great downtown hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

I booked through Hotwire and I was afraid I would be shortchanged like I have been at other hotels. This definitely was not the case here at the Hyatt. I was given a lovely room on the 14th floor with great views, and a nice king bed. The room was incredibly clean, the staff incredibly friendly. I definitely recommend this hotel if you plan on staying in downtown Calgary.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights - Friday and Saturday. This is lovely hotel - very clean and well maintained. Although the rooms are nothing unique they have everything needed and the beds are very comfortable. The lobby is beautiful and there are some lovely peaces of artwork to admire. I thought the parking was quite reasonably priced. The breakfast in the restaurant was excellent - lots of choice and the buffet included freshly cooked pancakes, eggs Benedict and waffles. We had lunch at the sandstone on Saturday afternoon and it was amazing. I really wish we had booked there for supper too. We will definitely return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

As a Platinum member of Hyatt and as a world traveler, I regularly stay at Hyatt properties around the world. Just recently I was at the Hyatt Regency in Mainz, Germany, Johannesburg, South Africa and Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

In all fairness and based upon my experience with so many international Hyatt properties, I was a bit disappointed with the Hyatt Regency in Calgary. My reservation was for the Regency Club level. The hotel was apparently not crowded, yet my room was on the 16th floor and the Regency Club lounge was on the 18th floor. I was not offered any form of upgrade upon arrival, which is quite unusual for a Platinum member when a hotel is not heavily booked. My room was adequate, but I had to call down for bottled drinking water and house slippers, as none were provided. I was also quite surprised that the bathroom did not have a separate shower, but rather it was over the bathtub. As an older guest who has had two foot surgeries, utilizing a shower over a tub is daunting.

The room was clean, properly furnished, but somehow lacked that extra special feeling of elegance that is generally the atmosphere offered in a Regency Club room. This is not meant to be a complaint, as the room was adequate. This is simply an observation.

I also found that it was impossible to get a light meal. Room service and the restaurant only had one soup available - cream of celery. There was no other choice, and after a 10.5 hour flight from Frankfurt with an 8-hour time change, I simply wanted a light option. I ended up having some crackers and cheese plus a cup of tea in the Regency Club lounge.

In the morning I had an early room service breakfast of toast, croissant and tea. And without adding an extra gratuity, the cost was over $23, which frankly was excessive. Between the GST, service charge, gratuity charge and delivery fee, this was overly expensive for what was provided. The Regency Club lounge was not set to open until 7 AM, whereas in most lounges worldwide the opening hour is generally 6:30. And I had to leave the hotel at 7:30 for a flight to the U. S.

I would stay at the Hyatt Regency Calgary in the future, but at least I would not have any great expectations. My next trip in April will be taking me to Hyatt properties in Hong Kong and Vancouver, and I at least know what to expect - a level of quality higher than Calgary.

Room Tip: The upper floors offer nice views of the city, especially those facing to the west.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Lewis D
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Comfortable beds, quiet room, spacious room - a very pleasant experience. I ended up getting a corner room which, while it had a bit of an odd layout, was very nice. I like thinks cool and dark when I sleep and this room was pretty good. Good blackout curtains, not a whole lot of annoying lights from fridges or smoke alarms to light up the room and you could dim the clock. HVAC worked very well too.

Check and and check out were very fast. I tried using the internet check in but it wasn't working, though. When I was checking out someone in the short line ahead of me was taking their time and the clerk immediately got another clerk to come and help the rest of us.

Wasn't able to try the food in the hotel except for a snack from the Bakery in the lobby, which was fine and very reasonably priced.

My only minor annoyance was that there was a wine glass in the hall by the door of the next room and it sat there the entire two days I was there.

Convenient downtown location and the doormen were very helpful in checking luggage, getting taxis etc.

Would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are very nice - odd configuration but spacious.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

In Dec 2013 I took my 82 year old Mum to Canada for her first white Christmas. We chose the Hyatt Regency through a mystery booking. We could not have chosen better. The room was lovely with a clear view of the city. It was well appointed with plenty of room for our 3 night stay. It is situated very close to the walking mall where you can enter through one of the department stores and walk internally thorugh they buildings. The Calgary tower is a very short walk from the Regency also. The level of customer service is second to none. Both concierge, Paul and Jeffery could not do enough for us, arranging wheel chairs and our transport to some very hard to get to places. As it was Christmas we had trouble getting to Fernie but the boys did not give up until they had made our arrangements. Jeffrey was especially determined to make our travels successful and I can not say how appreciative we both were for his non stop support. This was truly a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the city and if travelling with an elderly person, arrange a room close t...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

This hotel is centrally located in downtown Calgary and has everything within walking distance! We arrived at midday and the front desk staff were so nice and were able to accommodate us with an early check in.

The hotel has two great restaurants - Catch & The Oyster Bar & Thomson's - both which serve sustainable seafood and are some of the afterwork hotspots.

The rooms (and bathrooms!) are quite large and very clean. The beds are so comfortable that you don't want to leave! The Regency Club is also excellent to be a part of as they serve delicious cookies throughout the day! I did not use the spa/pool, but it looked very inviting.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

Room was a little small but bed was great, super clean (we had the special air purified room), and the bathroom was huge!

We had a room at the end of the hotel furthest away from the c-train so we were in a quieter area.

Check-in was easy, front desk clerk was SUPER friendly. Concierge was really friendly and helpful with parking and luggage upon check-in and also when we asked for directions and gave us some tips about riding the c-train. Conveniently, there is a c-train stop right outside the hotel! So that was great. We took the train back around ten pm and it was a little sketchy outside...there seemed to be a lot of closed and/or abandoned businesses on the street behind the hotel.

Downside was parking (non-valet) was 25 bucks...pretty crazy.

There is also a great restaurant attached to the hotel - great because when we stayed it was like -35 outside and we didn't feel like walking anywhere. There was also an elevator to the underground parking.

Room Tip: Rooms furthest from the c-train are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family