“Does the trick”

Ranked #15 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Toronto
“Does the trick”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The Hyatt Regency Calgary is a nice hotel with great staff. Stayed here during Stampede and was pleased with the quality of the hotel experience. Located in a good spot in the middle of the city, close to shopping, restaurants and walkable to the stampede grounds. Clean rooms.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I booked into the Hyatt Regency for a two week stay. When I checked in I was given room 1707. Nice room, basic but nice with a city view. About 9pm that night all that changed when I heard continuous thumping and banging from the floor above. On investigation I found out that the room about me was the gym / fitness centre. It is open 24 hours. 5am next morning same noises and thumping from about. Given I did not want two weeks of this I requested a room change from the front desk....I was told the hotel was full. The next day i requested again for a room change, i got the same reply.....after day 8 of this i moved out of the Hyatt. I was asked why i was leaving by the front desk, i stated my reasons, the lady then replied, that the hotel was not full at all and i could have changed rooms.....basically i was lied to......this is the way a Gold passport member is treated at this hotel!

The next issue i have is with the concierge. There are a number of very well groomed young men standing around looking pretty and important. If you so much as ask them for directions or help they refer straight to google....they have no clue as to local amenities and offer little to no advise. They are a complete waste of time. On one occasion i went to the concierge to ask about car hire, i stood there for 10 mins waiting for someone to show up.....i found two young men outside the hotel laughing and joking around....they had no clue where the local car rental was, they referred to google, as it happens the car rental company was right around the corner from the hotel........

On check out i was amazed to see a number of charges on my bill from the restaurant. Every breakfast the server would insist that i sign the bill even though breakfast is included in my room rate. When i queried the extra frees i was told this was because i was part of a group.....i said i am not part of a group. i basically sat with a bunch of friends for breakfast. I came, ate and left.....they applied this fee to everyone that say together. No one mentioned this to us. we were not a group, we were a bunch of individuals that sat together for breakfast. This is a downright con on the part of the hotel. In the end after a very heated argument, the fees were reversed.

What a place.....this hotel gives the Hyatt brand a very bad name. Given the choice i will not be setting foot into this place ever again.....the staff are generally unhelpful and very unfriendly. All they are interested in are the tips......Welcome to the Hyatt Calgary!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Hyatt during the stampede and had a great experience. Beds were the most comfortable I have slept on in a hotel and the rooms were spacious. Great gym with a walk out deck and the pool was clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful with assisting us in loading our car and mountain bikes when leaving. The location can't be beat- you're in walking distance to all the great restaurants and boutiques! My only complaint is having to pay $30 a day for parking. I realize the hotel is downtown and the public also have access to the parkade but it would have been nice to be recognized for being a paying customer of the hotel; at least have a discount on parking.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Nick F, Manager at Hyatt Regency Calgary, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Greetings Mushu3,

Thank you for recent stay with and feedback. We are very thankful for your experience and hope to have you back as our guest soon. If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to reach out to me. We wish you all the best.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Great city centre hotel for business travellers. Staff are very attentive, hotel is clean, breakfasts filling and rooms big with comfy beds.

Great location next to Stephen Avenue.

Couldn't fault this hotel in anyway. My go-to location when in Calgary.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Greetings Dsreid70,

Thank you for recent stay with and feedback. We are very thankful for your experiences around the hotel from the rooms to the food and beverage. We hope to have you back as our guest soon. If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to reach out to me. We wish you all the best.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Booked the Hyatt for Stampede. Excellent service and flexibility (almost two hours after checkout time because of hung over roommate - no problem), central to the city and good services and shopping within walking distance. Stampede is also within walking distance if weather is good and you are so inclined. Otherwise trip to Stampede grounds is a short cab ride.
The roommate I mentioned? VERY fussy about beds when we travel. Big thumbs up for the beds here!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Greetings Drdave007,

Thank you for recent stay with and feedback. We are very thankful for your experience and grateful we were able to help your roommate out. We hope to have you back soon as our guest. If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to reach out to me. We wish you all the best.

Kelowna
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We were well received upon arrival at this hotel. I felt like I was a celebrity the way they whisked me up to the front desk and processed our room so quickly. Excellent staff and service! This hotel is centrally located and steps from Stephen Ave which is great. It is a short cab ride/walk from the Saddle Dome as well which is great for concerts, etc. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone! Thank you!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank oscar777
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed at the Hyatt on a late stopover and loved the location and ambience. The staff were very helpful and the rooms were clean and cozy.
Being downtown is also excellent as it gives you access to many spots to eat and visit.
Stay here...you will like it.

Only negative would be having to pay for parking...quite expensive for this service.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple