“Great Historic Hotel with big rooms!”

Ranked #22 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 28 March 2011

My friend and I stayed here to go to a concert. We stayed 2 nights in a room with 2 double beds.

The room was very room, with lots of space! The view out the window was less than desirable, but we weren't there for the view.

It's located right next to the calgary tower.

The prices were great per night!

Room service, rather, the food we ordered from room service at 11pm was not the greatest. But it was fast.

I ended up getting a concussion that night and upon returning to the hotel I called housekeeping asking for an iced pack, they said they would look but the didn't know that they had any. 5 minutes later we have a knock at the door from the a nurse(?) at the hotel, with a bag of ice and some advil! God send!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank lanatasha
GMPalliser, Director of Operations at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2011

lanatasha,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are so pleased to hear that you were thrilled with your room and rate at The Fairmont Palliser. Our colleagues take great pride in going above and beyond for our guests and we sincerely hope you are feeling better! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards,

Frédéric Pare
Director of Operations

Reviewed 21 February 2011

This is not the first time staying at the Palliser, but it may be our last. We booked a junior suite and the room itself was fine. However, in order to sit on the toilet one had to be double-jointed to use it. Once seated on the toilet one had to be sure that the floor heater did not touch your leg as it was extremely hot. We were on the fourth floor facing the railyards and the continual din of passing trains made having a good night sleep virtually impossible. Added to the noise and despite our best efforts we could not get the heat in the room above 18.5 degrees (one a -20 degrees evening). Any hopes that a warm shower would refresh us in the morning were quickly dashed as the shower head delivered a stinging spray of water. When the front desk was advised of the problems, they were aware of the situation and mentioned the hotel should change the shower heads at some point. While we have stayed at the Palliser frequently, this experience will cause us to consider whether we will stay again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank right1
GMPalliser, Director of Operations at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2011

right1,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Fairmont Palliser. I sincerely apologize for any discontent you may have experienced, and truly value the feedback you have provided. As a loyal guest, your experience is extremely important and I can assure you that your concerns have been addressed. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Fairmont Palliser, in hopes of restoring your confidence in us.

Frédéric Pare
Director of Operations

Reviewed 12 February 2011

I stayed at the Fairmont Palliser for one night with my father before returning home from a Rocky Mountaineer rail vacation. I loved its location near the pedestrian mall and all the details around to the hotel that were an homage to its railway history.

Our room was spacious, though minimal in decor. We had a perfect view of the tower from out our window. Beds were comfy and the bathroom was great. I spent some time in the swimming pool where I met lots of friendly Canadian's who asked me dozens of questions about what it is like to live in NY....meanwhile I was jealous that they all lived in beautiful Canada.

I loved walking around the gorgeous lobby and seeing all the pictures and posters of the hotels history. They offer a menu of very unique non alcoholic beverages. They were very overpriced for not having any booze ($9 each I think), but they were delicious. I always give extra points to places that make special drinks for people who don't drink.

The one bad part of our experience here was the room service. We ordered a few different items. None of them were great, but I had ordered a turkey burger and it was entirely inedible. It was blackened on the outside, hard as a rock and grainy to chew when I did try to take a bite. I did report this and they offered us a free dessert and took it off our bill. Perfect response from them, but I have to note the food sucked.

If you are in Calgary on a quick trip. This is a nice place to unwind. The whole city is undergoing tons of construction which can be distracting, but its not the hotels fault and they do their best to keep it quiet.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank RobynPringTravel
Reviewed 2 February 2011

We have stayed at the Fairmont Palliser several times before and had found it to be “tired”.

The recent renovation has retained the charm of this historic hotel, yet modernized it to what you would expect of a 4 star property: new carpet, textured wallpaper, thick mattresses, fan in bathroom, good water pressure and a 47” flat screen. The colour scheme is soothing (cream, aqua and chocolate). The furniture is a modern twist on classic styles. Fairmont has done an excellent job on the renovated floors!

We were attending a corporate function in the main Crystal Ballroom, so we didn’t spend much time in the room. Much to our dismay.

The staff (as always) is helpful, friendly and welcoming. We had reserved a “classic” king room, but I believe we were upgraded to a “deluxe” king which faced the courtyard.

I look forward to our next annual overnighter at the Palliser.

Tip: go with the $30/day valet parking. It enables you to have front door service and unlimited in/out privileges. The attached public parkade will charge you for every entry (and it’s covered but not heated).

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StarbucksTina
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I was staying on a government rate ($199 per night), which at some hotels means getting less than the best treatment. Still, I was surprised that my request for a king or queen sized bed couldn't have been honoured during what seemed to be a relatively slow period. The door and lobby staff were certainly friendly, though, and the public areas remain very grand. The health club was small but pretty good (though I wonder for how long the recumbent bike has needed repair). And I'm used to having the cleaning staff at hotels replace anything (shoe polishing mitt, toiletries, etc.) that is used, so was surprised that that didn't happen. Great location, though, so I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank WandererOnTheRoad
Reviewed 25 January 2011

Hard to believe this hotel is not ranked higher among the downtown major hotels in Calgary. It must be due to the consutruction noise complaints of recent times, which appeared complete while I was there (i.e. no noise). The renovated room was fantastic; huge windows that open, quiet HVAC, flat panel tv, new carpeting, high quality bed and bathroom. The restaurant breakfast buffet was great quality - pricey, but no different than other similar hotels. The pool is great, with a much better spa atmosphere than most. Staff was friendly all around. The hotel just feels a bit more classy than the other choices. Would be hard not to book again when staying downtown.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank BelgianBrew
Reviewed 23 January 2011

As my fiance was in Calgary for the weekend, and we had a houseful of guests at our home, I decided to book a room for a night at the Palliser so we could have a little time for ourselves. While our room was small it had been recently renovated and we found it very clean and comfortable for a weekend stay. While some recent reviewers have lamented that the hotel is not what it used to be, travelers should inquire about the reno's (as our room was not worn or dated), as well as consider the very competitive pricing the hotel gives guests for weekend stays. Yes, the new hotel across the street is shiny, new and the latest and greates, but man do you pay for it! I think all things considered, the Palliser is still a fantastic hotel in one of the best locations in town.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
GMPalliser, Communications Manager at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2011

Hopefullylost,

Thank you for providing such wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay at The Fairmont Palliser! We are thrilled to hear that you and your fiancé had such a wonderful weekend and we are delighted that you enjoyed our recent renovations. If you are ever looking for another escape, be sure to try our romantic Wonderful Tonight package!

Kind Regards,