“Great spot for Stampede parade viewing”

The Fairmont Palliser
Ranked #24 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 29 July 2011

As an older hotel, could use a little freshening up, but as far as service and amenities. great spot. For the Stampede parade, walk out the front door, and it is right there. Fantastic.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Houston940
GMPalliser, Director of Operations at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2011

Thank you for your review of The Fairmont Palliser. Centrally located in downtown Calgary, we are conveniently situated near the city’s business and financial district and are within walking distance of the city’s most exciting retail shopping, arts, culture and entertainment venues. As you noted, we are just blocks away from the Calgary Stampede Grounds and the Calgary Stampede Parade passes right in front of our hotel. Join us again next year for the Calgary Stampede’s Centennial Celebration!

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (2,466)

Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed at the Fairmont Palliser for 2 nights, in a Palliser Suite, with ourselves and our 5 yr old daughter, and loved it! There was plenty of room and amazing comfort for all. The service from the Bellman to the maid was impeccable, and makes it worth staying with the Fairmont group of hotel every time.

The pool was great and very relaxing, as was the hot tub. Once again great service from the pool staff. The change rooms were spacious and carried all of the little amenities the you would need.

I would honestly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Calgary.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Bluecreamcat
GMPalliser, Communications Manager at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2011

We are so pleased to hear that you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay at The Fairmont Palliser. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon!

Best,

Jessica Reynolds
Communications Manager

Reviewed 28 July 2011

This is the most dated Fairmont in the chain. Lobby, elevators and rooms are extremely dated and I suspect this is the reason the rate was less than the Calgary Marriott across the street. I probably would stay here only if I needed cheap points for Presidents Club.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Doug D

Thank you for your feedback. We have recently undergone a significant multi-phase renovation project that is sure to impress! We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back, in hopes of restoring your confidence in us.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

We had an interesting stay over the Mothers day weekend. The new gold lounge wasn't yet opened but we had a great buffet and excellent service. The hotel is just beautiful and the areas that we saw were very well-kept and clean. This is what an luxury CP hotel is. Our 'first' room was just lovely. A large corner room with an amazing big bathroom for an older hotel. understated elegance. Huge walk-in closet. Decent bed and my daughter was fine on the sofa bed. It was fantastic. I'll post pics later. We really enjoyed it but when we returned on our 3rd night it smelled horrible. I mean migraine inducing strong horrible Cigar or something nasty smell. My 13 yr old daughter and I couldn't handle it. We opened the windows and left the room to tell the Gold concierge but all they could do was give us another room. It was later and there was not time for them to air it out. They apparently gave us an upgrade to a jr suite but it was actually not as nice. Acceptable but a let down from the other room. The room was abit cramped and smaller. Bathroom was small. The sofabed was not in as good condition. The concierge did come to help us move and mentioned that she would tell the management about the smell but we never heard what it was. However the gold concierge did hear us say we were going to just watch a movie and order in and she sent us a lovely complimentary dessert with our meal and a little note. Nice touch. But I did get a migraine and was ill most of the next day - where the jr suite door was convenient in that my d could watch TV while I lay down. We missed out on a planned day of shopping with an old friend - I was also ill for the death by chocolate we had planned that next night but I did take my daughter. I only had a soup but the staff at the restaurant were wonderful and sent us back to the room with a small plate for me. A few hours later my meds were finally working and I enjoyed the yummy chocolates. Truly the staff is great. Valets were helpful and quick too. Room service: We enjoyed our meals very much and the table set was beautiful. However on the saturday we were going to the stampede conference center and had ordered the lunch picnic option. (Lobster croissant is amazing!) I had arranged to pick it up at the concierge desk on our way out. They messed up our order. We each got a sandwich and a water but nothing else that was supposed to go in it. I should have checked because the room service lady on the phone didn't seem to know what I was talking about but we were in a rush. Now the concierge did take 50% off but I'd rather have had the order correct especially as the food at the conference was lined up and limited. I do recommend the lobster croissant picnic; just check they have it right. (and bring a little freezy thing). I would give the hotel an excellent but the beds could be a bit more comfy. The sofabed mattress's need changing and the second room was just very good.

Room Tip: Corner room and gold level!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Mrs_SuzeyQ

We sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review of your recent stay at The Fairmont Palliser. I would also like to thank you for your feedback regarding your In-Room Dining experience. We have taken all your comments into consideration and I can assure you that your concerns have been addressed. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your Fairmont Gold experience and we hope to see you again soon! Our new Fairmont Gold Lounge is officially open and we can’t wait for you to experience it!

Reviewed 25 July 2011

From start to finish....the experience was blissful! Check-in for the concierge floor has its own private check-in, the bell man was incredibly gracious and the valet was helpful. The rooms are well appointed and while small, are tastefully decorated to support the grandeur of the hotel history. With stampede week in full force, the energy and vibe kept it hopping!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank wqh
GMPalliser, Director of Operations at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to publish such a wonderful review of your recent stay at The Fairmont Palliser. We are very excited about our newly renovated Fairmont Gold product and are so happy that you enjoyed it so much!

Reviewed 25 July 2011

The Palliser is another of the traditional CP rail hotels that have such a great sense of history and tradition. I had a short stay, but my room was nice, comfortable - and very large, thanks to a complementary upgrade. Nice breakfast buffet too with good service.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Backle
Reviewed 24 July 2011

A Calgary landmark. Like many great Canadian hotels built by Canadian Pacific Railways and now in the sure and reliant management of Fairmont. London Ritz meets Canadian plains but nicely informal. Opened in 1914 which makes it an ancient landmark in this city. Liked the way all the staff dressed up in Cowboy shirts and hats for the Calgary stampede. You sense the bar is a great meeting place where you can also order meals in a relaxed atmosphere - big portions and of course chops and steak on the menu. Sensibly they have not removed the old brass fitments - the post box and the internal communications system in the lift lobby.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank davidkenny617
GMPalliser, Communications Manager at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2011

Hello,

We are delighted to hear that you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay at The Fairmont Palliser and that your Calgary Stampede experience was so memorable. Be sure to join us next year for the Calgary Stampede’s centennial celebration!

Jessica Reynolds