“Excellent hotel”

The Fairmont Palliser
Ranked #23 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I stayed 2 nights at the Fairmont Palliser.
I selected the gold room and I must say: the service was amazing.
Great staff, very friendly and attentive.
The concierges were amazing.
The day I left, I even got printed directions for the next trip and a very friendly note.

The restaurant was also good, and the service top notch.

I really had a very good time there!

If you go to Calgary, no doubt, this is the place to be!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
GMPalliser, Director of Sales & Marketing at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2011

Thank you so much for taking valuable time to review The Fairmont Palliser on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our new Fairmont Gold Floor and our property’s unparalleled service. I will be sure to pass on your applause to our Fairmont Gold team and colleagues of The Rimrock Restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back to “the place to be” very soon.

Regards,

David Woodward
Director of Sales & Marketing

Write a ReviewReviews (2,390)

Reviewed 21 September 2011

First off, I am a little biased towards the classic Fairmont railway hotels in Canada. The Palliser did not disappoint. It has a grand lobby filled with very helpful staff. The lobby bar is a great place to have a pint at the end of the day. The rooms were a good size and well-maintained. The property is well-situated downtown with a short walk to most major shopping areas.

Calgary is a wonderful city and the Palliser made for a lovely respite at the end of the day. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank guybeachbum
GMPalliser, Communications Manager at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2011

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback! It gives us great pleasure to welcome loyal guests such as yourself. We are so pleased to hear that your stay was so relaxing and memorable and that you had the opportunity to enjoy the luxuries of our downtown location. We sincerely look forward to your return.

Jessica Reynolds
Communications Manager

Reviewed 19 September 2011

The Fairmont in Calgary, Canada was lovely. My room was nice. I ate in the Oak Room. The food was good and service was great. I went to bed very early as I had to get up for a 4:30am pick up for the airport. The staff was so nice to me and made me a cup of coffee. They were so worried that I wasn't awake at 3:30am. Very nice.
It is in a great location for walking the pedestrian only streets and going up to the top of the Tower. I really enjoyed my day in Calgary. FYI, there are many trains that go by the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank ewilkens
GMPalliser, Director of Operations at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2011

Thank you so much for providing us with your feedback. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time in Calgary and your stay at The Fairmont Palliser. We look forward to being your “home away from home" once again.

Regards,

Reviewed 17 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel in July with 2 teenage daughters. Excellent service ,lovely big rooms, nice spa style pool etc.Big corporate style hotel but with class and elegance. The bar in the evening is a very relaxing place to be. Go to the restaurant for Sunday buffet breakfast it is delightful. The hotel has a great location only a few metres from the Calgary tower and a block from the Glenbow. My only moan would be that the bathroom was small for the 4 of us especially with the teenage girls. However due to the style of the hotel all rooms are not uniform so I suspect we were unlucky. Other than this full marks to the Palliser.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank JayceeSurrey

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us during your time in Calgary. We sincerely appreciate your feedback, particularly in regards to our service and buffet breakfast. We are so pleased that you had the opportunity to enjoy our Boulevard level pool and Oak Room Lounge as well. Our unique guest rooms vary in shapes and sizes but we do offer a variety of categories to suit the needs of even the most discerning guests. We look forward to hosting you and your family again soon.

Reviewed 15 September 2011

When my wife and I have had enough we take a mini- honeymoon in our own city. And on Calgary the place to hide and be pampered is the Palliser. I love the old glamour and great food. The mood is romantic and exquisite You can walk to the Calgary tower without going outside this is my favorite splurge. Not cheap but worth every penny

• Stayed: December 2010

Thank you so much for your feedback. It is such an honour to be the locale of choice for your mini-honeymoons. We very much look forward to your next stay and sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 14 September 2011

This place is a historic marvel and that alone makes the stay worthwhile. The architecture in the grand lobby takes your breath away, the lounges and restaurants make you feel like you are in an old world gentlemen's club. The staff is without exception the best I've ever had the pleasure to deal with, and the room, while smaller, was handsomely appointed and the bed was the most comfy I've EVER slept in. Honestly. But there are a few things that were negatives that detract from the overall great impression you get, and can leave a bad taste in your mouth. For example, there is a bottle of water in your room - nice touch, if you weren't charged $7 to open it. WiFi is available but for a daily fee as well. These are things that should be free in this day and age, and simply saying "Please enjoy this with our compliments" would be a simple and classy touch. I was afraid to eat the mints left in our room or wear the plush bath robes for fear of being charged for them! (Okay, a little exaggeration, but still...) Overall, the hotel works its charm well and I would consider staying again for this kind of business trip.

Room Tip: The rooms are small, because it's an historic hotel and that's what they did. The beds are s...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Timber9762
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We were impressed with the "old world charm' when we first walked in. The staff was helpful and friendly. We were with a group of six and only one room was available. When we were finally led to our room, we realized that a freight train was running past our windows. We asked if it ran all day and they admitted that it was used 24 hours a day. The room was nice but we asked for a change. The only one left was a room with two beds instead of the king bed we had reserved. The furniture is no longer charming but dated. The linens were lovely, but the hotel had a drab feeling to it. Since it has no view, I think other travelers would do just as well at a new, more updated hotel in the area.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank mashkie D
GMPalliser, Director of Operations at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our property’s old world charm and that you found our staff to be helpful and friendly. We apologize for any inconvenience that the train may have caused you and for not being able to accommodate your preferred bed size due to occupancy. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon, in hopes of restoring your confidence in us.

Frédéric Pare