“Not what you'd expect from Fairmont.”

The Fairmont Palliser
Ranked #24 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Yes the hotel is beautiful and historic looking, but the rooms are quite out dated, the grand ballroom looks gorgeous and the marble floors and entrance lead you to believe that your room will be much the same. Truth be told the rooms are a bit of a let down for the price. Not to be misconstrued. The rooms are nice, just small and not of the value that they charge. No comparison to the Fairmont in Banff! The location is good, but the parking is awful you have to use Valet and the front is often filled with cabs, not very easy to get in and out.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CalgaryCuisine
Write a ReviewReviews (2,436)

Reviewed 5 January 2013

As a Calgarian I have always loved the Palliser, from Sunday Brunch, High School Graduation and sophisticated cocktails for the young and working. I recently spent two days/nights at this hotel for my niece's weddding and have also stayed at the Fairmont Copley in Boston, Lake Louise and Banff Springs. From the excellent and helpful front desk team, to the helpful lounge and breakfast staff, to the ever efficient and on her toes wedding coordinator Heather I honestly cannot comment this hotel and their many faceted team enough. To top off their gracious service and hospitality, they were very helpful in esuring our wheelchair bound Mom, grandmother of the bride, was safely put in a wheelchair from a cab and called us to announce her arrival the day of the wedding. Thank you again Heather and everyone at the Pallier for making this a wonderful wedding and weekend getaway; as you said we may do this many times a weekend but for your niece, The Bride, this is once in a lifetime. Your staff exemplify this motto in every aspect of their job.

1  Thank stlucia06
Reviewed 3 January 2013

In our trip to Canada we've stayed in three Fairmont hotels, Lake Louise, Banff and Calgary. We had a great time in all of them, but the last one was for sure the one that disappointed us somehow. Although it is located in a nice area, our room was just beside a railway manoeuvre area and it was disturbingly noisy. Valet parking very expensive too.

Room Tip: ask for a room far from the trains manoeuvre area.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rosana V
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Nice and close to Stephen Ave mall which has many bars and restaurants. Valet parking for the Palliser is expensive but that's Calgary. I would suggest saving the money for valet on the weekend and park yourself as they use the same parking garage (which is not heated by the way) The room we had was at a discounted rate for a company Christmas party, they are small but cozy. This was a better option than having to find a cab at the end of the evening during the holiday season. Nicely furnished and comfortable beds.Will stay again next year!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank drock5280
Reviewed 28 December 2012

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel. The service was fantastic particularly the front desk staff. Our room was lovely however my only issue was no storage space for luggage within the room, consequently it was quite difficult to move.

2  Thank alicimw
TheFairmontPalliser, Public Relations Manager at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback and positive review of our front desk staff and your room. Next time you stay with us, we hope you’ll have a room with more storage, but if not, we’d be happy to help store any luggage to provide more room while you enjoy your stay. We hope to see you soon.

Thank you.
Best,
Jacqueline Tyler
Communications Manager
The Fairmont Palliser

Reviewed 16 December 2012

I have been to 7 Fairmont hotels in Canada and the US to date. Fairmont Palliser is currently lowest on my list. This hotel is small and unexciting. The check-in experience is great but, that's about it. The attendant at the pool seems indifferent to its guests. Gym is tiny. Room is dated. The nightstand cabinet at my bed smells moldy. Central air conditioner noisy. No doorman is present when I got the hotel, let alone someone to offer helping me with my language.

I stayed at this hotel as it is my last night in Calgary after returning from Banff. I am OK with this location as I am staying here on an off season promotional rate. i certainly would not consider this location if I had to pay the regular price.

Room Tip: Room here at best is average.
3  Thank Scopix
TheFairmontPalliser, General Manager at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2012

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. We regret to learn that your experience was less than exceptional and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience these concerns may have caused during your stay. We can assure you that this is not our standard, and we thank you for your understanding. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back, in hopes of restoring your confidence in us.

Kind Regards,

Dan McGowan

Reviewed 14 December 2012

I booked a room featuring a $50 food credit promotion for my 50th birthday. Two days before check-in, I double-checked the room rate online and noted the rate dropped enough to prompt me to call the hotel prior to the cancellation time. I always book hotels directly specifically because I do not need to rely on a third party acting on my behalf with such matters.
The wonderful Fairmont employee noted the rate I was paying and confirmed the rate difference. Though she was unable to refund the difference, she offered a room upgrade worth twice the price difference to suite 502! Super quite, wonderfully cozy and definately the room I will request next year for my 51st birthday!
Now we (and the staff) found the actual promotion details fuzzy. Can't use it for breakfast, but OK for in-room dining, which has breakfast options (!?!). Though I didn't feel the staff had a great grasp on the nuances of the promotion, the awesome 502 upgrade, terrific "brunch" approved with the promotion and of course the spa visit made for a fantastic 50th birthday! I simply LOVE this hotel!

Room Tip: I find west side-facing suites REALLY cold in the winter (due to the age of the property). From Nove...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Notam
TheFairmontPalliser, Director of Operations at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2012

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay at The Fairmont Palliser. We sincerely appreciate your wonderful, detailed feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Calgary and thank you again for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

Best Regards,