Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
Hotel Arts(Calgary)
  • Restaurant
2,524 results
All reviewsgold floorthe penthousepresidents clubcalgary towerclassic hoteltrain tracksbeautiful hotelvalet parkingrocky mountaineersteam roomvalet servicestephen avenueheart of downtowncalgary stampedeoakloungeconcierge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Pros: Great downtown location, beautifully maintained, excellent staff & service
Cons: Can't think of any

The two of us were getting away by ourselves and had the choice of the traditional, modern hotels in downtown Calgary or this classic beauty. It was no more expensive than the "modern" designs and was a sheer delight. Our room was small, of course, and we saved money by not staying on a premium floor, but enjoying the "bed & breakfast" special pricing instead. The hotel and restaurant service was impeccable and the concierge and valets were very helpful. The property is beautiful and well-maintained. We noticed on the map that the hotel backs up to train tracks, but we did not hear any noise during our two-night stay. The hotel is very close to popular downtown tourist venues, such as the Glenbow Museum, 8th Ave pedestrian mall, Calgary Tower and Devonian Gardens. We enjoyed breakfast in the Rimrock dining room and our package was for buffet breakfast, which had everything you could want from cold to hot dishes. We had a drink in the Oak Room one evening and it is a large and very pleasant lounge. The 2-person musical combo on our night was rather average, but we had no expectations there.

Room Tip: This is of course an older design, so many of the rooms have no view, facing into a U-shaped portion of the building, so ask if that is important to you.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
TheFairmontPalliser, Public Relations Manager at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Hello there,

It means so much to us that you took the time to tell us how much you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We feel honoured that out of all of Calgary’s choices for hotels, you selected us for our “classic beauty” and we hope you join us again for another “getting away bed & breakfast escape.”

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Having recently stayed at the Fairmont Macdonald Hotel in Edmonton, which far exceeded our expectations, my husband and I decided to spend a night at the Palliser for our second anniversary sans our son. Upon check-in, we asked if it was possible to get a room with a hot tub. The gentleman working the club membership reception told us that the Fairmont was not a motel with heart-shaped tubs. I though that comment extremely rude and condescending.

The basic room rate was high, but we were given a room upgrade because of our Fairmont Club Membership, which was nice. The room was large and looked to have been recently renovated, which we appreciated. Unfortunately, it was the hottest week in Calgary that summer and the AC didn't work. Although these things can happen, what we found unacceptable was lack of customer service (as noted above during check-in) and the poorly run reception upon check-out. Rather than checkout online or through the TV, we wanted to check-out in person so we could inform that staff about the broken AC. There was a huge line at the regular reception desk at 10 am and no one at the express Club Membership Desk. We waited for half an hour before someone came to the Club desk (the regular check-in/check-out line didn't move at all during that entire time). By that time everyone who was waiting was irritated.

I wrote an email to the Fairmont Palliser expressing my disappointment with our stay. I didn't even get an acknowledgement of the email. To ensure that someone did, in fact, note my displeasure, I also tweeted the Palliser--still no response. Unbelievably, I was sent a customer satisfaction survey a week later, which I filled out. Again zero response. I think this hotel, while beautiful, is poorly managed.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wanderlust1981
TheFairmontPalliser, Public Relations Manager at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Hello,

It is with deep regret I read the unfortunate review and feelings towards your recent stay you had with us this past July. As communications manager for the hotel, it also saddens me that I did not catch your Tweet to caption the details of your experience. I apologize for the service you received by our front desk staff where it’s no where near our standard.

I welcome you to email me directly, jacqueline.tyler@fairmont.com as we’re also unaware of receiving any prior email on note of this from you. I would personally like to find more about the details of your stay and look forward to the chance to host you again sometime in the near future where you’ll experience our service and luxury how it’s intended to be lived.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Every year my husband and I go on a mini vacation to get away. I always like to check out new hotels in the downtown area since there is so much to do. This year we stayed at this hotel and i was blown away from the beauty. Its like stepping back in time with the marble and high ceilings. I booked reservations through the hotels website and informed them that we'll be booking in at 1. when we got there our room wasn't ready, but we upgraded to the larger room on our own cost. Also they dont have there own parking so we had to pay either for per day rate of vallet or in ther parkade next door which is a payeach time you come and go. The vallet gentalmen we're amazing and told us were there was free parking in the area. All the staff was friendly and very helpful. The waitresses in the dinning room even gave us a tour and a bit of a history lession on the hotel. the goodies in the room were very expensive... $8.00 for 1L of bottled water.. Room was very clean and huge! I recommend staying in the hotle at least once for the piece of history but we wont be staying again because of the cost.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stacy s

Hello Stacy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our stay and we’re blown away by our hotel’s beauty. We apologize for any inconvenience you endured over parking upon your stay – we’re located in a city where parking proves to reamin difficult, but are pleased to hear the bellman were able to advise their recommendations to suit you. We also hope you could join us again soon while you take advance of the Weekend Special rates we offer for affordable leisure activity (more info on our website.)

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Clean. Friendly. Helpful. Even the cleaning team is a delight! Stay on the 8th floor. Use the pool and health facilities. The bar is great too. The old mail chute is real! Rooms are very quiet and soundproof.

Room Tip: Stay on the 8th floor!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ann B

Hello Ann,

We hope you did mail a postcard or two and use the original mail chute! Thank you kindly for the post on a stay that was “clean, friendly and helpful” we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 3 August 2013

I found the Palliser to be more like Winnipeg's Fort Garry than the more majestic Fairmonts that come to mind. They both have lovely exteriors, grand lobby's & ballrooms but the standard rooms are fairly small and not all that exciting. Though the beds are very comfy and the decor is traditional with dark wood furnishings and soothing earth tones.

My inside room was quiet - no traffic noise, however the gap at the bottom of my door allowed hallway noise to travel and I was woken twice by people walking by talking & laughing.

Like many brands these days, the Fairmont's focus is on it's loyalty members and has a couple of quite unique services including golf clubs to loan out and work out clothes to rent as well as the more standard services. I just signed up after my booking was made and enjoyed the free wi-fi privilege that came with the Fairmont Presidents Club membership.

The location at 9th Ave SW & 1st Street is next to the Calgary Tower, close to the Core Shopping, Stephens Avenue Mall for restaurants & pubs, the convention centre and a few blocks to the Saddle dome.

The service is very good without being too stuffy and I felt safe inside the hotel and around the general neighbourhood.

If you're looking for traditional comfort, the Palliser is a good choice, and if you want something with a far more modern style then you probably would prefer the Le Germaine across the street. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again at the Palliser, for me it usually depends which of the comparable hotels have the best rate at the time I book. This time it was the Palliser.

Room Tip: The way the hotel is shaped with three rectangular sections, rooms in the middle rectangle do not face the street or train tracks.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time to share such an extensive review of your recent stay at The Fairmont Palliser. It’s wonderful to hear you enjoyed our hotel’s décor and that your room had no traffic noise. It’s also great to hear that you’ve signed up to become a member of our loyalty program, Fairmont President’s Club, and already have experienced the benefits of joining.

We hope you catch us at a good rate upon your next request for a stay to ensure you’re our guest again soon.

We appreciate your loyalty to us!