“They might want to tell you that the hotel backs onto a train yard.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Fairmont Palliser

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Ranked #21 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
“They might want to tell you that the hotel backs onto a train yard.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

Wanted to take my wife somewhere nice seeing that since we had our baby three years ago, it was our first night away. Always known fairmonts to be nice places. The bed was horrible. All night long...the room shaking with trains....never again. Shame on you Fairmont.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rob M
TheFairmontPalliser, Public Relations Manager at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Hi Rob!

We're deeply sorry that you weren't made aware that we're a 99-year-old property which surely stared as a Canadian Pacific Railway property where unfortunately, today, does prove to be noisy depending on the train schedules. Next time, we'll do our best to have you not on track side and/or offer you a set of ear plugs to help make it a more restful stay for you.

Thank you for letting us know.

The Fairmont Palliser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

The Palliser Hotel has played such a role in the history of Calgary that to miss experiencing it is a shame. To be a guest at the hotel is something I consider to be a privilege when visiting Calgary.

For the business traveler the Palliser offers a wonderful location; handy to most major office towers and to the downtown Mall along 8 Ave SW (Stephen Avenue) from 1 St SE to 4 St SW. The network of connecting pathways through the shopping mall from this walkway will allow you to quickly get from one building to another and avoid all but the last few short blocks to the hotel. It is probably faster to walk to many meetings than to take a taxi.

For tourists you will find a number of attractions at close range (Calgary Tower is almost next door...) and if you are without a vehicle you are within one of the best public transit areas of the city.

The rooms are tastefully decorated, spacious and "classic" in that wonderful historic hotel style that I enjoy. Hotels built in a more recent time are constricted by per-square-foot cost in building and decor, resulting in smaller rooms, lots of flash and little substance. Having visited Calgary a few times in recent years, staying in other major chain hotels, I far prefer the Palliser for the reasons of location, service and quality of food. A quick meeting in my room with 16 others was comfortable....try that at many other hotels!

When I arrived my luggage had not made the flight. I informed hotel staff who kindly offered me additional toiletries, access to technology connections, helpful information on how to track my luggage and where to buy replacement clothing, store hours, as well as a promise to alert me when my luggage did arrive. Two days later when it did arrive, they were the first to alert me, even before the airline.

While this business stay did not include the chance to dine in the hotel or experience their banquet service, I observed that the lounge was playing up their historic past with a "Great Gatsby" theme evening. Having dined here before, I was sad to have missed this experience, as my memory of the food and the service was of first class presentation and quality.

For the convention or business meeting organizers I recommend the hotel facilities highly. From their opulent ballrooms and meeting rooms to the more contemporary rooms available for casual evening socials, every thing was delivered as promised. The wonderful aspect of the social rooms is that they are on a wing that does not interfere with any guest rooms, so there was no concern of disturbing other guests.

The view from many windows is often just of another wing of the hotel but if you want a view of the city you should ask for south facing rooms. Few rooms have a downtown view, which would only be of other buildings, so nothing lost there. I have yet to spend much time while in a hotel appreciating the view from my room.

Historically, the hotel was built in 1914 as part of the Canadian Pacific Railway chain of hotels and the railway still runs directly underneath the hotel, though I never heard it during my stay.

For those who demand modern interiors as an expression of luxury, this is not the hotel for you. For those who seek comfort, location and the type of service that is evaporating from our lives in most industries, you will be delighted with what the Palliser has to offer. My greatest disappointment was when I had to leave the Palliser to be thrown back into the indifference and lack lustre service we are met with in so many of our daily interactions.

Room Tip: For a view of the city ask for a south facing room, few rooms have a view of the downtown area that...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank NMH500
This is one of my favourite reviews of 2013! Thank you so much for your in-depth feedback on your stay and our hotel's offerings. We truly appreciate your loyalty to our Fairmont brand and we look forward to welcoming you back during our centennial year - we will turn 100-years-old come June 1, 2014!

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

My 12-year old daughter and I were lucky enough to take a trip on the Rocky Monutaineer in July of this year. Our trip went from Vancouver to Calgary. As Calgary had suffered from severe flooding just prior to our arrival, we were extremely fortunate to be given a free upgrade to a Junior Suite at the Fairmont Palliser for the last night of our train journey! Wow! What a hotel-absolutely beautiful historic building, opulent furnishings and right next to the train station-so very handy when arriving straight from a hard day on the RM! Our luggage was deliverd to our room, and desk staff were polite and helpful at check-in. We checked in at midnight due to delays on the train, and ordered a hot chocolate from room service as soon as we were shown our room. We quickly settled in to our new surroundings and our hot chocolate arrived. Unfortunately, we had not finished our drinks when a staff member from room serivce rang to ask for the tray, cups and teapot back as their shift was soon ending and they wanted all the crockery back. I did not pay that much for 2 hot chocolates to have to finish them so quickly, and I have never had that experience in any other hotel in which we have stayed. Anywy, apart from the hot chocolate experience, the hotel was magical-it was a shame we only got to stay there for one night...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TheFairmontPalliser, Public Relations Manager at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
We’re so happy to hear that you enjoyed your travels on the Rocky Mountaineer and your stay with us. We also apologize for the hot chocolate going ‘cold’ on you! We’d be happy to ensure your hot cocoa is on us next time you stay with us. Could you please email me, jacqueline.tyler@fairmont.com so I could note your contact and stay information? Thank you!

Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I was in Calgary for a family wedding and so it felt fitting to stay in a place with a grand and historic feel to it. The room was generally nice, a bit small and dark, but the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom updated. There were some extra requests related to the event that the staff very professionally and efficiently accommodated - exceeding expectations a number of times. Making use of the valet parking really helped keep things simple when going to/from the hotel, which was appreciated during an action-packed weekend.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello! Thank you for sharing your experience with on recent stay especially that we 'exceeded expectations' and that you enjoyed the comfort of valet service.

Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Hugely disappointing. The pluses are the beautiful, historic building and the good bedding. However, this hotel could do with a renovation and fast. We were originally booked onto the 9th floor, which hasn't seen a renovation since 1970 (approximately). I tried to settle in but finally balked when it came to hanging my clothes up on a closet rod that was completely rusted out. We were then moved to the 5th floor, which the receptionist said had been renovated 5 years ago but in a tone that indicated another renovation was called for. Her tone said it all. From the carpet stains, to the light switch near the door that didn't actually turn anything on, to the very stained bath tub that barely held my weight (and I'm not heavy), the over-riding impression was tired, tired, tired. As well, sound-proofing is indicated since some of the rooms overlook the train tracks which pass a couple of times during the night.

Room Tip: Ask for a floor that has been renovated and away from the train tracks. There is also a service tha...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
We’re so happy to hear that you found our building beautiful and enjoyed the guestroom bedding. We’re a 99-year-old property which has uniqueness in every room and corner. We apologize for the inconstancies which we’re working hard to overcome with another round of renovations in the queue for the remainder of our guestroom floors- we have a mock-up built and are just awaiting approval. If you’re able to email me, I’d be happy to note your preferred room/floor for the next time you stay with us with hopes we can secure the most perfect possibility for your stay.

Thank you for letting us know about your experience.

Port Moody, BC, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Very big suite and the room was exceptional, but the bathroom has fallen into a bit of disrepair. Staff are amazingly helpful and polite. The finish on this hotel is spectacular. The hotel location is perfect.

Now the downside - Calgary parking is exceptionally expensive. Everything is extra in the hotel. In a day of free wifi, this hotel asks 22 a night for full access. Parking is 40.

I guess if one has to ask the price, one can not afford it. I got a great deal on the room so it took the bite out of the parking bill. The hotel also allowed the poodle at no additional charge.

Room Tip: Front of the hotel will be the quietest at night.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We love dogs! Happy to hear your poodle was able to enjoy the stay with you. We too agree about the high cost of parking in downtown Calgary, but are pleased to hear you saw value all around on your stay. Thank you for your feedback.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

quite disappointing experience, or I guess we had higher expectations from a Fairmont. We went there for just an evening drink. The room was soo tired, definitely needs an update. service was quite average, it took them ages to come and take order and then even longer to bring our drinks. we were even thinking of leaving at some point. Just a small tip, don't serve nibbles from a previous serving, or day as you can the difference. Unacceptable for Fairmont

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
We regret to hear about your experience in our Oak Room lounge. I have noted your feedback and sent directly to our lounge/restaurant manager. I would appreciate hearing more about your stay and should you have the chance to return. Please email me, jacqueline.tyler@fairmont.com if you’re able. Thank you for your feedback; you’re right, this is unlike service we pride ourselves on.