“Incredible Luxury!”

The Fairmont Palliser
Ranked #23 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Fairmont Palliser while looking for a new residence prior to my move to Calgary. Somehow I was upgraded and provided a room that I'm sure was the same size as my first apartment!
The hotel was immaculate, the staff was friendly and polite. The concierge made a great recommendation for a meal that night and set up the reservation without issue. The food in the lounge as well as the restaurant was fantastic as well.
All in all, a great experience. The only disappointment is that I now live in Calgary, so my need for a hotel in the city has diminished.

Room Tip: Try to get a bit higher up if you are on the north side as you'll want to be as far from the tra...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,390)

Reviewed 23 October 2013

This was the last of the Canadian Fairmonts to "check off" my list. I always choose to stay at Fairmonts when available but will not do so on the next trip to Calgary. My room was tiny and tired looking. The wireless was not working and when I phoned the front desk for help I was connected to an automated help line which gave me two possible recorded "fixes" for my computer. My computer was working fine, the hotel's wireless wasn't. The charging plug on the desk wasn't working. When seeking directions/help from the bellmen I always felt that I was interrupting more important work. And as others have noted, poor elevator service and food service carts left for long periods in hallways.
On a positive note the beverage and food service in the bar was excellent!

Room Tip: As far as possible from the train tracks.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I have mixed feelings about my stay. First rate was the service-- the staff were wonderful, well versed in the area and eager to help. The facility itself is beautiful and I loved the historic feel of it. Contrary to what others have said, I enjoyed the classic feel and didn't feel that it had suffered, but I do like old hotels. The location is central to everything in downtown Calgary. I concur with another reviewer that if you book for two, there should be amenities for two and asking for a second robe was annoying. My main complaint was our room. I had heard that some of the rooms were small so at first expected it, but then saw that standard size room that one of my colleagues had at the same cost that actually had room for two people to walk around the bed at the same time and to open your luggage. I got a good rate through Amex, but didn't expect to have a special tiny room, but instead a good room at a special rate.
I would go back when in Calgary again, but would definitely spend some time negotiating room size.

Room Tip: I found the trains interesting and wasn't bothered by the noise, but if it's an issue, ask t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The elevators conisitently took 5-10 min to become available. There were 4 and it seemed the hotel wasn't that busy. We had a small dog which was told we couldn't have him in the lobby. The room was tiny, everything was generally outdated. The bathroom was small, and the train outside our window quickly woke us up early. We also had the smell from the deep fryer in the kitchen wafting into our room when the window was open. The internet is not complimentary, you have to pay $20 extra bucks for it. Parking is also something you have to deal with and pay for... I wouldn't recomend it for the price you can get so much more elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wiley M
TheFairmontPalliser, Public Relations Manager at The Fairmont Palliser, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Hello Wiley,

We regret to read your review on a recent stay with us. Not too sure if someone advised, but WiFi is complimentary for members of Fairmont President's Club (no fee). We hope they'll be a next time that you stay with us where we'd be happy to help set you up and also ensure your guest and doggie are taken care of as best we can.

Thank you.

Best,
Jacqueline Tyler
Communications Manager
The Fairmont Palliser

Reviewed 20 October 2013

As an older historic hotel property, I always feel there is a really delicate balance between two extremes:
- Worn-out properties that show maybe a bit too much of their history...character in spades, but not much else of positive note
- Often relatively recent, carefully renovated places that take advantage of the charm of their historic "bones" yet deliver top-flight modern luxury in historic style

The Fairmont Calgary has certainly been reasonably maintained (and should be given how the Calgary market is thriving), but quite honestly could probably use some more thorough updates to truly deliver on the potential the space has..
- Less than great start to the experience, when I was ignored while dragging a suitcase up the stairs by two bellmen - no greeting or offer to help.
- Check-in was fine and reasonably friendly
- Beautiful classical lobby space with lounge, older (yet still reasonably fast) elevators...mail chutes still on the wall
- I stayed in a Deluxe Queen room - quite large, but felt kind of empty. Why would you put a queen bed in such a large space? Furnishings in the room itself consisted of older, somewhat dinged-up classically styled desk and chair.
- Bathroom conversely was relatively small, lacking a full counter/sink space to spread out. Shower was older functional - nothing special.
- Maybe just a minor thing, but as a Fairmont lower-tier elite member (from credit card) and an elite member of several major hotel chains....I get kind of frustrated when even 1 bottle of complementary water can't be provided in a hotel room.
- And being an older hotel...a bit of a hunt for power outlets. Could be solved with more clearly accessible lamp plugs, desk plugs, etc.
- Hallways felt tired - clear evidence of dings in the wall, and somewhat of a worn feeling to them.
- Room service trays seemed to live in the hallway - no clear rush to remove them
- Reasonable location near the tower within walking distance of many Calgary attractions...

Perhaps this was a function of you get what you pay for....I'd guess the Fairmont Gold rooms have more going for them. However, otherwise it is just sad in a city that is building so many new hotels, buildings, etc that this classic structure can't be better updated to serve modern travelers.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank travelworld1170
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Yes, it is a grand hotel, gorgeous, and on the whole I received very nice service.
But.
If you have pets (I don't usually travel w/ mine, but absolutely had to in this instance) I would choose another hotel for sure. Despite saying it's pet friendly, my experience included a lot of tension.
For one thing, you cannot EVER leave the dogs unattended in the room, even if they are in their crate (When I made my reservation, the person had said they could be left unattended, as long as they were crated).
Secondly, a little detail, there was no water bowl for them. I used a drinking glass. Not necessarily something I'd expect, but at other self-advertised pet friendly hotels, that has often been provided.
Last, one evening I was in my room with the dogs, and they truly, truly did not bark much at all, but definitely did let out a couple quick, sharp barks when people walked by. I would instantly shush my dogs. Nevertheless, a neighbour complained to the front desk, who called me. I don't really blame them, I guess, but a little bit of barking (I'm not talking ongoing, relentless here!!!) just does go with having dogs in a room. There wasn't much I could do at that point other than ensure I continued to shush the dogs. I wish my room had been away from other rooms, or a bit more soundproof. I ended up having a very fitful sleep as anytime I heard a noise I'd leap up to ensure the dogs didn't let out a woof.
So. Lovely hotel, yes. Pet friendly -- I'd say, at best, pet tolerant.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank moneycoach
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Stay was for two nites - October 11 and 12, 2013. staff very pleasant and accommodating. But, when two persons are booked into a two bed room, why were there not amenities for two? Had to ask for extra towels, shampoo. The bathtub is very slippery, so not senior friendly. Food prices were exorbitant. Like $20 for one egg/room service. A fridge stacked with snacks - $4 for the smallest Pringle chips. Help yourself kids, Mom and Dad will pay! Would be nice to have a comfortable chair to relax in. My mattress was not up to par, sagging on one side. It was hard to control the room temp This hotel is beside the CP tracks and trains run most of the night.. Room 540 booked in my daughter's name and she felt I complained too much! Don't think so folks!

Room Tip: First and last time for me.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family