“it could not have been any worse” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Fairmont Palliser

The Fairmont Palliser
Ranked #21 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Alberta
“it could not have been any worse”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2009

I had been staying at the this hotel every time I was in town for business (usually every other month at least) for over 2 years. I did not stay there because I thought the services were wonderful or that the rooms were great, I stayed because the access to my place of business was great, only several blocks of walking and because the parking provided was very reasonable. I had always been disappointed in the cleanliness of the rooms and on more than several occasions had had to switch rooms because of this issue but it never really seemed to get resolved so I had decided to compromise my normal standards of cleanliness and service for the convenience of this hotels location.
I arrived for a late check-in at 11pm after a very long flight. I had a reservation that had been in place for approx 3 months. When i went to check in everything proceeded normally and soon the staff were loading up my suitcases and helping me up to my room. When we got to the room, the key would not work. I tried several times at which point in time the gent helping me said that he would radio for permission to use hte master key. He was given the go ahead and unlocked the door and ushered me in in front of him where I was suddenly confronted with a very angry, very large undressed man screaming at me to get out of his room!!! I went running out of there very quickly and of course went downstairs along with the bellhop to see why someone was in my room. Turns out they had double booked my room and had no other rooms avail but 2 rooms that were under construction on the smoking floor. I politely said no thank you as I am allergic to cigarette smoke and also wanted a clean room where I could have a hot shower. They assured me that they would find a room for me at another hotel. By this time it was midnight and I had not slept in over 20 hours. I went and sat in a chair in the lounge waiting for them to find me a hotel. Over half an hour had gone by and I hadn't seen or heard from anyone so I went to find out what was happening. Turns out they had gotten busy with other concerns which was very frustrating. I asked to speak to the manager and he assured me that he would make this his top priority and would have me a room within an hour at another hotel. Another half hour went by and still nothing, this time I was offered a newspaper to help pass the time. I reinforced that I had a reservation and I was getting frustrated because it was late and I had a 7am appt to be to. About 20 minutes later the manager sent over a desk staff member to tell me that the best they could do was a room in Okotoks. I asked where that was and they told me about 1/2 hour out of the city. I politely told them that would not work, I had no rental car yet and would need a cab. They said they would call one but would not pay for one even though this was clearly their mistake. Then they gave me even better news...the room in Okotoks was smoking as well! I finally decided that rather than sleep on the street I should just take the room they had that was under construction and try and get a few hours of sleep. I did, everything was covered in dust but by this time I was so tired it didn't even matter. When I went down the next morning I asked if my things could be transferred to another room during the day while I was at my meetings. No one knew why I would ask for something like that. They had to call the night manager at home and ask what the scenario was. When I got back that evening my things had been transferred to another room....another smoking room!!! I was told again that they didn't have anything else available despite the fact that I had a reservation and am a gold member! The next morning when I went to check out they charged me full price for both nights stay. I asked to speak with the manager regarding this and when I did she said that the most they could do for me was apologize, promise it wouldn't happen again and perhaps would I like breakfast for 50% off that morning?!!!!!!! I will never return to this hotel, it is substandard to begin with but is staffed with people with no competency or skill and no compassion at all!!!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
6 Thank mamagoldilox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
Coquitlam, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2009

Although very $$$$ decided to book at the Palliser as it was across the street from the conference I was attending and being female and alone I wanted to be in an establishment were I felt secure. The public spaces are beautiful, immaculate and in the grand style of the old CPR hotels. However the room I had was in dire need of refurbishment - furnishing, carpets, although most likely beautiful in their day were tired and ragged. Cleanliness was not up to snuff - number of dark hairs in bathroom (I'm blonde), dust on surfaces etc. Controlling the room temperature was hit & miss. On 2 occassions I ordered room service and on both occassions the food was so salty I could not eat it. My comments at checkout were completely ignored. I had expected more for a room that cost over $300 a night.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
Petersfield, Hants, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2009

Quite simply, the best hotel i have ever have the pleasure of staying at. Good location, but can be a bit noisy at night from the train station.

If you can afford a few extra quid, upgrade to Gold, it's well worth the money. Unforgettable hotel, the most pleasant, helpful staff you could wish for.

• Liked — great rooms
  • Disliked — noise from train station
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lilly1965
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2008

We stay at the Palliser every time we come to Calgary. The service is excellent. We ordered room service twice (breakfast and dinner) and it was delicious. The lobby is very nice, all done in marble, but the Christmas decorations weren't as nice as the Hotel Macdonald's in Edmonton. Upon entering our room, we had a note from the hotel manager welcoming us back and beside the note was a chocolate cowboy hat. We received turndown service, but no chocolates (standard for turndown service, especially because we were in a Junior Suite). The housekeeper also left an $8 bottle of water on the desk after turndown service. It had a note on it saying that if the seal was broken, we would be charged $8.

Now, the rooms. We stayed in a Junior Suite with two queen beds and a pullout couch with a view of the Calgary Tower on the 8th floor. The suite isn't that big (we usually stay in it anyway), but it is considerably larger than a regular room at the Palliser. The beds were comfortable, the linens were nice, and there was a fairly good sized LCD television in the room. But the carpet, the drapes, the light fixtures, and the bathrooms need to be renovated or changed. The carpet and the drapes on the windows were done in those big flower patterns popular in the 1980's. The bed linens were just white (which was fine). All of the light fixtures were brass, which is very outdated now. The bathroom was extremely small, especially for the room being a suite. There was a little bit of chipping in the tiles and soap scum building up in some areas. Also, we couldn't find the ice bucket in the room. It was shoved in the back of the dresser. The room wasn't the nicest in town, but it was livable.

The public areas in the hotel are very nice. The pool is average for an indoor pool.

We will be coming back to the Palliser again, but you need to know what to expect before you come here.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — the room furnishings
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank vegas_101Canada
Ontario's Near North, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2008

Every year in early December my company hosts a small conference in Calgary and for the last two years they have chosen the grand 'ole Fairmont Palliser. Since I didn't make the booking and it was not my dime, I will try and be as objective as possible.

Our business group was approximately 40 persons and we had also booked three small conferences rooms. My "group rate" was $189 Cdn and I received a standard room (Rm #541). It had two double-sized beds with crisp, white linen and duvet. The room smelled of smoke and more disappointing, the smell of chemical solvent to hide the smoke. The room window faced inside the courtyard and as a result, there was no view. I understand that the Palliser tries to maintain an early 20th centurey charm, but the room looked tired. The wallpaper could use updating and the white alarm clock was yellowed from either age or smoke. The TV was approx 21" and was not a flat screen. Further, the location of the TV (inside the hutch) was too far away to view it from the bed or armchair. The bathroom needed an update as well as the taps did not match the marble floors. Finally, I was very dissappointed that the Internet was not included in the price of the room (I now know that being a member of the President's Club helps in this regard).

On the plus side, the bathrobes (x2) were a nice touch. As were the high quality bath soaps, shampoos and lotions that were readily stocked each day. I stayed three nights and each morning the housekeeper knocked dutifully at 08:15 am and asked if I wanted my room made up. The check-in staff and doorman were very professional, yet not overly pushy on handling my bags (I prefer to take my own suitcase with me to my room). I had lunch in the Oak Room Bar one day and found the wait staff to be very friendly and efficient, although the prices were a little steep. When I had to hurry back to a meeting, the waiter gladly boxed up my meal so I could take it with me. Finally, because we had meetings on the final day and a late flight booked, I needed to store my bags for approximately 4 hours which was done without any trouble. When I asked if I could be let into the fitness facility (after I checked out) to change my clothes and "freshen up" before my flight home, the front desk was very accomodating.

All in all, it was a satisfying stay for a business traveller. However, had I been in Calgary for pleasure I would not have been as pleased. However, I now know about the President's Club and will be looking in to that option in the future.

• Liked — Location and elegant grandeur of an historic property
  • Disliked — Standard Room facing the inside courtyard, smell of cigarette smoke, yellowed alarm clock
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank NorthYorkian
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2008

We always stay at the Palliser when in Calgary, at least once a year.The lobby, Oak Room Bar and dining room are all really impressive. The staff are wonderful. The food is great..
The rooms.... we always use an upgrade an stay in a "junior suite". I would hate to see a standard room ! The bathrooms are tiny and the decor dated. Our 1st stay, on a Tues , at a very high rate was quite awful.We are "Platinum" the highest level of Fairmont President's Club and requested a room with bigger bathroom.We ended up in a jr suite, large bathroom but with very little heat. noisy, ineffective fans thru' dirty vents and the noise of the trains all night long.Had we realised this upon check in we would have changed rooms but not in the middle of the night!
We returned 4 nights later and, after hearing our complaints, were put into a lovely "heritage suite" and had a wonderful stay complete with complimentary wine with dinner

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — most of the rooms
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Baltzan
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2008

In a small downtown area that is Calgary, The Fairmont Palliser is the only upper class accomodation for travelers. The hotel is about 15 minutes walking distance from the Pengrowth Saddledome, the home of the NHL Calgary Flames. The room are on the small side and the delicious buffet luncheon in pricey for those on a budgets, the charm of the hotel and the friendliness of the staff sets this property apart.

• Liked — The historical style ofthe hotel
  • Disliked — pricey lunch buffet.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business