“"That is where Nana and Papa live"”

Super 8 Calgary Shawnessy Area
Ranked #73 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
GreenLeadersBronze level
C. Alberta
“"That is where Nana and Papa live"”
Reviewed 9 February 2008

After working 17 hours a day in our cafe we often take advantage of any holiday time to go to our second home.
Although family live in Calgary we choose to come to the Super 8 where we can enjoy the pool, hot tub, cozy beds but most of all it is like visiting with family.
After you return over and over to a property that is the way you feel....and therefore when my grandson goes by any Super 8 he will say that is where Nana and Papa live....or in his adorable voice "life is great at Super 8"
We understand the difficulty it can be to run any business that is customer orientated so we hope that our visit is one where we encourage the staff and the owners as well.
Years and years ago as we would travel to the USA I said "hubby can we pay the extra $10.00 to stay at the Super 8 chain as Motel 6 only has a shower.
I recently viewed a new property in Red Deer AB and I think the young man thought I was crazy when I said, "we stayed at this chain when it was $6.00.

Lori J. Johnson
Bentley, AB

...

• Liked — The staff..and the new beds
  • Disliked — Hot tub is not hot enough
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ABIceQueen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Toronto
Reviewed 23 November 2007

This was one of the lower class hotels at which I have stayed. The design of all Super 8's is prisonesque - why, I have no idea - a little colour doesn't cost anything.

I don't know why anyone would rave about the breakfast - toast, cereal, weak coffee and disgusting danishes. The front desk staff was so unfriendly (rude actually) they didn't even acknowledge my comings and goings with a nod. Also very very very far from downtown. The train is more like 4 blocks away and takes 40 minutes to get downtown.

They reviewer that described this place as middle class was off by at least one class.

There are other hotels in the area - stay at one of them.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

n ireland
Reviewed 17 August 2007

just got back from hotel and before i went i read the reviews on this motel and it put me off a bit but i stayed here for 12 nights and the motel rooms were great for the price we paid. The rooms were clean and cleaned everyday. The staff were really friendly and always greated you with a hello .The breakfast was great as they had a choice for kids as well everything was always fresh . Also the staff were very helpful when we asked for information

• Liked — near to shops and indoor pool for children
  • Disliked — nothing really
Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
Seattle
Reviewed 2 August 2006

After checking in, turned the air conditioner on to cool the room down, was a very hot day. Did not seem to be working, so maintenance was called, they looked at the unit and advised turning it off for twenty minutes to let the coil thaw. The unit was turned off for about three hours while visiting my sister, but still did not function upon my return. After many discussion with the front desk the hotel was now full and no other rooms were available. So, I spent the night not sleeping in a sweltering room (87F). I had been scheduled to stay for two more nights, but found alternate accomodations, not trusting that the hotel could get this problem fixed on a Saturday, as they had not been able to fix it on the Friday. I called the manager after arriving home, hoping for some refund of my money after having spent such an uncomfortable night. All I was offered was a future free night stay, because he couldn't find any notes of there being a problem with my room. I had two different staff members tell me they were making a note of the problem. I have paid full price for a room that was 87F, I won't ever be back to this property again.

• Liked — It was close to my destination
  • Disliked — The absence of air conditioning in my room all night long
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure air conditioner works
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled solo
1 Thank dogsrme
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Reviewed 4 June 2006

Stayed at this hotel for one night during a family trip to Calgary. I'm really not sure why the previous reviews are so negative. I'm a true believer that you "get what you pay for" and this hotel is no exception....
Certainly it is not a 5 star hotel, nor are you paying 5 star prices to stay here, but it is clean and well laid out. The room had two double beds, coffee maker, TV, air conditioning, a huge bathroom, and nice toiletries. Not sure what else you would need, and the price was good for what you got. The room price also included a Continental Breakfast, however, I did not get downstairs early enough for that. The hotel did however, advise us that by using the room card, we were able to get a discount at the Rickys Restaurant in the shopping square, which we did use.
At no time did I find the hotel staff rude or dismissive of any requests, and found them quite pleasant overall.
So, would I stay here again? Abosolutely.

• Stayed March 2006
1 Thank EdmTraveller101
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 May 2006

The manager at this substandard and unclean hotel is rude and demeaning to guests who complain. Those who do not complain enjoy filth, cannot smell, and do not mind being treated like chattle.

Stayed April 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Medicine Hat, AB
Reviewed 8 April 2006

This is the worst hotel I have ever seen. It is dark, dingy and very smelly. I was a smoker when I stayed there and the smell even bothered me! I can't imagine it now as a nonsmoker. I would not recommend this hotel and would never stay there again. It is not worth the few $$ you save.

4 Thank kiiwii