“A good Super 8 experience”

Super 8 Calgary Shawnessy Area
Ranked #72 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
GreenLeadersBronze level
“A good Super 8 experience”
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

We have stayed in many Super 8 locations across Canada and have learned that you usually get what you pay for with any hotel chain.
This Super 8 was not an exception! It is a great location and the staff friendly & very helpful. Our room was clean & bright and everything worked well. Breakfast had good selections, the beds were clean & fine and I particularly liked the pillow that I used.
Overall it was a good stay and we felt that it met Super 8 standards quite well.

• Stayed October 2013
Monica S, General Manager at Super 8 Calgary Shawnessy Area, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our Super 8 .

We are proud to be part of such a progressive and great chain such as Super 8. Each location strives to offer super breakfast items and great customer service

We look forward to serving you again and we cant wait til you stop by again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I stayed at this location for two nights, overall I was very pleased.

The room was clean and comfortable. The only downfalls were that some of my towels had stains, and that there was no access to drinking water...it is not a huge deal, but I think there should be clean drinking water available at every hotel/motel.

I enjoyed the continental breakfast. They had eggs, sausages, cereal, bagels, white/whole wheat bread, muffins, coffee, hot chocolate and juice...something for everyone.

I didn't use the pool, but from what I could see it looks great for children.

The location was great, close to bus stops and walking distance to the Bridlewood Ctrain station (behind Target).

I would come back as this was certainly a bang for my buck..I would just bring my own towels and bottled water :)

Room Tip: Second floor is probably best.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Monica S, General Manager at Super 8 Calgary Shawnessy Area, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Thank you for letting us know about your stay. We were glad to see your positive remarks but were a little concernced about the downfalls.

At the property, we pride ourselves on ensuring that all items in the room are free of stains with checking and double checking, At anytime, there is staff at the property 24 hours per day to ensure that any thing that is missed is corrected immediately upon notification of any problem.
This includes if a guest finds staining on towels, we would be more than happy to replace with a better item.

The drinking water in Calgary is safe to drink straight from any water tap in the building, In the event, guests prefer bottled water, the property shares parking space with Walmart and a major grocercy chain. It is approximately a 30 second walk to get access to bottled water.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Everything was fine as I expected. I am not sure I would call the breakfast deluxe, but it was a lot more than most continental, breakfasts. As I was visiting my son and grandkids, they dropped by and had a ball in the pool and waterslide.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Pitcairnisland
Thank you for the fantastic response, we were so glad to see that you had a super stay.

Next time in town, you should take a spin down our waterslide, It is for all guests who dare to ride it !!! It is super fun and then you can take a relaxing dip in our hot tub.

Thank you again and we are happy you stayed
Medicine Hat, Canada
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Because of a Drs. appointment, I had to stay in that part of the City and it "appeared" as if this motel was the closest. It is an older motel, nothing has been updated. Location is great with shopping and restaurants close by. Hotel amenities include pool with water slide. Made me wish I'd have brought the grandkids. Room was clean and being on the second floor we found it was mostly quiet. Breakfast was okay.Overall, it was surprising.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for stopping by, We are so proud to announce that we will begin renovations in the late fall, early winter. We are in the process of finalizing our plans to update some of our rooms with new carpets, bathroom fixtures, and furniture as needed.

Thanks again and we look forward to you seeing what we have done at our hotel.
Centurion, South Africa
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Do not try to request a late checkout! I seldom request a late checkout and in this one visit really needed to check out late. The answer to my first request was that they are very busy and cannot allow late checkout. After a second request they granted us ....10 minutes!...what a joke!!!! I used the hotel 2 times in about a month due to their central location, but after the late checkout problem, wil NEVER use them again

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Monica S, General Manager at Super 8 Calgary Shawnessy Area, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Thank you for expressing your concerns and we will be following up with the staff.

All guests are welcome to a late check out and as the same as all hotels there may be a small fee applied depending on the length of the late checkout.

We are sorry if the staff did not fully explain the different options while you were there

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels