“Pretty expensive”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Edmonton, Canada
“Pretty expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights with two dogs and the bill was nearly $400. I knew they charged for dogs but think $15 per night per dog is a bit much, I think a flat rate would be much more appropriate rather feeling like you are being taken advantage of because you had to travel with your dog. The room was clean but there were several big stains on the carpet and my room was not made up at all after my first night there, I came in to new towels sitting on the counter but that was it, the bathroom was not cleaned at all and the beds were not made. If I'm going to be charged extra fees for the environment I'd like to see a bit more effort put in to ensuring the room at least looks clean and tidy. The location was good for where I was off to during the day and there were lots of restaurants and stores nearby if you wanted to buy food or go shopping.

Green Features: Personally I don't think it's worth the extra $2 a night you have to pay to stay there on top of the already expensive room prices.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Monica S, General Manager at Super 8 Calgary Shawnessy Area, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay at our property. ON behalf of the staff, we would like to sincerely apologize for any misunderstandings during your stay.

I , myself, was unaware of any problems and am currently following up with the staff to ensure this never happens again

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Fairmont Hot Springs, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Breakfast room was very small for the size of the hotel ,breakfast was just mediocre. Room smelled when arrived, needed some good old perfex and or javex to freshen both bedding and towels, the use of a disinfectant might help with the laundry and cleaning. The room seemed to be clean but just not right !Bathroom was very small, needed to slide in between sink and toilet to close and or open the door. No handrails and or soap dish to aid in the shower. Very unsafe for seniors or anyone for that matter! Bed was good, slept all night!

Room Tip: Long halls, so ask for room close to elevator if you have trouble walking !
Green Features: . Not in favor, everything needs a good sanitizer and or disenfectant to rid places of germs ! lighting a bathroom was very low ,hard to see !
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for letting us know about your experience. Our rooms are cleaned and disinfected daily to ensure that all germs are eliminated.

Super 8 Shawnessy prides themselves on ensuring that we are competitive to the other hotels in Calgary, and in reviewing, our rates are in line with all other similar brands.

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We reversed our room 3 months ago, and everything went smoothly. Our favorite employee was Collin, at front desk. He was very accommodating and nice. He was there in the morning again when we left and we were very happy he was there. He made our stay very pleasant. Pool and hot tub were ok.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your great review, and I will certainly let Colin know about your thoughts.

We are proud of all our staff but we are most excited that you had a super stay.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

I want to get away from tv so I was ok with not having a tv that worked. I found the staff to be
very professional and polite both in the front desk and in the restaurant.

I was told I would not have a fridge but I was ok with that too. Sometimes you just need to
have a nice quiet place to sleep with a kind smile and safe, clean roof over your head.

Oh yeah, the pool was clean and fun too! There os

Room Tip: If you don't need a tv why complain? I like to read and refresh myself. The staff was very pleas...
Green Features: Good idea. Did not get a chance to do the laundry. Are those energy efficient machines? Nice to see you have vending machines with Tylenol and juice with stores a short distance away, also the banking machine close by. Good location. Little need for driving.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Tracy H
Super comments, and we were so happy that you were our guest!!!

You are so correct, it is tough to get a room during stampede. Especially one that is as reasonably priced as our location.

Our staff were so excited to see your review as it reaffirms that they did a great job during your stay.

Thank you again for stopping by and we hope to see you in the near future.
Vancouver Island, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

The majority of the employees speak poor or no English, no fitness center as advertised, a major disappointment to someone who works out daily and was one of the major reasons I chose the hotel. TV did not work. Front desk simply said I would have to wait till next day. Won't stay here again, not worth the $$

Room Tip: Pick room away from Macleod Trail, very noisy main road.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
I would to give a BIG thank you. I was unaware that Trip Advisor had on their site that we had a fitness room, we have never had a fitness room and we are still very unclear of why it was published as so here. We have had Trip advisor remove the error. Thank you for pointing out that error.

We, are however, across the street from the local YMCA gym with more equipment then I could ever hope to offer. We also are adjacent to the city's largest park with miles of areas to run, just super for the true athlete.

On site, we offer a beautiful indoor pool, hot tub and slide . Free breakfast, free wifi, free local calls,

Thank you for staying and we are looking forward to seeing you real soon