“Calgary on a Budget”

Ranked #94 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Sherwood Park, Canada
“Calgary on a Budget”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I stay at this property often as I use it and their sister property in the South West part of Calgary, as my base while I am in Calgary. Yes, this property is old (I first stayed here over thirty-five years ago) and it would be disingenuous of me to not say that there is wear and tear in some of the rooms. I have never had an issue with the cleanliness nor have I ever stayed in a room that did not have the remote control for the air conditioner. I have stayed in a lot of their rooms over the years and if I felt that the property was unclean, unhygienic or uncomfortable, I would simply move to another property however, I have never been required to do so. This is a very reasonably priced property for a city that is known for expensive rooms. In all fairness though, the age of this property reflects in my overall rating as I believe it must be taken into account.

Forgetting the age for a moment, this property is part of Calgary's well known Motel Village that has long anchored what was once the last traffic light before travellers headed out Highway 1A (today's Highway 1 also known as the Trans Canada, was not constructed at that time). Leaving your room, the intrepid wanderer will be in Canmore in an hour and Banff in a mere fifteen minutes further west. Bordering the Thriftlodge parking lot is Phil's Restaurant and a quick one minute walk brings you to Denny's, Boston Pizza and McDonalds. This Thriftlodge is close to Calgary's wonderful Children's Hospital and you are within easy walking distance of McMahon Stadium (Go Stamps GO). You are also very close to the University of Calgary (U of C), Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT) and Calgary's Light Rail Transport (LRT) system. The world renowned Calgary Zoo is a short fifteen to twenty minute drive east down 16th Avenue though, allow yourself a full day to explore. The funky Kensington district with its multitude of eclectic shops and fine restaurants, is a five minute drive south down 14th Street and is well worth exploring.

Yes, the continental breakfast nook is jammed into a corner of what is already a very small front lobby but, it is well stocked with juices, pastries, local newspapers and more hot coffee then anyone would like to drink in a morning. I have made several trips to the lobby, to fortify myself as I slug through the paperwork from the previous day. I enjoy waiting as young families mill around filling plates to overflowing as the kids wait impatiently for permission to hit the salt water pool one more time before they leave. Personally, as a professional traveller, I will always pick a property that appeals to young families. It makes me feel closer to my own family's adventures on the road when I can hear excited children racing for the pool for just one more quick dip! I recommend this property as a comfortable place to stay, when you are working with a budget yet, want to be close to the action!

Room Tip: The west facing rooms near the pool can be a little noisy in the early part of the evening but are v...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank baudley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 19 July 2013

This hotel is probably to be as expected given the name, however, I think the price is high considering the condition of the rooms. It's very old and sketchy on safety. There is no way to turn on the AC without climbing up on a chair. Most of the night I felt like I had bugs crawling on me although I never saw anything. My son did get bit on his leg. I checked in late and left early. I would not want to spend more than a night.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Lori K

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Cranbrook, Canada
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Very old and unclean property in a run down unsafe area of town. I wouldn't even taken shoes off or step into the tub. The bathroom had hair and water on the floor when I checked in. For a hundred dollars a night you are better off to spend $50 more and be safe and clean. Worst hotel I ever stepped foot in in my life. Not even soap in the room to wash hands with after going to the washroom. Gross gross gross. Avoid like the plague.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Sherri F
Edmonton
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Considering the price, this place is OK for a short stay. Our room was a fair size, everything worked and the fridge was nice to have. While they do put out a continental breakfast, you have to go to the office area to get it and carry it back to the room since there are no tables. The front desk staff didn't have the best customer service skills.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank The_Travel_G0ddess
Calgary
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Although, staying in Calgary can obviously carry a bigger price tag as its an expensive place to visit. I found the not be to my liking. The room was small, the bathroom was extremely small and the bathtub leaked. not to mention the issue with the toilet. I feel that I was somewhat overcharged. Overall it was neat and tidy. but that certainly dose not make up for the price.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Girlfriend was scared to go out to SUV to get things. Had to barricade the door to the next room to ease her mind. That's the kind of people you'd see here. Cigarette hole in the blanket. Sheets had stains on them and we felt things crawling on our selves did not see any bugs on inspection, but something might just be there.

There was holster for ac remote, did not find one in room, asked front desk about it, he said rooms didn't come with one. Hard to believe, because there's a holster beside the AC for one. Had to use chair to reach AC.

Only good thing about this place is that they are located in front of highway 1. Take the 10-15 dollar price jump and stay some place else for your comfort and safety.

Room Tip: Go some place else so this place can realize they need to renovate and not subject people to the uns...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple