“I wouldn't stay here again”

Travelodge Hotel Calgary International Airport South
Ranked #99 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 3 June 2011

The shuttle took half an hour to get to the airport, 15 minutes into the trip they turned around and went back to pick up another call, so it took over an hour from the time we called to actually get to the hotel. The room smelled like urine, the carpets were stained, not a very comfortable bed and only one pillow each. Spend an extra 30 dollars and stay at the Best Western or somewhere better.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DebStorey

Reviewed 24 May 2011

My friend and I stayed here since it was the cheapest airport hotel we got (on hotwire.com) and it was fine. We only stayed one night in order to catch a very early flight the next morning. The airport shuttle leaves from the hotel on the hour at no extra cost, but they recommend you reserve your spot. Takes about 15 minutes to arrive, driver was helpful with baggage.

The rooms are basic, but clean and comfortable; we had flatscreen TV, free wireless, comfy beds. They have an indoor pool which is quite small; two children were playing and it felt a bit crowded so I got out to give them room. There are also a weight room and restaurabt we didn't visit, so no comment there. Service was good; check in and out was fast and easy.

Overall, this place was extremely average. I have no complaints about that since I paid a good price and only needed a place to stay for a short while. There are a lot of negative reviews about this hotel, but my experience was what I expected. I think if you want a vacation feel, this hotel will not do. But if you only need a room at a good price, this is a good option.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank BanffyBanff
gmcalgary, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Calgary International Airport South, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2011

Dear Traveler,

I would like to thank you for providing us with important feedback so we can continue to improve our guest service and guest satisfaction.

Calgary Travelodge Airport
Management

Reviewed 7 May 2011

same as all the other terrible reviews, vending maching all diidn,t work , took 3 days to get a coffee pot , room a/c and heat did,t work , bed headbourd was not attacded to anything , shower head was broken , restaurant was only open from 06:30 to 10:00 then closed till 1700, and open for supper from 17:00 till 22:00 , other wise then that your were s@%h out of luck, i,m a smoker and even the smoking floor was gross, carpet was stained from one end to the other, just plain old don,t stay there,

Room Tip: take a look at the rooms before you pay
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Maynard59
Reviewed 4 May 2011

our hockey team recently was booked to stay at this hotel... beside the drunk guy being escorted to his room by 4 police(the drunk tank must have been full), they guy in the lobby with the snake, the one really slow and "new" person running the desk... hmm let me think, small (like super single not double) beds, really old and in desperate need of work bathrooms, elevator that squeaked so loud and jerked so badly we resorted to using the stairs... ok it was cheaper than other hotels. I will pay the 20 bucks more and stay in a hotel that is not on the verge of being condemned... oh and when we did try to move to a better hotel our parents were harassed and told that they would be charged for not giving 14 days cancellation notice.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank hockeym0m16
gmcalgary, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Calgary International Airport South, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2011

Hello Traveler,

First of all I thank you for your feedback.
The incident you’re referring to is related to us being proactive in safe guarding our guest security. Most of our guests are families and travelers who stay here to be close to the Airport.
In the past we rarely have to involve the police. Rest assured that our hotel is very safe.

In regards of your parent being charged for cancelling, it is a common policy in the hospitality business, especially when the rate is agreed and the hotel has been refusing business to accommodate a large group. I apologize if you felt harassed this was not our intention.

Again, I thank you for providing us a valuable feedback

Reviewed 29 April 2011

Booked through hotwire, room too small, just not comfortable....too far from the airport.....appears that a lot of smokers stay there from the odor at the front door when we arrived after an annoying $40. cab ride.....also the odor of 'curry' in the cab made me nauseous just to add to my misery.....after a long flight from Puerto Vallarta we should have known better....

Room Tip: Pay a little more.......
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ptnurse

Hello Traveler,

I am very surprise about your review, since we provide complementary transportation to/from the Airport. I also believe you have been overcharged. The ride should not cost you more than $30 dollars.

I thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 26 April 2011

I had to stay over night in Calgary and wanted a place close to the airport. The staff were very bu the hotel was terrible and over priced. Now they won't stop emailing me no matter how many times I send thema note!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gatorman2

Dear Traveler,

I apologize if we did not meet your expectation. One thing I would like to remind you is that we have the most competitive rate, in our neighbourhood, also if you like you can contact me at Whg7102f@whg.com and I will make sure that your name is removed from our correspondent list. Also most of the Marketing Emails will allow you to unsubscribe by yourself.

As I have mentioned in my previous messages, we are constantly upgrading our facility so that we can improve our guest satisfaction, lately we have installed in 50% of our rooms flat screen TVs.

Reviewed 15 April 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights while visiting family - I got a very decent price (IMO) of $82 per night. That's not bad for a hotel so close to the airport.
Staff were courteous and friendly. The room was small but clean and tidy.
2 issues: some of the power outlets weren't working. I switched on and off and on again the room light switch to no avail. Called the front desk and they advised me to try switching off and on the room light - yeah, I thought it was funny too. Anyhow, I didn't call them back because I only needed one to iron some clothes. So I unplugged a lamp and used that outlet. It might be an issue if you have a lot of gadgets but I don't so it was not really an issue at all.
The only other thing wrong was that the in-room coffee maker had holes in the filter basket and sprayed water all over the desk. Also a non-issue for me and I didn't even report it.
There's a restaurant in the hotel and I had breakfast there twice. Prices are good, service is fast and friendly, portions are unfortunately small.
It also has a pool off the reception area which doesn't seem to get used much. I brought my grandchildren over (they live in Calgary) and they enjoyed it OK. No hot tub, sauna, or anything like that - just a very basic pool but clean and lots of towels provided. There are 2 washrooms which will have to double as change rooms if you don't change in your room beforehand.
I got the impression that this hotel is used a lot by oilpatch workers on their way north. Lots of smokers at the entrance to the hotel - didn't bother me but it might be an idea to assign an area further away from the main entrance.
I was very satisfied with my stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo