“Great Staff, Ugly Hotel!”

Travelodge Hotel Calgary Macleod Trail
Ranked #97 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 12 September 2012

This hotel is not worth the value if you're looking for something nice. The rooms are old & they smell of old age. The whole hotel looks like an old mental institution with the dirty hallways & fluorescent lights. Glad I only stayed one night... The staff however are more than friendly! So that's the one bonus I guess...

I stayed with my dog & he pulled a muffin wrapper out from underneath the bed... I hadn't eaten any muffins...

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank AlwaysLyndsay

Reviewed 11 September 2012

This hotel is an embarassment and should be closed immediately. They are in dire need of a fumigator and demolition company to completely demolish the property and rebuild it from scratch.

The rooms smell like foul mold, I wouldn't even put my bag down on the disgusting discolored bed-bug filled mattress and there was an hour wait at check-in.

They even wanted to have an hour wait to get my money back (he wanted me to wait in line for everyone else to check in) even after I was commenting on the filth and bug problem that they were experiencing. I was in my room less than 5 minutes before leaving. It is true, they have no soap.

Room Tip: Go to a laundromatt and wash everything in hot water twice if you've stayed here, or you might h...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank TT_Dave
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We stayed here as part of Team Canada and were embarrassed that this is what Canada has to offer. The place was completely dirty,the lobby,the elevator,the hallways. They ran out of food in the breakfast room and one of the staff bought food with her own money to make sure we all had something to eat. Our bed was made 3 days out of 10. We tried to switch to the other Travelodge down the road but others beat us to it.

Room Tip: A friend on the fourth floor had a fridge,had an a/c that worked.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Sherry304
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We stayed in this hotel as part of a zoo package. Lobby doesn't look too bad but our room was another story. There was no screen in our fourth floor window, where we had small children staying and the 'lock' on the window was not child proof. The box springs had brown stains all over them, the ceilings had brown spots on them, the carpet in the breakfast area had more stains on it than actual carpet, they had extension cords on every socket with too many things plugged into them. Those cords were plugged into other extension cords. When I plugged my laptop in to the power bar, it sparked and a few minutes later my computer was dead and the charger was fried, as is the battery now. And at one point the hallways smelled like propane. The hotel is very outdated and seemed quite pricey compared to other ones I have stayed in with the same price range. I will definitely not be returning to this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We stopped here on our way from Winnipeg to Cloverdale, BC because we purchased a coupon from Deal Find. I was apprehensive at first because the reviews I read (after I purchased the coupons, by in large, were not positive. We did find however, the front desk personnel accommodating and friendly, the room although small and appeared clean and had all the ammeneties - refridgerator, coffee maker, etc., double beds were comfortable and the air conditioner worked fine. There was an excellent Vietnamese restaurant next door and the morning continental breakfast was better than average. The carpets, however, have to go--they make the hallways and room "feel" unclean and you don't want to take your shoes off. I would recommend it for a short stay and if you have business in the arae, otherwise for travellers going east or west it is too far off the # 1 highway and for the posted prices--too expensive.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank scotstraveler3518
Reviewed 27 August 2012

First of all they put us in a double bed room when we booked for a queen size room. The lampshade was broken off and dangling of the 'skeleton' for the shade.

On our first morning in the room (first time bathroom was used) we saw blood spatter on the wall, going from about my elbow all the way to the ceiling. I took pictures and show the employee at the desk who suggested that it's paint but gave me a new room when I asked. Room 226 if you insist on staying there

Room Tip: None. They were both horrible and we ended up checking our early because our room with the blood on...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mike L
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Our rooms were well laid out and clean. Pool is shallow but still good for a dip, hot tub was hot. There are a few fast food and dine in restaurants in the area and not far from chinook centre (big mall). Only complaint was there was no soap. No soap, go figure. So I guess take your own soap. Continental breakfast was good. Would go back.

• Stayed: August 2012