“You get what you pay for”

Travelodge Hotel Calgary Macleod Trail
Ranked #96 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Edmonton, Canada
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

The good; This was the least expensive hotel in Calgary during Stampede by far. And, despite my initial concerns, I was able to sleep through the night and wasn't woken up by unruly patrons running the hall in their underpants with bottles of rum in their hands.
The bad: Its very run down, the furniture is old, the cleanliness is questionable
The ugly: When I checked into my room, I couldn't get the door to open. Then I realized that the door frame was lose and popped out (did i say this hotel needs to be fixed up?). Probably because of this, when I got back to my room in the evening, the door wasn't even closed properly by the cleaning staff (luckily I had no valuable in the room). My coffee pot was not cleaned, and the coffee was not replaced.

Bottom line: If you are young and going out for a cheap night and don't have any expectations, i guess this hotel may fit your needs I would not recommend this place for a family or people that are looking for certain amenities.

Travelodge needs to look at their rules for keeping a hotel up to date and clean.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Stringfellow2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Courtenay, Canada
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We arrived in Calgary late at night during the week. Everything else booked . Unfortunately we ended up here. We were way overcharged for two rooms. These rooms were filthy. The beds were awful. I was really surprised that they were just double size beds. They were so uncomfortable. My pillow was rock hard and wasn't even shaped like a normal pillow. It was more triangle shaped. Sheets had cigarette burn holes. Bathtub was disgusting, drip marks down the scum where someone had poured cleaner but not bothered to actually scrub the tub. Crumbs behind the microwave and garbage behind the dresser. I spilled cough medicine on the carpet..went to bathroom to get a cloth to wipe it up but when I came back I couldn't tell which stain the cough medicine had made on the carpet. The air conditioner didn't fit properly in the hole in the wall so we could see outside the hotel from our window AND the space between the air conditioner and the wall. View of parking lot, two dumpsters and a liquor store from our window. Left my flip flops on the whole time in the room...even wore them to shower. Such a disgusting place. Not only would I not recommend this place to anyone but I will specifically warn them to stay away from this place.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank ErinCourt

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 28 June 2013

This place is old, run down and stinks of mold, stale cigarettes and BO. The breakfast is a joke. The only thing this place has going for it is the staff were friendly and it's cheap. But you get what you pay for.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank BrWayne
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We stayed here on a very busy evening in Calgary - the Oil Show as on as well as Spruce Meadows and we were lucky to get a room.

The hotel is old and worn. We stayed on the first floor.

It could use a good cleaning and replacement of the torn box spring. The carpet and floor underneath were not flat. Carpet not that clean, especially under the bed.

People were smoking in the hallway and the smoke was coming under the crack in the door to our room - ick. The door was also thin and so we heard people talking and walking down the hallway.

The toilet was strange, it slowly filled and was a low noise then about halfway it sped up and made a lot more noise and filled quickly.

Furniture was worn, though the bed was comfortable and the sheets pleasantly soft.

This not a place I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jacalope
Vancouver
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I found the facilities adequately priced, however the hot tub was unavailable andi looked forward to using the faculties. Another concern was the plumbing in the room; flushing took a long time, there was no hot water for handwashing or showering...alerted the front desk as to issues, told someone would be coming to service it, check out time came and went at which time another call was placed...ultimately no one showed up, missed 'free' breakfast , went to front desk to check out , dissapointed with the service and lack of offer to rectify. Should I choose to share this experience with others they would not stay at your facilities.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

1 Thank Paula G
Reviewed 4 May 2013

All around terrible. No sound proofing, very dirty, outdated.
Free breakfast? Ya sure there was literally only 4 pieces of bread. Seen a manager and asked if there wasn't supposed to be some food here, she roller her eyes and replied that someone might be grabbing some.
Seriously don't stay here, stay in your car if you have to it would be a more pleasurable stay.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Brayken
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Booked online sight unseen, that was my first mistake. What I thought was a two bed room wasn't, apparently. The woman at the front desk helpfully suggested that "some sites list us as having two bed rooms but we don't".

Not a big deal despite there being two people who expected two beds. Extra pillows and blankets? They said they didn't have any. Yes, that's right, a hotel literally didn't have any spare bedding.

Exposed wiring and sockets. I was zapped by the socket, and surprisingly I was also zapped quite badly by the elevator button on the 5th floor. Sheets were a mess. Mattress was uncomfortable. Wall socket that wasn't fully exposed had 5 things plugged into it already.

This place is terrible at being a hotel and the fact that it is continually like this after countless complaints can only lead me to assume that travelodge wants to bilk people out of money. I cannot in good conscience recommend travelodge to anyone, and I will be considering a chargeback.

• Stayed April 2013