“What the Funk?”

Ranked #97 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
“What the Funk?”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Is it worth saving a buck to stay at a place which looks like what I imagine a methadone clinic looks like? The continental breakfast had a real group of beauties in there. I've never grabbed a muffin and ran out quicker in my life. Though it is a step up from the last place I stayed at, in which the toilet was not bolted to the ground, this place needs much work. I had no complaints during the period in which I slept beyond having to use the TV manually as the batteries were dead and likely swapped by the last person whom stayed here. I woke up this morning to the sound of someone dry heaving and blowing their nose for 10 minutes. The walls are so thin, I thought the guy was in my washroom. Needless to say, I won't be coming back.

Room Tip: Not recommended at all.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Pretty dirty and some rooms are mouldy. Was given Internet wifi password at check-in. Went to room and tried to log in. Signal was so bad I had to go to reception and even there it didn't work. When I asked, they said yes it doesn't work and we have tried but can't fix it (begging the question why give me a password at all?). No apology, didnt care at all. They only have it so they can advertise free wifi when people are booking and want wifi but it does not work so avoid this place.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Maurice N

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I am not one to criticize reasonably priced lodging but this is one night I would like to forget. Finding a hotel in Calgary on short notice can be challenging thus on this particular evening I was compelled to book at this establishment. I was intimidated upon check in due to the suspect individuals hanging around the entrance. I was relieved to get to my room until I opened the door. Why? First of all there were two beds with stained sheets, numerous lights did not work, the air conditioner was also not functioning, there was a terrible smell in the room, I could go on and on! This is one night I do not want to remember!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jete T
Vancouver
Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very dirty except in the reception area (of course). It is desperately in need of a major renovation and, unless they deal with the undesirables that seem to hang out in the parking lot and outside the Comedy Club, even that may not be enough. My wife and I felt uncomfortable going in and out at night, especially when we found blood on the stairs to the parking area.
The air conditioning made lots of noise but we still don't know if it worked at all or the nights were cold!
The staff seemed pleasant enough but the hotel is beyond hope. How Travelodge could condone such a place tells me lots about their value system. We will not stay here again and very much question Travelodge as a principled company based on this evidence.

• Stayed September 2013
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 14 September 2013

The worst ever. I am not picky. I can sleep anywhere. But this is my worst experience. I arrived in the parking lot and was greeted by sketchy characters. I booked online and paid in advance and I mentioned that I was coming in late. I tried to book in at 10pm, but was told that the hotel was overbooked. I told them that had already paid but this did not seem to matter. I became a little belligerent as I has just spent 4 hours in a car....the last 45 minutes stuck on the Deerfoot. So they gave a round in the basement of the smoking floor. What? It was too late to find another room. So I had to stay, there was some jerk smoking and walking down the hallway of the basement only wearing his pants. So I stay in the room. I was coffing and sneezing from the smoke exposure all the next da. This I have learnt. Always check the Reviews. Never stay at a Travelodge. The worst ever

Room Tip: I wish I checked the reviews
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Calvin M
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I met four other people at Calgary for a couple of days at Spruce Meadows. On Thursday afternoon I checked into my room and immediately noticed that the toilet was running non-stop, there was no fridge or hair conditioner. Shampoo and lotion were supplied. I asked cleaning staff whether conditioner was supplied and "no" was the answer. I inquired at the front desk about getting a fridge. "No problem" was the response. I never did get one. After a full Friday at Spruce Meadows, I returned to my room to find that all the housekeeping staff had done was picked up my towels, plastic glasses, and a cardboard coffee cup which I'd used on Thursday evening/Friday morning. Oh yes, the garbage disappeared. Nothing was replaced and the bathroom wasn't attended to evidenced by the coffee splatters in the sink from when I emptied the coffee pot on Friday morning. The bath mat had been tossed into the bathtub. Soap & shampoo hadn't been replaced. I went to the front desk at 11 p.m. to get towels, glasses, a package of coffee etc. The front desk staff were quite friendly and helpful and promised to alert housekeeping about my complaints, but I know that I will NEVER book a room at this hotel again. What a disappointment. On the bright side, Spruce Meadows was great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the far end of the hall. There will be less noise from doors slamming (and they d...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a complete dive, something you would find on a skid row. This place is beyond a refurbishment; it needs to be completely gutted or demolished. I have travelled all over the world and stayed in many developing countries--the fact this Travelodge exists in Canada creates a complete disconnect for me.

The night we arrived we were welcomed by two brawling female guests at the entrance who eventually ended up covered in blood and throwing beer bottles. While still unloading our bags the police arrived not to assist these two undesirable women, but to approach another hotel guest who had been causing problems. While we were finishing up unloading our car after check-in, one of the staff got to work sweeping up all the broken glass outside the front door. None of the night staff seemed alarmed by the activities swirling around the lobby and front desk--another typical Sunday night? This was all in the first 10 minutes of our stay.

Once we arrived in our room, we immediately knew we were sleeping in our clothes and not using the bathroom to do anything but brush our teeth. I had chosen this hotel as they were pet-friendly; I feared for what my two cats might pick up in the room the night we stayed. The carpet was disgusting, and you would never consider having bare feet. The bathroom was run down, and there had been no attempt to wipe down the mildew on the walls. There were extension cords supplying the room electronics, and many sockets I tried did not power up my electronics.

I think the most horrifying thing about the whole place was the elevators--it was obvious they had not been wiped down in some time, and the liquids on the elevator floor had us guessing what they might be--urine? Spit? Beer? Other? Considering the state of many the guests we passed in the lobby and hallways, the elevator's fluid samples could have been anything.

We didn't even consider eating the included breakfast or use the swimming pool. The lack of cleanliness in the room and public areas made us question any of the other amenities they might offer. We had booked for 4 nights--we couldn't check out fast enough after the one night we stayed. And we only stayed that first night as it was 10:30pm when we first arrived and too late to find something else.

As we were leaving, we provided rescue services to one of the housekeeping staff who had pinned her arm under a dresser and was physically trapped--she was using her one good arm to dial her cellphone and calling for help to anyone that passed in the hallway. Thankfully we were able to assist her, but the bizarreness of the situation was not lost on us...

The Front Desk staff and Day Manager were polite and efficient, and given their losing battle of customer relations and quality standards they face daily, I have to give them props for staying civil to their guests. I know I would be looking for a gas can and a match.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends