“Horrible hotel”

Travelodge Hotel Calgary Macleod Trail
Ranked #97 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My husband, brother and I stayed here for a few days in the summer. When we checked in we noticed our room was fairly old, and there was a distinct smell of urine in the washroom, but the beds seemed clean and we were tired so we went to bed fairly quickly. However the second night our air conditioner broke and we had to be moved to another room as no one was available to fix it just then. That night we ended up finding bed bugs in our room. Needless to stay we will NEVER stay here again. And we would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 29 January 2014

room is too hot in the mornings when the sun hits the window really bad... the air-conditioning doesn't work and it's a lil dirty, there are cheaper hotels with much better facilities in Calgary like the super 8... the internet connection is really bad too!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
CalgaryManagement, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Calgary Macleod Trail, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Hello Traveler,

We truly and sincerely apologize for the problems you had with the air-conditioning not working properly in your rom. In this case, we clearly dropped the ball. We take great pride in the accommodation and services we provide and work hard to ensure everything in the room is good working order. Reading that we did not provide an outstanding experience for you is very upsetting to us. I am sorry that you had issues with the internet connection in the hotel. We have been experiencing some teething problems since we had some more software installed but these issues are now being resolved.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. It is valuable to us and we appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience in order to help us improve.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Stayed here for one night and it was horrible. The rooms were dirty and the bedding was stained.
Sound travelled from the hallways and rooms around, so you could hear everything going on around you...

The hotel smells musty and old and the beds are uncomfortable.
Overall a very uncomfortable experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Greetings Traveler,

I am deeply disappointed that I am writing this to you today, knowing we failed to offer the product and service you should expect.

First, let us express our deepest apologies. We know the experience must have been very unpleasant for you. Second, the problem you mentioned regarding the stained bedding has been brought to the attention of the executive housekeeper who is investigating this. Please accept out belated apologies for the noise you experience during your stay. We would have been pleased to have relocated you to another area of the hotel.

We do hope we will be given the opportunity to serve you once again and to show you we can do better. We also hope your confidence in the Travelodge Macleod Trail will be restored.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

We recently stayed here for one night. We paid $122.08 (tax included) for a room with 1 queen size bed. The whole hotel is dated and pretty gross. We were on the 3rd floor and had to sleep with the fan on as the doors do slam shut and voices carry from the hallway. I can only compare it to a movie where you see some skeezy cracked out hotel. It was pretty gross and I'd rather sleep in my car than spend money to sleep there again.

The service was good though.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank TMH T
CalgaryManagement, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Calgary Macleod Trail, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all it could have been.

Through each comment we receive both positive and negative, we are able to seek knowledge and growth to better serve our business and leisure travelers. I sincerely apologize for the noise issue encountered during your stay. You comfort and safety is my number one concern so I appreciate you bringing this to my attention and your review will assist in correcting issues in the future. This issue is not unique to our property alone. Many hotels encounter the same challenges with soundproofing, especially during the later evening hours.Our upcoming renovation and refreshing of the hotel will address all of your concerns and we hope you will return to experience our new look.

We once again sincerely apologize for the problems you experience at our hotel. We continue to work hard to ensure that all our guests enjoys their experience at the Travelodge.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

The online special is a TRAP!! They will send you to the 3rd floor. room 308; the unsecured (no lock) window that can be climbed into via the roof of the bar below the window. the closet was unusable because the mirror doors falling into the closet. I asked for another room. No help from staff... I got room 418; this room was disgusting!! The filth, ( I have photos) the grime not cleaned in years!! The bathroom was pure filth, mould painted over, a thick grime behind the door. Long black hair in our bed, blonde hair in the shower. I don't scare easy... this room gave me nightmares. I wish I knew the depth of this problem... I'm looking at reviews and I'm wondering how they might still be open or that some authority has allowed me to rent a room in hotel. In Calgary Alta Canada.... I'm glad my health was not affected.

Room Tip: Do not sleep (if you can sleep) on the north side of the 3rd floor. the roof to the bar is just unde...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
CalgaryManagement, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Calgary Macleod Trail, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Hello Traveler

Firstly, let me sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences you faced during your stay with us. It was truly disheartening for me to learn that although you brought forth your complaints to the Front Desk that they still fell short of your expectations.

While we are extremely disappointed that despite the good location, our property was not a good match for you. We have gone in and diligently re-inspected both rooms that you occupied and have now made the necessary changes to bring them back up to standards, so I’m hopeful that your concerns will surely be a thing of the past.

I would like to thank you for your feedback, as it is feedback such as yours that prevent this from becoming a reoccurring issue.

Safe travels.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I have NEVER been in such a DISGUSTING & FILTHY hotel in my life, and I travel a lot!
The sheets and bed spread were stained.
The sheets are covered with long dark hair.
The towels in the bathroom are stained.
The air conditioner has dark something running down the walls.
The lights in the room were not plugged in, so I needed to pull the tables away so that I could plug in the lights, the garbage and dirt behind the tables was disgusting, not cleaned in years.
There is dark stuff running down ALL the walls in the room.
I phoned front desk for a wake up call, nobody picking up the phone.
I went down to the front desk, the girl is somewhere in the back, the phone is ringing and she is not picking it up.
I did not get a wake up call.
A few doors down from mine have what looks like a drink splashed on the doors, has been there for a while.
I was on the 5th floor, in the morning the elevator was not working. (Dangerous????)

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I made the reservation through priceline as we often use the Travelodge on Macleod Trail for business and I heard lots of great things about it from my co-workers. Unfortunately they were talking about the Travelodge down the street closer to Chinook Mall near Glenmore Trail, which is a great spot. This hotel however is a dump, I have never stayed in such a dirty filthy run down place ever. Worst of all I couldn't get out of it as I booked it through priceline.

The Check in took a half hour or more, always a line at the front desk.

I used to be in the Hotel Business and I get the owners business model. Buy a hotel for cheap run it into the ground and make as much money as can because the market will keep my occupancy up, never spend a nickel and after its about to fall apart sell it to the highest better and run with the money.

Do yourself a favour and find another place to stay, unless you wanna sleep in a hazmat suit and shower with your shoes on.

Room Tip: Keep looking, even its a good deal.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business