“Good: basic breakfast, staff in breakfast...”

Travelodge Hotel Calgary Macleod Trail
Ranked #97 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
“Good: basic breakfast, staff in breakfast...”
Reviewed 22 July 2010

Good: basic breakfast, staff in breakfast room very nice, observant and helpful. Asked for main floor and got it and appears main floor is non smoking, a plus. Also our room didn't have a fridge and microwave but after asking there was one brought in by the time we returned in the evening
Horrible: beds as hard as the floor; room too small for my mom to manouver around in her wheelchair; impossible for her to get into bathroom with wheelchair; no handicapped room at all in this facility; carpets in hallway filthy and stained; sheets were either threadbare or oily stained - the lighting in the room was so dark it was hard to tell. The bathroom had obviously been painted but they didn't bother to tape or remove items so paint splatter everywhere; water damage in bathroom ceiling; lever to make shower work the knob was missing so really had to struggle to get the shower to flow. The top ledge of the tub surround had not been cleaned in a while and was filthy.

All in all not a great experience at this facility. The only reason we stayed both nights is that we were unable to find something else in the area with a handicapped room or we would have left after the first night.

1 Thank 3gmom
CalgaryManagement, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Calgary Macleod Trail, responded to this review, 27 July 2010
Thank you for your comments, both the good and the bad. I will be sure to let the breakfast room staff see your comments about her service. It is great to be recognized in that way.
Our rooms can be on the small side for manouvering a wheel chair, which is why we choose not to convert any to be handicap accessible. We will look into your other concerns with the room and have maintenance repair any short-comings. If you do find something less than you expected, please let us know while you are on property so we can correct it for you. Thank you again for your comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Grand Falls Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2010

Found this hotel through priceline.com. After getting an ok price on the hotel, I phoned this hotel and let them know that I would need a spaceous room (two double beds), a playpen and a fridge in our room as we have a small child. I was told "No problem". I phoned again the night before we were due to arrive to confirm things and, again, was told that we would have what we needed.

Upon arriving in our tiny room, we found a single bed, no fridge and no playpen. The person working at the front desk said he didn't even know if they had playpens to begin with!! I mentioned that I had called ahead to confirm these things and that we simply could not stay in the hotel if we didn't have a playpen for our child. They said they would try and find one.

Our room was the worst i've ever been in. The entire hotel smelled like dirty feet, as did our room. The word "outdated" is an understatement. There was a material chair in our room from the 60's and it was honestly greasy! The floor (carpet) was almost damp, there were stains on every single lamp shade, a good layer of dust on the furnature and when I tried to pick up the phone...it was stuck to the desk (not by an adhesive either).

I phoned the front desk and informed them that the room was beyond unacceptable. The man told me nothing could be done (as it was the Calgary Stampede weekend) and they would deliver a fridge and playpen to my room. The thing is...the room was so small that there was nowhere to put those things. There was hardly room for our 2 pieces of luggage. So I asked to speak to the manager and, again, was told that nothing could be done. I did not want to keep my child in an unsanitary room, so I tried phoning priceline directly. I spoke with someone, told them the condition of the room and that the staff was offering no help whatsoever. I added that if THIS was the type of hotel that priceline promoted...that I would not be using priceline again in the future. The representative said he would speak with the manager and try to get me a refund.

That representative was on hold for 15 minutes!!! He came back at regular intervals, finally saying he was surprised at the lack of reliable service. Finally, after almost 20 minutes on hold, someone came to our room saying that a double room was available. The new room didn't smell AS bad as the first one, but it did smell damp.

The Travelodge Macleod boasts a free continental breakfast from 7-10am (9am on weekdays). What the advertisement SHOULD say is "Free breakfast from 7am until the food runs out or 10am...whichever comes first". On our first morning at the hotel, we went down around 9am (on a weekend) for breakfast. There were a few measly end pieces of bread, one cup of yogurt and the remains of a container of cereal. My husband asked if breakfast was already over and the woman working in the breakfast room said that once the food is gone, they do not restock. I had a problem with this of course. If someone shows up for breakfast at 9:55am, they should get the same spread as the people who arrive at 7am. I asked if some sort of reinbursement would be offered for people who went to breakfast at the designated time but after the food was gone and was told no.

The swimming pool was super (over) chlorinated (i'm a lifeguard, I can tell) and the hot tub was too hot to enjoy. The rules on the side of the hot tub say not to use the tub at a certain temperature...however there was no thermomater available for anyone to check! Before going to the pool area, I asked the front desk if there were showers and a change room near the pool and was told yes. After arriving at the small pool, we found no showers. At our second visit to the pool, there were no towels available. When my husband went to the front desk to request 3 towels, he was given 1. When he repeated that he needed 3 towels, the clerk rolled his eyes and two more towels were shoved at my husband.

On our second day at the hotel, our air conditioner stopped working. I figured it was a blown fuse. We phoned the front desk and they said that someone would be right up. After waiting 10 minutes, nobody came. I phoned once again and added that we were waiting to go to the Stampede. The front desk staff said that we could go about our day and that someone would come and fix the A/C and turn it on so our room would be cool when we returned. After returning that evening, sure enough...nobody had come to fix the A/C. I phoned the front desk and asked why nothing had been done. They said no note had been left and sent someone up right away. He confirmed that it was indeed a fuse problem and fixed it within seconds. However, by that time our room was too warm to sleep and it was a very uncomfortable night. The windows only open around 4 inches so that didn't help much.

While our beds were made each day, I don't think any dusting nor vaccuming was done. I know this because I had dropped a chip near my bed on the first night. At the time of check out, the chip was still there (and it probably still is!). The same layer of thick dust was on our furnature from the time of check in to the time of check out. As for noise, the hotel is located across from a popular bar. The loud music and hollering didn't stop until around 1:30am each morning. As well, there is a comedy club located in the hotel and visitors to the club take away from parking near the hotel. Finally, the free wi-fi was SO slow that I could not even log on to check my email.

I do NOT recommend this hotel to anyone, especially anyone with children. This was my family's first visit to Calgary and I can honestly say that this experience at the hotel put a huge damper (and stress) on our trip. I understand that it was the Calgary Stampede weekend and they were busy, but that it absolutely NO excuse for poor service, unsanitary conditions and pure neglect. Needless to say, we will never be returning.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank The_Travelling_Mommy
Thank you for your comments. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations on this visit. Unfortunately once extras start to get added into a room, like the playpens and fridges, they can feel small.
We strive to make all our guests feel comfortable, but when this doesn't happen, we do appreciate the feedback. It is used by Management during training sessions and staff meetings as a training tool to ensure we continue to improve.
Thank you again for your comments.

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Jasper, Canada
Reviewed 12 July 2010

I recently staid at this travelodge with my boyfriend and sister to attend the Calgary Stampede. I booked this hotel through the hotwire.com site to get the best. Despite reserving a room for three people, and three of us standing at the desk with our luggage they checked us in to a room with only one queen bed. I went down to the front desk where the agent tried to get into an argument with me saying she confirmed one queen bed with me. Obviously she didn't, as there were three of us and one bed wasn't going to do the job! She told me that hotwire.com only sends them through a reservation for one room or two rooms, not the number of people the reservation is for. I find this extremely strange as the number of beds required for a reservation is pretty important information. If that's how their system works, it's not good enough, and the hotel should be confirming the number of guests prior to arrival. Next the front desk agent offered to change us to a room with two beds which I thought was fantastic. However, she then informed me that they were booked out for the weekend and no other room was available, so I really don't know why she offered in the first place. I then suggested we put a roll-a-way bed in our room, she said that could be done at a charge of $10 per night. I found it extremely disappointing that after I made a reservation for three people I was having to pay extra for a roll-a-way bed, when she was going t give me a room with two beds for no extra charge had on been available. In the end I had to agree to this charge because we had no other option. When I returned to the room a member of the housekeeping staff brought an infants cot to our room. We then had to call the front desk and ask them for the roll-a-way bed rather than a baby cot. When the roll-a-way bed arrived I asked the staff member if he could bring us an extra towel as there was only two in the room. The towel never showed up during our 2-night stay.
Overall, my check-in experience at this hotel was extremely frustrating and I would urge anyone booking this hotel to confirm their reservation directly with the hotel to avoid the disappointment that we did.
Would I recommend this hotel to a friend? No. The customer service offered by the front desk staff was not up to standard and was definitely a dampener on my evening. Having disappointed guests did not seem to be of any concern to them.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank LL1985
CalgaryManagement, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel Calgary Macleod Trail, responded to this review, 13 July 2010
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear that you were unable to get the preferred room type. When reserving a room with an on-line site, have a look at the room type you are reserving. Rates vary with the room type selected and the number of people entered. The room type they register as being purchased is was is put through to the hotel. It is done automatically through the internet systems. The Calgary Stampede is one of the busiest times for Calgary and the hotels, so room type changes may not be possible, based on availability. I would recommend calling the hotel directly if you need to try to make changes to the room that was purchased as we will be able to tell you right away if the new request is available. Thank you again for your comments.
Leduc, Canada
Reviewed 25 April 2010

I'm a 27yr old girl, and I stayed at this hotel from April 13 - 23, 2010 for business. I have to admit when I first walked in I was a little concerned as the hotel is a bit dated. The front desk staff always greets you when you walk in and were wonderful at check in/out. I went and enjoyed the continental breakfast every morning before work: 3 kinds of cereal, white & whole wheat toast, bagels, yogurt, apples, bananas, orange juice, coffee, milk, apple juice, more than enough choices for me. The 2 girls who take care of the breakfast room are very pleasant and always said hello and remembered you. The pool is small and a little shallow, but clean. The gym had an eliptical, bike & treadmill and nobody seems to use it very often, I never ran into anyone in there in the whole 10 days. The rooms are alright, a little small, nothing fancy, but you're getting a pretty good price on this hotel for it's great location. I had a coffee maker, fridge, microwave in the room. The bed seemed to be pretty old but was comfortable nontheless. The TV took a few seconds to warm up before it would work correctly, which was a little strange. I usually left my maid a couple bucks a day, and she cleaned my room everyday, folded my towels into fans. The shower had good water pressure and was very clean. The windows only open a couple of inches, but that's okay. The free Wi-Fi in the room was very handy. There is a place called the Comedy Cave attached to the hotel, saw 3 shows there and will definitely go back, the staff are very nice there as well and the food is pretty good too. I ordered a ceasar salad one night (huge) and the baked lasagna the other night, very tasty and brought half of it home. There is a Walmart, Safeway, McDonalds, A&W, 7-11, greek, chinese & vietnamese restaurant withing walking distance. The hotel is right across from the Ranchmen bar, definitely check that out!! All of the staff are great at this hotel, everyone is always smiling and willing to help you out. I will be going back to Calgary next week and will very likely book this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank THartt
CalgaryManagement, Management at Travelodge Hotel Calgary Macleod Trail, responded to this review, 27 April 2010
Thank you for your comments on our Hotel. We love to get feed-back so we can ensure we are on the right path to exceeding our customers needs.

There is so much to see and do in this area of Calgary with many entertainment and dining options within walking distance, as you mentioned.

Thank you for your continued support of our Travelodge. We look forward to welcoming you back again. Travel safe.
edmonton, alberta
Reviewed 29 March 2010

Stayed for a weekend and was glad that was all it was. Our non smoking room smelled of smoke as did the whole floor. The windows of the room were so filthy you could hardly see a thing from them. The bed linens were questionable. Our room wasn't made up at all even though we were gone the whole day long from early morning till late evening. On a positive note the bathroom was clean although there was a leak from around the toilet so we had to keep the bath mat on the floor to soak up the extra water. I slept quite well as did my husband even though there was a bird that seemed to be living on our outside air conditioner and it made a lot of noise. The continental breakfast was supposedly not great although I didn't try it. Considering our friend and my son paid less at the Delta and the Hyatt the same weekend we were not very impressed. Would not stay there again even though the location was great. We did have two great meals; one at Tommy Burger and one at Chiantis's. Loved both of them.

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank chattykathy2
CalgaryManagement, Management at Travelodge Hotel Calgary Macleod Trail, responded to this review, 31 March 2010
Thank you for your comments. We always appreciate hearing both the negative and positive feedback so we can continue to grow and meet the needs of all our guests.

I am sorry to hear about the short-comings with your housekeeping service. I can assure that has been taken care of.

Sorry you missed having the breakfast. We have been receiving great comments about it since it's opening the end of January. A real positve move our guests have greatly enjoyed.

We do hope to see you with us again on your next visit to Calgary.

Respectfully,
Management
Abbotsford
Reviewed 6 February 2010

My young daughter and I stayed in a double room that was clean and convenient. I loved that I could put her to bed and still be able to stay up in the next room with the door open in between us. The location of the hotel was great as well, easy to find. The staff were very accomodating and pleasant. It was a pleasant and affordable experience.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank mandysmom_8
CalgaryManagement, Management at Travelodge Hotel Calgary Macleod Trail, responded to this review, 9 February 2010
Thank you for your comments. We always appreciate hearing from our guests. I will be sure to pass your comments along to the staff. It is always nice to hear the positive things the staff do to make your stay even more enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Calgary.
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed 29 January 2010

The experience checking into this hotel was beyond terrible. We were told by the front desk staff that we did not have a reservation at the hotel and that our reservation must have been for another Travelodge in Calgary. We provided them with a confirmation number about 5 times that we had printed off online and they said we did not have a reservation. They told us WE needed to call the other hotels to find where our reservation was for. After doing this the staff at another Travellodge told us our reservation was at the hotel we were staying at..... after arguing and providing the same info over numerous times they finally checked us in. If it wasn't Grey Cup weekend we definitely would have just gone somewhere else. It's frustrating just thinking about it again.

The beds were too short - mind you I am 6'6
Only positive was that the room seemed clean

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank talltraveller90
CalgaryManagement, Management at Travelodge Hotel Calgary Macleod Trail, responded to this review, 4 February 2010
Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear of the problems at check in and appreciate you bringing them forward. We will be sure to include this in our next front desk staff meeting/training session. Thank you for the positive comments on housekeeping. We take pride in the cleanliness of our rooms here. I may also mention that since your stay, we have added a continental breakfast that is available to all guests, 7 days a week. Thank you again for your comments.