“Not Bad, a littly pricey for the Quality.”

Travelodge Calgary South
Ranked #89 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Nanaimo, Canada
“Not Bad, a littly pricey for the Quality.”
Reviewed 23 January 2012

This Old Travelodge is a decent place. I beleive that is is a bit on the pricey side for the quality, Although it is on the more economical price scale, For $10 more, you can easily find a far nicer hotel room in town. I have stayed here twice, mainly because of its great location, and that it still has smoking permitted rooms. The rooms are not the cleanest(but not horrible), and a bit on the worn down side, which is why I think it is a bit too much for them to charge $95+tax for a room, when nicer hotel rooms can be had for a few dollars more, however I had no problems, Staff are pleasant and it is convenient. I would stay again, but would like to see the prices dropped a few dollars.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank M C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
North Sydney, Canada
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel for the Calgary Folk Festival, I was greeted in a warm manner by the front desk agent and GM.

The GM, Monica was nothing short of marvellous, she was attending the same festival, gave me plenty of good tips which enhanced my 2 day stay at this hotel.

I was pleased with the room, the room had more amenities than I expected such as a small fridge and microwave.

The coffee in the room was great and the bathroom toiletries were a nice touch, I especially liked the make-up remover, it's a personal preference.

I worked in a hotel, so I noticed a few things such as how the towels & bed were presented, very nicely done.

The only problem I've noticed was the toilet needed to be cleaned more thoroughly as it was evident it's not being properly scrubbed in a long time.

Also, the breakfast was sufficient, It's in a small room, my second breakfast was ruined by a nagging mother of three, it was almost painful to listen to her whine as I was trying to enjoy some peace, it was evident to other guests as well, none of the hotel's problem.

I would recommend this to other travellers as it's close to Chinook Centre and other restaurant and other amenities too.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank pastelpinkgirly
TravelLadyGTA, General Manager at Travelodge Calgary South, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Thank you for the wonderful comments and suggestions. , Wanted to write a quick note, that we missed you this year at the Folk fest

We look forward to seeing you again.
Salisbury, N.B
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Choose location to be near mall during last two days of my 8 day journey. MISTAKE. Booked on line at $78 per night - good sale, main floor since no elevator, non smoking.
If I had vehicle would have left upon arrival --and no refund available. As I walked down hall to room it was evident there were smoking rooms all around mine and hall reeked of smoke. Continental breakfast acceptable in tiny room. The rubber door sealer of fridge was the most filthy item I have ever seen. Windows filthy and covered in bird poop. Staff non caring and when I spoke to someone about the smoke smell in room coming around door to hall (opening at bottom) and that clothes I had put in closet reeked of smoke ---only response - open outside door to air out room. I had kept the outside door to parking lot open and chained during entire stay except when sleeping.
Bad experience.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank shirl19
TravelLadyGTA, General Manager at Travelodge Calgary South, responded to this review, 21 June 2011
Hello Guest

Thank you for positng your response regarding your past stay. We appreciate all positive and negative comments, We welcome responses so that we may improve the property, it is unfortunate that as the manager, that you did not take the opportunity to discuss your concerns while staying at the property.

At our location, we still have rooms that are both smoking and non smoking. We do not allow smoking in the hallways.and personally I have never smelled smoke travelling through the hallways from one room to another., under the sealed doorway.

However, the unfortunate part of being on the main level, is that all the rooms have an outside door and large window to the parking lot. I have found that if individuals are smoking outside in the parking lot or if there any outside smells such as the restaurants next door cooking, the rooms are subject to taking in those smells very quickly. I certainly will take your comments back to my staff and encourage the staff to move guests away from the main level in a effort to try to eliminate the outside smells from affecting future guests

Thank you again and I look foward to hearing from you in the near future.

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2011

The fire alarm went off on both nights during my stay. The staff told me this happens in the winter when freezing air gets into the hotel. They didn't think it could be fixed and apparently most guests just accept it. If you stay here in the winter don't be surprized if the fire alarm goes off in the middle of the night for a couple of minutes before it gets silenced. Not a good idea if you're expecting a good night's sleep.
They do have a good continental breakfast and the hotel is clean. If what the staff told me about the fire alarm is true, it shouldn't be a problem in the summer.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank nystay
TravelLadyGTA, General Manager at Travelodge Calgary South, responded to this review, 24 May 2011
Thank you for responding both about the postive and negative aspects of your stay. You are right, we have had issues in the past with our fire alarm system, and it only happens in extreme -35 temps . We have had our professionals in and they have fixed the problem with the highly sensitive alarms

Thank you for the positive comments regarding the cleaniness of the property, We pride our selves in keeping the location very clean

We look forward to seeing you again, summer and winter
Cranbrook, Canada
Reviewed 1 May 2010

we have stayed at the hotel two times at weekly stays and i can tell you the staff are great and they go out of their way to make sure you are happy while you are staying there.we were their on medical reasons but i will stay there anytime they are great people .

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sharosexx
Thank you for your positive remarks, it is nice that someone takes the time to say nice things about our staff

Hope to see you again
british columbia
Reviewed 18 June 2007

This hotel is a dive!! There were three of us in our party. One of our group arrived there first and they wouldn't let her check in because the room wasn't reserved in her name. When we got checked in , we discovered the room was not very clean. Only one lamp would work, the TV didn't work and there was hair in the bath tub. Calgary was booked up solid so we had no time to find another room anywhere. We were rushing to get ready for a graduation so we put up with it but never again will I stay there!! To top it off they wanted to charge us $170+ for one night but we complained about the cleanliness and they took $20 off the total. Big Deal!! We still ended up paying $50 each! Do not stay here! I think it's the worst hotel room I've ever seen

• Liked — Location to oue event
  • Disliked — Cleanliness and price
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank travelbug086
Calgary, AB
Reviewed 6 December 2005

In all my life I have never had such a horrible experience with a hotel as I did at the Travelodge. I've stayed here once before and had a wonderful time. I'm not sure if management has changed or what's going on but this place has really gone down hill. We have two dogs who were on this trip aswell and we were given probably the most rundown room in the builing. The door had to be slammed just to close it, the carpets were dingy, and the bathroom was far from clean. The check-in process was as slow as it could possibly be and I should have known with her seemingly lack of experience that we would run into trouble afterwards. The next day during the check-out process we had a run-in with the manager who was yelling and screaming and acting very unprofessional. Warning: DONT PAY CASH!!! You'll have to pay a deposit (which is expected), but don't expect them to give it back or if they do decide to give it back, not give it all back. The manager will end up phoning her employee, who will lie about how much money you gave her and the manager will say to you "who do you think i'm going to believe? You? Or an employee who I trust and has worked for me for 8 years." Needless to say she chose the side of her employee and we only received part of our deposit back (eventhough the room looked exactly the same as it had when we arrived.) After this experience I will never stay at a Travelodge again.

• Stayed November 2005