“Great staff, paper thin walls.”

Days Inn - Calgary South
Ranked #86 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Lethbridge, Canada
“Great staff, paper thin walls.”
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I hate writing this complaint because the staff at the front desk of this hotel were fabulous and very friendly. However, I do feel compelled to tell future guests that the walls seemed VERY very thin. We had overheard our neighbors talking about the "after party" they were planning to hold after a concert that night and asked front desk right then what we should do if they were noisy. He said that if we called down, he would personally make sure that they either were quiet or were made to leave the hotel.

2 o'clock am rolls around and we are all finally frustrated enough with the noise that we call down to front desk.I got a different staff person but he said he would deal with it. Since the walls are paper thin, I could hear the phone ring in the room next to us and the guests answered and said they'd be quiet.

Well they weren't. It was at least an hour later till we fell asleep. I don't know if it was completely the guests fault. They didn't seem to be yelling or even talking TOO loud, yet I could hear EVERY word they said very clearly. The walls seemed very thin.

I didn't complain the next morning because, like I said, the front desk staff were so pleasant and I knew it wasn't there fault.

The room was fine but I won't stay again due to the noise. Great location though, especially for concert goers at Stampede.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Megan H
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Dear Guest

Our very sincere apology for your last trip being a bit noisy, our staff does its best to control loud parties at the property after hours, however, it is sometimes not within our control to pacify noisy neighbours.

I am not trying to excuse the fault, but would be very happy if you will stay with us on your next trip to Calgary, we will try and make sure your next stay with us is more to your liking.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Calgary
Reviewed 28 April 2012

The staff was very friendly and helpful, and although it's not a new hotel, it's been nicely redone. Our room was comfortable and clean. Unfortunately, the pool wasn't open due to a sick guest - no fault of the hotel, but it looked really nice.
Close to shopping and restaurants. The complimentary breakfast was what you'd expect and again, the service was excellent.
I would stay again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank tkpruden
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your comments, the entire staff at the Days Inn Calgary South take a lot of pride in our property.
I will pass on your comments to all staff members atthe property and we do look forward to your next stay with us.

Regards
Osman
Vernon BC
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Left my camera on the bed in the hotel. Called 15m in later and was told that the camera was not found. I felt that was not right and emailed the hotel. Right away Samson Anifowose launched an investigation as this is not acceptable at the hotel. The camera was found located in the safe. Thank you Samson for your deligence in searching for my camera. Thought that the honesty in hotels was lost and that no one put in an effort. Samson changed my mind and increased my trust.

Room Tip: I gave a lower rate on cleanliness because while the rooms where clean the areas around the outside...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank VernonBCPat
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments, we at the Days Inn Calgary South take pride in serving our guests, your review on the honesty & integrity of our staff will be passed on to all concerned. Valuables found at the hotel are promptly tagged and put in the hotel safe for safekeeping until claimed by the guest.
I am glad that we have been able to re-affirm your faith in the honesty of our staff.
fernwood22
Reviewed 25 April 2012

First stay here was trying as we were placed on the 2nd floor at the back of the building and had to make 5 trips to the room to get our infant baby's things: playpen, cooler, bags etc. and of course there is no elevator so up and down the stairs over and over. When it was bedtime we discovered there was a. Nightclub right below our window. Boom Boom Boom Boom went the music till 2:30 am. After that came the crowd outside of our window till 3:00 am and filled the room with cigarette smoke from the open window. After a few calls the next week back and forth I finally got 2 night credit good for 1 year. Which brings me to today's trip. The free room was booked with a king bed but we had to take 2 queens instead. One of the beds has a big dip from a very large person or something; you roll in the hole when you sleep. The room has a kitchette and is spacious and clean, but to bath with warm water you have use the hottub as there is only a little warm water. We were told it could be due to recent upgrading in the place or to many people using water at the same time. The day manager did come find me and I asked him to buy us supper and it sounds like pizza will be on him. There is a holiday inn on the next block I would look at first.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank darrenws32
Dear Guest
Your pervious stay with us resulted in major complaints forcing our hotel to give you a free stay for your present trip, which has now also resulted in baseless complaints. The truth according to our records is as under
This morning we were informed by our guest service agent that the guest (you) said there was no hot water in his room and hence he had to use the hot tub to shower. On getting down to the hot tub we empathized with the guest and told him we would find out what is going on with his room. Before saying anything else the guest demanded another free night stay (is there a pattern here) at which we told the guest that’s was not possible., At this point he asked if we would buy him a Pizza instead, this was agreed. We also offered to move him to another room. However, when the maintenance staff checked the hot water issue the hot water was enough to scald the staff members hand, Mrs. Darren was in the room and a witness to this and in fact mentioned that the room was excellent. When Mr. Darren finished his hot tubing he came to the front desk to find the GM present there, who assured him that there is no hot water problem with his room, however, should he like to move rooms that could be arranged. At this point the guest asked the GM for his credit card so he could go to a near-by restaurant (Smugglers) to have dinner. The GM had to regret, however, re-extended the pizza offer again which was accepted by the guest. Pizza & pop were ordered for the guest.”
Sir, we always strive to do our best for all our guests and take care of all genuine complaints, making sure their stay with us is exceptional. In this case the hotel staff, including the GM have gone above and beyond the call of duty to satisfy your demands however un-reasonable they may have been.
Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We never received the room we reserved on-line but were satisfied with what we got. However the desk clerk said he could not give us a discount even though we didn't get the room we expected. Because we were already getting a lower price. But the down-graded room (the same type of room we were stuck in) was available at a lower price when we booked.
Also we were going to have quick showers after travelling to freshen up before going out for the evening. That was cut short due to the fact there was no hot water. We were not offered a discount on our current reservation for this mishap either. He said he would give us a $10 discount on a future stay. I told him we would not ever be back to stay there again!!
They are also pretty cheap on towels. 1 each. Some ladies have long hair and require 2.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank blonduh
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Dear Guest;

We at the Days Inn Calgary South do apologize for your stay with us not being able to meet your expectations. All our efforts are directed to making our guests comfortable and I will make sure that your comments and suggestions are addressed and corrected by the appropriate hotel department.
Please call us directly for your next bookings to insure the room booked is the room assigned.
Do note however, that we are an environmentally responsible property and towels and toiletry supplies are stock in guests rooms as per requirements. Additional towels and toiletries are available at the front desk and can be requested by all guests.
Thanking you

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We had a good experience. The front desk clerks were polite and helpful. We didn't have hot water one morning so the clerk was willing to move us into another room but we just showered in a room that people had already checked out. The breakfast was great other than having warm milk. I suggest that you have a fridge nearby so the milk stays cold.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank oddy65
Dear Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to review on our property. we are constantly trying to improve our facility and services and your input is valued. I do apologize for the hot water being in short supply during your visit, this problem has been investigated and resolved. We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the near future.
Laval, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Samson Anifowose
This message is to congratulate you on the great work that Bobbie is doing in your establishment.
I didn't think that I would be returning to your establishment anymore for the same reasons that we read on Tripadvisor but Bobbie assured me that she would do what it takes to make my stay a pleasant and fruitful one.
To my big surprise she did and I was very impressed with her professionalism and help during my business trip in Calgary.
So it is thanks to her that I am back at your establishment and will be back next season.
There are still several improvements to be made that you are fully aware of but by having staff as Bobbie this could only improve the service you give to your customers.
Nice to see the improvements keep up with the good work.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank manuel h
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your comments. I will surely pass all all your comments to Bobbie, she along with all the other staff at the Days Inn will always do our best to make our guest feel on top of the world.