“Happily Suprised!”

Ranked #89 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Brampton, Canada
“Happily Suprised!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

When I was booked at the Days Inn I didn't expect much. When I arrived at the grim exterior and rough location I was even less impressed. Everything went uphill from there.

Check in was fast, efficient, no fuss. Took me 5 minutes max. Joseph at the reception counter was smiling, courtious and very helpful with maps and advice. Looking around I immediately noticed that the reception areas were not just clean but gleeming clean. Polished floors, not a magazine out of place, nothing.

My room was spotlessly clean, bathrooms very clean and new. Beds crisp and neet. When I shut the door I could hear the thud of a well sound proofed room. It was quiet and I slept well. Whom ever does the maintenance deserves a raise.

Next morning I went down for the "Continental Breakfast" expecting a stale danish and watery coffee. Nope! They had everything, cerial, yougert, fruit, hot waffles, excellent coffee. All overseen by Janet who ensured their was enough for everyone, happy to help, get you butter, anything. WOW! She made sure every table was spotless, for the next guest, with a paper.

Then I had a problem getting my computer's wi-fi to match up to the hotel's. I called the front desk and they sent up a tech support person, Sylvia, within 5 minutes. She whipped my computer in shape in under 10 minutes. Again with a smile and courtesy.

I didn't get to use the pool or hot tub but I went down just to see if it was as clean as the rest of the hotel. It was.

While waiting for my ride to the airport, I noticed that any garbage left by guests in the waiting area, disappeared withing 1/2 hour. I was so impressed with the staff.

The only fly-in-the ointment was the $6.10 charge for making a toll free call from my room. Mickey Mouse gouging!

But asside from that, I was happily suprised by the service, staff, and cleanliness. Management and staff take a bow. You were impressive.

Room Tip: 4th floor was good and quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank iantc
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear Guest

Thankyou very much for your review of our hotel, I have passed on your comments all staff and it has brought on a renewed vigor to do better with all of us.

We take pride in our property and are happy to see it appreciated.

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

Why "Ugliest"? Dirt, dust, noise, 8 lanes of traffic noise and diesel exhaust swirl 2 metres from grim old hotel, from 6 a.m. to midnight This old soldier has been updated a little, but the new tiles are poorly caulked in the refurbed bathroom, hot water is not very, sheets are tissue thin after a zillion washes, walls are Japanese paper-house thin, free breakfast makes you miss McDee's, room fridges tick loudly, and most rooms have coffee maker and fridge -- but the only microwave is in the breakfast room, where a strange toaster warms but never browns, and the available eggs are all hardboiled.
Yogurt is good, staff has memorized all rules and repeats them with no inflection. Should be a bargain? Nope, just average. The filthy outside doorstep kept me from the restaurant. Heaven this ain't. Pets allowed, wifi worked...mostly, hot tub was large. But 900 metres away were scores of the fanciest homes in Calgary, centre city was a few hectic minutes away, as were SW suburbs. If location matters, and fancy means less than a breakfast pancake you cook yourself, this might do.

Room Tip: Ask for 4th floor a tad quieter, one tad, than 1st 2.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank bobsolomon
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear Guest

Your review of our hotel is very valuable, all points have been noted and we will strive to resolve all issues that are within our powers.

Almost all are rooms have been completely renovated, (Please call me directly for your next booking, I will make sure your assigned room is personally checked)

The hot water issue has been looked into and resolved.

Regards

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012 via mobile

My husband and I often have to come into Calgary for a few days to run errands for our business. We usually stay in a cheap motel (that smells, and has a lumpy carpet) that allows pets, but this time left our dog at home and decided to upgrade a little bit.

For $40 more- what a difference! We stopped in to just check out the price, since we're always on a budget, and from the moment we walked in there was nothing but friendliness, and the price was right!

The hallway to our room smelled SO good, such a clean comfortable smell. Our room was clean, had a fridge, and the sheets were crisp, clean, and also smelled great!

The breakfast that was included the next morning was great! I'm used to the continental breakfast being some cereal and a muffin from Costco. This was far from that! Waffles, hardboiled eggs, juice, bagels with cream cheese...it was great! I like too that there was an attendant there to keep the place tidy, and to help us figure out the waffle machine!

To top it all off, as we were driving through the parking lot to leave, we saw a couple with their dog leaving. Turns out for $10 more, we can bring our pooch next time, great news!

I told my husband that from now on, if the $40 more to stay here vs. the cheap motel where we usually stay isn't in our budget- we're not staying, I'd rather do the 4 hour drive home.

Stayed May 2012
1 Thank KGolan
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for the great review about our hotel, we are delighted to see this and will continue to work as hard as possible to make sure that all are guests are satisfied with their stay.
We look forward to your stay with us again & again and I will be sure to share your compliments with all our staff.

Osman
Lethbridge, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

I hate writing this complaint because the staff at the front desk of this hotel were fabulous and very friendly. However, I do feel compelled to tell future guests that the walls seemed VERY very thin. We had overheard our neighbors talking about the "after party" they were planning to hold after a concert that night and asked front desk right then what we should do if they were noisy. He said that if we called down, he would personally make sure that they either were quiet or were made to leave the hotel.

2 o'clock am rolls around and we are all finally frustrated enough with the noise that we call down to front desk.I got a different staff person but he said he would deal with it. Since the walls are paper thin, I could hear the phone ring in the room next to us and the guests answered and said they'd be quiet.

Well they weren't. It was at least an hour later till we fell asleep. I don't know if it was completely the guests fault. They didn't seem to be yelling or even talking TOO loud, yet I could hear EVERY word they said very clearly. The walls seemed very thin.

I didn't complain the next morning because, like I said, the front desk staff were so pleasant and I knew it wasn't there fault.

The room was fine but I won't stay again due to the noise. Great location though, especially for concert goers at Stampede.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Megan H
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Dear Guest

Our very sincere apology for your last trip being a bit noisy, our staff does its best to control loud parties at the property after hours, however, it is sometimes not within our control to pacify noisy neighbours.

I am not trying to excuse the fault, but would be very happy if you will stay with us on your next trip to Calgary, we will try and make sure your next stay with us is more to your liking.

Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

The staff was very friendly and helpful, and although it's not a new hotel, it's been nicely redone. Our room was comfortable and clean. Unfortunately, the pool wasn't open due to a sick guest - no fault of the hotel, but it looked really nice.
Close to shopping and restaurants. The complimentary breakfast was what you'd expect and again, the service was excellent.
I would stay again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank tkpruden
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your comments, the entire staff at the Days Inn Calgary South take a lot of pride in our property.
I will pass on your comments to all staff members atthe property and we do look forward to your next stay with us.

Osman
Vernon BC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

Left my camera on the bed in the hotel. Called 15m in later and was told that the camera was not found. I felt that was not right and emailed the hotel. Right away Samson Anifowose launched an investigation as this is not acceptable at the hotel. The camera was found located in the safe. Thank you Samson for your deligence in searching for my camera. Thought that the honesty in hotels was lost and that no one put in an effort. Samson changed my mind and increased my trust.

Room Tip: I gave a lower rate on cleanliness because while the rooms where clean the areas around the outside...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank VernonBCPat
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments, we at the Days Inn Calgary South take pride in serving our guests, your review on the honesty & integrity of our staff will be passed on to all concerned. Valuables found at the hotel are promptly tagged and put in the hotel safe for safekeeping until claimed by the guest.
I am glad that we have been able to re-affirm your faith in the honesty of our staff.
fernwood22
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

First stay here was trying as we were placed on the 2nd floor at the back of the building and had to make 5 trips to the room to get our infant baby's things: playpen, cooler, bags etc. and of course there is no elevator so up and down the stairs over and over. When it was bedtime we discovered there was a. Nightclub right below our window. Boom Boom Boom Boom went the music till 2:30 am. After that came the crowd outside of our window till 3:00 am and filled the room with cigarette smoke from the open window. After a few calls the next week back and forth I finally got 2 night credit good for 1 year. Which brings me to today's trip. The free room was booked with a king bed but we had to take 2 queens instead. One of the beds has a big dip from a very large person or something; you roll in the hole when you sleep. The room has a kitchette and is spacious and clean, but to bath with warm water you have use the hottub as there is only a little warm water. We were told it could be due to recent upgrading in the place or to many people using water at the same time. The day manager did come find me and I asked him to buy us supper and it sounds like pizza will be on him. There is a holiday inn on the next block I would look at first.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank darrenws32
Dear Guest
Your pervious stay with us resulted in major complaints forcing our hotel to give you a free stay for your present trip, which has now also resulted in baseless complaints. The truth according to our records is as under
This morning we were informed by our guest service agent that the guest (you) said there was no hot water in his room and hence he had to use the hot tub to shower. On getting down to the hot tub we empathized with the guest and told him we would find out what is going on with his room. Before saying anything else the guest demanded another free night stay (is there a pattern here) at which we told the guest that’s was not possible., At this point he asked if we would buy him a Pizza instead, this was agreed. We also offered to move him to another room. However, when the maintenance staff checked the hot water issue the hot water was enough to scald the staff members hand, Mrs. Darren was in the room and a witness to this and in fact mentioned that the room was excellent. When Mr. Darren finished his hot tubing he came to the front desk to find the GM present there, who assured him that there is no hot water problem with his room, however, should he like to move rooms that could be arranged. At this point the guest asked the GM for his credit card so he could go to a near-by restaurant (Smugglers) to have dinner. The GM had to regret, however, re-extended the pizza offer again which was accepted by the guest. Pizza & pop were ordered for the guest.”
Sir, we always strive to do our best for all our guests and take care of all genuine complaints, making sure their stay with us is exceptional. In this case the hotel staff, including the GM have gone above and beyond the call of duty to satisfy your demands however un-reasonable they may have been.