“clean room and very affordable”

Days Inn - Calgary South
Ranked #87 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Every time I'm in Calgary I always stayed in this hotel due to the location is great, very close to downtown and shopping area. The staffs are friendly and accommodating. Clean rooms and affordable.

Room Tip: Chose the 4th floor area which is renovated.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank 250jen
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking time out to review our hotel, we pride ourselves in our customer service and your comments makes all our efforts worthwhile.

To add a little to your review, all our rooms have now been renovated the last few being finished last month.

Guests will now find a fresh new look to our entire hotel.

There are newer reviews for Days Inn - Calgary South

Reviewed 31 May 2012

At first glance the location is not great but it is only 200yds to the C Train at 39th Street and you can walk into the centre of Calgary in 40 mins. Whilst traffic noise could be a problem at the front and the level crossing bells of the C train can be heard at the back, everything else if good. The rooms are well appointed with comfortable beds and the complimentary breakfast is good. The staff are all very helpful and the hotel amenities such as swimming pool and gym are a bonus. Proper coffee machines are in the bedrooms and coffee is available all day in reception. So unless you are an extremely light sleeper I would thoroughly recommend Days Inn Calgary South

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are the quietest
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Derek34-1
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review on our hotel property, it is heart warming to know that all the hard work put in by our staff is appreciated.

We continue to work on our property and staff and strive to make the Days Inn Calgary South more than your home away from home.

Osman

Reviewed 30 May 2012

I used hotwire to book a hotel and this place was my chosen destination. The rooms were clean, the staff was pleasant, and it was a place to stay. The room was very small, the beds were double beds or it was the smallest queen I ever slept in. In the morning, there was no hot water for showers either. The hotwire price for this place was $115/night which was a deal for what I found on other sites and for hotels in this area. The hotel is in a noisy area as well so if you are a light sleeper, I would suggest somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank novaalces

Dear Guest

Your review of our property is greatly appreciated, our staff strive on an on going bases to be the best.

We are located in the hub of activity, and close to downtown, we do appologize, it may get a bit loud at times due to lively Calgary. Do give me a call next time you plan to come to Calgary and I will try and make sure we allocate a room for you on the quiet side of the hotel

The hot water issue has been looked at and proper measures have been taken to improve the hotel water re-circulation issue. We trust it has been resolved.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

When I was booked at the Days Inn I didn't expect much. When I arrived at the grim exterior and rough location I was even less impressed. Everything went uphill from there.

Check in was fast, efficient, no fuss. Took me 5 minutes max. Joseph at the reception counter was smiling, courtious and very helpful with maps and advice. Looking around I immediately noticed that the reception areas were not just clean but gleeming clean. Polished floors, not a magazine out of place, nothing.

My room was spotlessly clean, bathrooms very clean and new. Beds crisp and neet. When I shut the door I could hear the thud of a well sound proofed room. It was quiet and I slept well. Whom ever does the maintenance deserves a raise.

Next morning I went down for the "Continental Breakfast" expecting a stale danish and watery coffee. Nope! They had everything, cerial, yougert, fruit, hot waffles, excellent coffee. All overseen by Janet who ensured their was enough for everyone, happy to help, get you butter, anything. WOW! She made sure every table was spotless, for the next guest, with a paper.

Then I had a problem getting my computer's wi-fi to match up to the hotel's. I called the front desk and they sent up a tech support person, Sylvia, within 5 minutes. She whipped my computer in shape in under 10 minutes. Again with a smile and courtesy.

I didn't get to use the pool or hot tub but I went down just to see if it was as clean as the rest of the hotel. It was.

While waiting for my ride to the airport, I noticed that any garbage left by guests in the waiting area, disappeared withing 1/2 hour. I was so impressed with the staff.

The only fly-in-the ointment was the $6.10 charge for making a toll free call from my room. Mickey Mouse gouging!

But asside from that, I was happily suprised by the service, staff, and cleanliness. Management and staff take a bow. You were impressive.

Room Tip: 4th floor was good and quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank iantc
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

Dear Guest

Thankyou very much for your review of our hotel, I have passed on your comments all staff and it has brought on a renewed vigor to do better with all of us.

We take pride in our property and are happy to see it appreciated.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

Why "Ugliest"? Dirt, dust, noise, 8 lanes of traffic noise and diesel exhaust swirl 2 metres from grim old hotel, from 6 a.m. to midnight This old soldier has been updated a little, but the new tiles are poorly caulked in the refurbed bathroom, hot water is not very, sheets are tissue thin after a zillion washes, walls are Japanese paper-house thin, free breakfast makes you miss McDee's, room fridges tick loudly, and most rooms have coffee maker and fridge -- but the only microwave is in the breakfast room, where a strange toaster warms but never browns, and the available eggs are all hardboiled.
Yogurt is good, staff has memorized all rules and repeats them with no inflection. Should be a bargain? Nope, just average. The filthy outside doorstep kept me from the restaurant. Heaven this ain't. Pets allowed, wifi worked...mostly, hot tub was large. But 900 metres away were scores of the fanciest homes in Calgary, centre city was a few hectic minutes away, as were SW suburbs. If location matters, and fancy means less than a breakfast pancake you cook yourself, this might do.

Room Tip: Ask for 4th floor a tad quieter, one tad, than 1st 2.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank bobsolomon
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Dear Guest

Your review of our hotel is very valuable, all points have been noted and we will strive to resolve all issues that are within our powers.

Almost all are rooms have been completely renovated, (Please call me directly for your next booking, I will make sure your assigned room is personally checked)

The hot water issue has been looked into and resolved.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

My husband and I often have to come into Calgary for a few days to run errands for our business. We usually stay in a cheap motel (that smells, and has a lumpy carpet) that allows pets, but this time left our dog at home and decided to upgrade a little bit.

For $40 more- what a difference! We stopped in to just check out the price, since we're always on a budget, and from the moment we walked in there was nothing but friendliness, and the price was right!

The hallway to our room smelled SO good, such a clean comfortable smell. Our room was clean, had a fridge, and the sheets were crisp, clean, and also smelled great!

The breakfast that was included the next morning was great! I'm used to the continental breakfast being some cereal and a muffin from Costco. This was far from that! Waffles, hardboiled eggs, juice, bagels with cream cheese...it was great! I like too that there was an attendant there to keep the place tidy, and to help us figure out the waffle machine!

To top it all off, as we were driving through the parking lot to leave, we saw a couple with their dog leaving. Turns out for $10 more, we can bring our pooch next time, great news!

I told my husband that from now on, if the $40 more to stay here vs. the cheap motel where we usually stay isn't in our budget- we're not staying, I'd rather do the 4 hour drive home.

Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank KGolan
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for the great review about our hotel, we are delighted to see this and will continue to work as hard as possible to make sure that all are guests are satisfied with their stay.
We look forward to your stay with us again & again and I will be sure to share your compliments with all our staff.

Osman

Reviewed 2 May 2012

I hate writing this complaint because the staff at the front desk of this hotel were fabulous and very friendly. However, I do feel compelled to tell future guests that the walls seemed VERY very thin. We had overheard our neighbors talking about the "after party" they were planning to hold after a concert that night and asked front desk right then what we should do if they were noisy. He said that if we called down, he would personally make sure that they either were quiet or were made to leave the hotel.

2 o'clock am rolls around and we are all finally frustrated enough with the noise that we call down to front desk.I got a different staff person but he said he would deal with it. Since the walls are paper thin, I could hear the phone ring in the room next to us and the guests answered and said they'd be quiet.

Well they weren't. It was at least an hour later till we fell asleep. I don't know if it was completely the guests fault. They didn't seem to be yelling or even talking TOO loud, yet I could hear EVERY word they said very clearly. The walls seemed very thin.

I didn't complain the next morning because, like I said, the front desk staff were so pleasant and I knew it wasn't there fault.

The room was fine but I won't stay again due to the noise. Great location though, especially for concert goers at Stampede.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Megan H
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Dear Guest

Our very sincere apology for your last trip being a bit noisy, our staff does its best to control loud parties at the property after hours, however, it is sometimes not within our control to pacify noisy neighbours.

I am not trying to excuse the fault, but would be very happy if you will stay with us on your next trip to Calgary, we will try and make sure your next stay with us is more to your liking.