“Great Stampede Hotel!”

Ranked #86 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Toronto, Canada
“Great Stampede Hotel!”
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Stayed at the Days Inn Calgary South during Stampede week this year. When we checked in, we were helped by an extremely nice gentlemen named Baba. He was really helpful and kind, Kudos to you Baba!

One thing to know, do not go to the restaurant that is attached to the hotel. They are not owned by the hotel, so its no shame to them, however it was terrible! No air conditioning (or fans!!) so it was sweltering and terrible service. The servers are irritable and grumpy. It was their "wing night" and they even got the wings wrong, c'mon guys!

Room Tip: Ask for an newly renovated room.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kelly M
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking time out of your busy schedule to review our hotel property. Yes, Baba is a great asset to our property and a very nice person, I will pass on your comments to him.

We are also in the final stages of completing our in-house restaurant, planned opening is early September 2012, this should resolve your second concern as well.

Osman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Reviewed 13 July 2012

I recently checked in to this hotel to attend a business function in the area. It wasn't my first choice, but due to Stampede Price Gouging at other hotels, it had to do.

Upon arriving at the hotel, the clerk was more interested in getting his name tag straight than assisting me. After the process was done, I dropped my items off in my room and left for a few hours. When I arrived back, I placed my suitcase at the end of the bed and to my utter disgust found a used, open bottle of lubricant.

I called the front desk, and the same clerk came to my room. He said he had a hard time believing that "I just found" the bottle, because I had been checked for 7 hours. He said he would talk to the HouseKeeping supervisor, and left it at that.

What a joke. I will not be back.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Basque17
Dear Guest

I do appologize for the negetive experience you had at your recent stay at our hotel, do understand it was a very busy 2 weeks of Stampede for all hotel properties in Calgary and once in a while things do slip through the cracks.

I have mentioned your concern to both the Front Office Manager and the Housekeeping Manager, who have assured me that this matter will be addressed to the concerned staff mambers.

Bad service is not something we are proud of, we will strive to better ourselves

regards
osman

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I am perfectly aware of how it rolls during Stampede week in Calgary. You are lucky to get a room at all. So we were not thrilled with the 250.00 a night we spent but were happy to have a room at a clean hotel near the grounds. That said we are a family of 4 who were put in what seemed to be a single room with an extra bed shoved in. It was up a bunch of stairs with no elevator. It was part of the hotel that time forgot . Was not thrilled in being told that we had to pay when we checked in because it was Stampede have NEVER had to do this anywhere else.
We have stayed here for concerts in the past and never had a bad experience till now.
The Front Desk clerk that was helping a foreign couple when we checked in knew NOTHING. She was useless ,couldn't answer any of their questions about the transit or Stampede , I a visitor was able to answer all their questions. We will not be staying again. The guys working nights were very helpful when we needed assistance . The sheets and towels (of which there was only 3) were VERY VERY old and rough. In general we were glad that we were in the room for a small period of time.
The breakfast was ok but not worth the price we paid.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a room that starts with #1 like 123 for instance
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ClydeandJack
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
Dear Guest

All hotel rooms are designed and sized to accommodate the furniture set for the room and there is no question of “shoving” an extra bed into a rooms.

We do ask our guests checking in over stampede week to pre-pay the room rental, thus avoiding a rush at the desk with check-outs, pre-paid allows guests to do a quick and easy check-out with no long line-ups. All guests were made aware of this when the bookings were made, rooms booked for Stampede dates were pre-paid, non-cancellable and non-refundable.

A family of 4 on holiday would definitely have been more comfortable booking 2 rooms instead of 1. 4 people in any hotel room may be a crowd.

I do however, apologize that your stay did not measure up to your expectations, we will endeavour to try and make your next visit with us more comfortable

Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We are traveling by motorcycle in Canada. We called ahead to this hotel. The person on the phone was very abrupt. We made the reservation. The day we were to arrive in Calgary; Canada was experiencing thunderstorms and severe weather We called the hotel to cancel our reservation and was basically told that they don't care if we were traveling in severe weather or not a reservation is a reservation. They claimed to have told us there was no cancellation but they barely spoke English and were abrupt and rude. I would rethink your travel plans especially if you are on a motorcycle!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lightningsky
, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Dear Guest

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing the Days Inn Calgary South as your home away from home.

The reservation you made was a super discounted rate which is non-cancellable and non-refundable. This type of booking is usually made when the guest is sure nothing will change the travel plan.

When you called to cancel due to unforeseen circumstances; the line staff at our property cannot make such a call due to the nature of the reservation. However, the information was passed on to the Front Office Manager, who cancelled the reservation, without penalty and your card was never changed.

We suggest next time before putting up such reviews you talk to the person in-charge to verify the facts.

Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 3 July 2012

My husband, daughter, and I were driving through Calgary on our way to Alaska, and needed to find a place to stay. Check in was really easy, and the front lobby was really beautiful, so I thought we lucked out. We unloaded our car, and I looked around the parking lot. There were suspicious people hanging around, and I was a little nervous. We loaded up into the one elevator, and it creaked up to the third floor. As the door opened, it felt like a scene from a horror movie. The hall was very narrow, it creaked, and was uneven, like it had been patched with old boards. The entire hall smelled like smoke, and there were people running and yelling up and down the hall, slamming doors. We tried to get some sleep in our filthy room, but there was a big gap between the door and frame, so light shined in, and we could hear yelling and doors slamming until about 5 am. I was unable to sleep, and check-out couldn't come fast enough.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Kookla9
, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Dear Guest

I do apologize that the Days Inn Calgary South did not live up to your very high expectations, I do find your review helpful, however, in so much as we will strive harder to correct these short comings. Please do note that we are a non-smoking property and there is a $250.00 fine for any guest found smoking inside the property. This policy is strictly enforced, some guests do however, not conform to the rules, we do our best to monitor and fine guests that break the rules, some do slip away.
Our parking lot is monitored by CCTV and as such “suspicious” people are requested to move on.
Regarding your complaint that there was noise and slamming of doors, had you let the front desk know then it would have been taken care of.

Canada de Calatrava, Spain
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Clean Room & Very Affordable Great Corner Room with Tons of Light. There's a Building Next Door, but Having Windows Every Where you Look Makes this room perfect. The bathroom had a rain shower and window, just make sure you close the curtain....lol. Some noise from the elevator, but you don't really notice it too much.

Room Tip: Clean Room & Very Affordable Great Corner Room with Tons of Light. The bathroom had a rain s...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Ashu K
, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Dear Guest

Your review of our hotel is much appreciated. Thank you for your comments it makes us all very proud.

regards
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 20 June 2012 via mobile

This hotel is on a nasty street. Very filthy and devoid of anything usefull. Do not stay here with small children. The pros: Front staff is nice. Tim Hortons next door.
The cons: hotel is old and needs more updating. Underground parking area is disgusting and unsafe. Wifi is horrible and keeps dropping off. No hot water in morning. Windows are disgusting. Walls are thin as paper. Beds and linens are low quality, even for a Days Inn property.
This is a good option only if you absolutely have to stay in the area or just for a quick night rest off the road, otherwise go up the street to the Holiday Inn Express.
The management here needs to consider a very intense renovation of the hotel. Like rebuild it.

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BigPl8Man
, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Dear Guest

Your opinion is valued, however, there is little we can do about MacLeod Trail. We have done a lot in the past year to bring the property up and renovated all the guest rooms with new carpeting and paint. Also the guest room will be having new furnishings near the end of the year.

The hot water issue has been taken care of and in the last month no issues have been recorded. Do contact me at 403 243 1959 x 7163 and I will arrange a property tour for you.