“Poor Customer Service”

Days Inn - Calgary South
Ranked #86 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 20 August 2012

My family stayed at this hotel in early August and booked through hotwire. We were given a room with two beds which we found clean. My younger son enjoyed the view of the C-train from our window so it kept him amused while we were resting back at our hotel. We found the bathroom tiny which made bathing the kids difficult. Some of the other reviews commented about having no hot water but we found it came after running the water for 5 minutes.

Continental breakfast was provided in the downstairs breakfast room run by one staff. If you look at the number of people eating there in the morning you'll notice that isn't enough staff to keep the place clean. The poor lady was too busy keeping the food stocked and didn't have time to clean the tables. One thing that did annoy me was the state of the bathrooms in the breakfast/lobby area. There is a bathroom in the breakfast room area but the lights did not work, toilets were clogged, no toilet paper, so we weren't sure if they were even functional. There is a bathroom right in front of the front desk but the ladies bathroom was 'Out of Order' for the three days that we stayed there. I have young kids so not having a bathroom nearby was annoying and I wound up using the men's bathroom each day downstairs!

On one of my outings to Telus Sparks, I wound up going to the old Calgary Space museum by mistake. Drove back to the hotel to meet up with the rest of my family and inquired with the front desk if they could tell me where Telus Sparks was located. She had no clue and pointed me towards the stack of flyers on the wall! And to rub it in, the next day I noticed they had a brochure of the attraction right at the front desk. Seriously, the front desk people work in the tourism business so shouldn't they know where the attractions are? Both my husband and I felt like the staff was disengaged, except for one asian front desk person and the poor ladies that ran the breakfast room. Also, I think it's very unprofessional to be checking your personal phone when someone is checking in.

My husband found the need to use their internet for a business meeting. The internet connection was not fast enough for a Skype call and it also cut out a few times during his meeting. Needless to say he was not happy with their WiFi connection.

Overall, I don't think my family would stay at this hotel based on our experience and would consider other options around the city.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Luv2Trav3l
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Dear Guest

Your comments are invalueable to us and the management and staff have been appraised of your review, it will help us to improve all aspects of our property.
All the short commings noted by you will be/have been addressed and will be improved for your next stay with us.

Regards

There are newer reviews for Days Inn - Calgary South

Reviewed 9 August 2012

We stayed 5 nights for a national swimming competition at Talisman Centre. The hotel is only 15 minutes walking distance to the pool and it can absolutely save lots money on car rental. There is also a train station nearby, about 3 minutes walking, and it is only one stop to the pool.
The room is quite roomy and clean, but the airconditioner is very noisy and hard to adjust the right temperature at night. There is no microwave in the room which is different from what their website disclosed. It's very inconvenient that I had to bring my own food down to the lobby and bring it back up to my room. On the third day, our toilet was flooding. It was quickly fixed after we called the front desk.
The breakfast was served well, except the area that was partly closed for renevation during that time. Overall, the stay was pleasant.

Room Tip: ask if you need a microwave in your room
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MaxineChen
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Dear Guest

Thankyou for your review, it was a pleasure for us to host all the guests visiting the Talisman centre for the swim meet.

The few short commings mentioned will be taken care of and we trust your next stay with us will be even more pleasent.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

Don't go there for the view! The hotel is nice-Especially the entrance & pool area. The reception was very courteous and the breakfast was a bit hectic but good to start the day. The room was clean, beds comfortable, & the TV worked well. (Offside: when will these hotels upgrade their TV's to flat, HD, wall mounted versions to save space?)

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking a back alley bar with a band.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank PatW227
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Dear Guest
Thankyou very much for taking the time to review our property, we are happy to hear that your stay with us was comfortable.
We have up-graded to flat screen TV's in most of our guest rooms, the few that still remain will be up-graded this season.

Reviewed 23 July 2012

Visit this hotel for 3 nights during the Stampede, Service was terrible, rude at the checked in, they asked me to pay everything in advance (375$/night). Hotel is very old and not updated. Pool not clean, old carpets, strange smell. A family close to my room was talking all night and is it like if they were sitting in my room. Cold breakfast is the same as other brand with waffle, cereals, bread... probably the nest part of the trip.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank L-P L
Reviewed 17 July 2012

stayed at this hotel in june 2012, the room we got was filthy, windows dirty inside,dont think a deep clean had been done for ages found dirty clothing from somebody else down beside fridge in room,bedding was old and bobbly in real need of an update.Find some where else

Oh and breakfast was nothing to write home about

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank val m
Sampej, Director of Sales at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

Dear Guest

I am sorry to note that you were a bit dissatisfied with our hotel property in general, I will pass your concerns to our housekeeping department and do rest assured that all steps to address these short commings.

We will do our best to remedy all in the near future.

Regards
Osman

Reviewed 14 July 2012

Stayed at the Days Inn Calgary South during Stampede week this year. When we checked in, we were helped by an extremely nice gentlemen named Baba. He was really helpful and kind, Kudos to you Baba!

One thing to know, do not go to the restaurant that is attached to the hotel. They are not owned by the hotel, so its no shame to them, however it was terrible! No air conditioning (or fans!!) so it was sweltering and terrible service. The servers are irritable and grumpy. It was their "wing night" and they even got the wings wrong, c'mon guys!

Room Tip: Ask for an newly renovated room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kelly M

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking time out of your busy schedule to review our hotel property. Yes, Baba is a great asset to our property and a very nice person, I will pass on your comments to him.

We are also in the final stages of completing our in-house restaurant, planned opening is early September 2012, this should resolve your second concern as well.

Osman

Reviewed 13 July 2012

I recently checked in to this hotel to attend a business function in the area. It wasn't my first choice, but due to Stampede Price Gouging at other hotels, it had to do.

Upon arriving at the hotel, the clerk was more interested in getting his name tag straight than assisting me. After the process was done, I dropped my items off in my room and left for a few hours. When I arrived back, I placed my suitcase at the end of the bed and to my utter disgust found a used, open bottle of lubricant.

I called the front desk, and the same clerk came to my room. He said he had a hard time believing that "I just found" the bottle, because I had been checked for 7 hours. He said he would talk to the HouseKeeping supervisor, and left it at that.

What a joke. I will not be back.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Basque17

Dear Guest

I do appologize for the negetive experience you had at your recent stay at our hotel, do understand it was a very busy 2 weeks of Stampede for all hotel properties in Calgary and once in a while things do slip through the cracks.

I have mentioned your concern to both the Front Office Manager and the Housekeeping Manager, who have assured me that this matter will be addressed to the concerned staff mambers.

Bad service is not something we are proud of, we will strive to better ourselves

osman