“A bit of a facade”

Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary South
Ranked #57 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 25 August 2012

At first glance it seems 3 star plus - but the desk staffer was a bit passive-aggressive in that my compnay had booked the room with a credit card but, she thought, did not fax in the authorization. I was not getting my room without giving my CC to guarantee the first night... it turned out the fax had been sent - and resent due to this staffer. But she was one of about 3 I encountered over the week I stayed that were neutral to negative. The wireless signal was totally useless - luckily I pack a hard wire ethernet cable. The "business" centre costs for usage and it used up my entire 20 minutes just downloading a single PDF! I complained about it to the desk but that was shrugged off. The housekeeping was up and down depending on the day - the washroom was poorly built and laid out - could not even flush the toilet without putting the lid down as the counter overlaps the toilet install.

Room Tip: Get one away from the ice machine and elevator as noises in the hallways come right into the room. I...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Bill R

Reviewed 13 August 2012

My husband & I stayed here this past weekend for two nights with our 9 month old son, in one of their king one bedroom suites. Check in was easy. Room was very nice - we had a living room area, kitchenette/bathroom area, and then the bedroom connected to that. Modern rooms, comfortable bed, two TVs. My only complaint about the rooms is that the energy efficient bulbs they use are quite dim. Could have had a brighter room if we had opened the curtains in the bedroom, but since we were in a room on the first floor, we looked right over the parking lot and I didn't like the idea of all the drunk people from the Shark Club being able to look in our room as they stumbled to their cars. The pool/whirlpool was nothing fancy but it was clean and we had a lot of fun with our son in it. Loved the Denny's....not usually a fan of Denny's food but the breakfast was SO fresh and we were very surprised. We ordered in from Moxies both nights. The only thing we didn't like about the hotel was the issue with the drunk people from the Shark Club...especially on our second night there....there was a huge fight right outside our bedroom window and I sat there covering my sons ears so he didn't get woken up while my husband called the front desk. But it was dealt with right away. Overall, hotel is in a fantastic location - Walmart, Ikea, Superstore, etc all right there, it's very clean, good dining options, and friendly staff. We'd stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank kris621
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Stayed for 3 nights and was upgraded to a loft room. The room was clean and nicely decorated It took a few hours to cool off the upper sleeping area as the air had been turned off and the unit is on the lower level.
The free Internet had a decent signal and was fairly strong on both levels. For $189 they should throw in a bottled water and they were a little cheap on the shampoo and conditioner which was never replenished and I had to squeeze the last drops out on the third morning. (just cheap)
The hotel is connected to a Denny's and a moxies with many fast food choices within a short walk.
Lobby was clean, but all 3 mornings the free coffee was empty. Again, it's the little things that lack.
Overall not bad, but lacks a few touches for the price.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Maxxmaxx44
Reviewed 25 July 2012

The staff really make this hotel great. The rooms are average but new. The bed very comfy.
The location is excellent, very easy to get to. Close to shopping, good restaurants. Easy access to the city via glenmor and deerfoot.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank jellybeanninjax
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We booked this hotel because our car broke down before we leave Calgary. The price we paid for the room is well worth the money. The hotel was located near Wal-mart, Superstore and other retail stores. There were also Denny's and Moxies near by.
It has a fresh smell of renovation in the hallway. The room was clean and modern. The beds were clean and comfy. The rooms has good sound installation, because we didn't hear much noise outside of our room. There aint much views from our window since its located in 2nd level. There is a small convience store located inside the lobby where u could buy some instant noodles and daily use stuffs. The elevator requires room key to operate which make us feel safe in the hotel. We didnt try the pool and fitness.
Overall everything is nice and perfect. Highly recommended hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank xiaosin
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Being new with the company they asked if would like to stay here at the Sandman. I had never stayed at one before and now will be looking for these as I travel. The staff were so great as they checked me in a day early without any questions and wwelcomed me with openess.

Room Tip: Be sure to checkout all the great places to eat around the hotel all in walking distance.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank James S
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We spent 2 nights at this hotel recently and were very impressed with everything about our stay. The king room was modern and clean and the bed and pillows were so comfortable I wished I could bring them home. I think this is the first hotel I've stayed at where you couldn't hear doors closing with a slam or the noise of showers running. There's so much shopping nearby it's fantastic - Walmart, IKEA, Superstore, Future Shop, etc., etc., and with Denny's and Moxie's adjoining the hotel you didn't need to drive anywhere to find a place to eat. The only problem we encountered was with parking one night but that was due to the fact that The Shark Club was having its grand opening and it's located across the driveway from the hotel. Even that was minor because we only had to drive around the hotel once before we found an open spot. Highly recommended! Didn't use the pool or fitness facilities but both looked good.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple