“Very good 3 day stay!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #73 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Canada
“Very good 3 day stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in August. There were 3 of us and we found the room was plenty big enough. My daughter slept on the pull out bed and us in the King. There were 2 rooms which the bedroom had a slide door. We had 2 TV's a small kitchenette and we loved the fact we could bring our dog. 3 restaurants are right there on the property with the Walmart a stone throw away. The Hotel has close to Deerfoot and Glenmore therefore Chinook Mall is under 10 mins away and the downtown under 20 mins. The only issue I had with this hotel was the lighting in the room was not bright enough for my liking but that will not stop me from staying there again. The young man at the front desk was super helpful. He needs a pat on the back for his helpfulness and friendliness. We stayed Aug 15th to 18th.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel is quieter. Some rooms have balconies which I thought would have been nice.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

Very helpful staff, rooms are nicely done, very clean, we would definitely stay here again. Felt we were being taken care of by family.(front desk manager)
Very convenient to have multiple restaurants close by, easy access to the deer foot and glenmore trail, not badly priced. We checked out of the Travelodge on Macleod trail after a drunk tried to kick our door in, we found the sandman at 1230 am, night staff were extremely helpful. It was like we passed into paradise!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Unity, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

Sheets were clean, but stained; comfortable mattress. Lower quality linens. Hallway carpet shows heavy wear even though hotel only a few years old. Seems like hotel is so busy, housekeeping doesn't always keep up. TV only had two channels in exercise room!? I could have asked for help, but didn't have time. Comp coffee & fruit in lobby. Can't beat price for this hotel, but don't expect five star quality.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank J0seiT
gm_calsouth, Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary South, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Good morning and thank you for taking the time to let us know of your comments. We take all comments - good and bad - very seriously and are always looking for ways to improve. Your observations have been brought forth to our team for corrections. We look forward to seeing you in the very near future.

British Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

Stayed 2 nights in early June at a weekend rate of $99. Very clean room with a small balcony, fridge. and microwave. My room had 2 queen beds and was on the back of the hotel so was very quiet. The person front desk was very courteous, understanding, and extremely patient and helpful. Thank goodness for that, as I was having one of "those" days! First I couldn't find my find my credit cards when I was checking in and then I left the key in the room not once, not twice, but three times, so had to have new keys made three times within an hour. He just kept assuring me that I was not being a nuisance - saying "these things happen, please don't feel embarrassed." My only concern is that I found the lighting to in the bathroom to be a bit too energy efficient, and would have appreciated more light for applying makeup. We will be staying there again in August, as it is convenient to where I need to be. There are nicer hotels in downtown Calgary, but the rates during the week are high and parking fees in downtown Calgary are ridiculous.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chemainus48
gm_calsouth, Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary South, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Good morning, and thank you for the time to let us know about your stay. while some energy efficient lights do not meet everyone's lighting criteria, we do our best to make sure we are leaving a positive blueprint on the environment by being as energy efficient as possible..

we certainly look forward to seeing you in the future and should you require, we would be pleased to switch out the lights for you to give you a better light requirement, please just let us know at the time of your check in, and we would be happy to accommodate you.

Best regards

Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

When I got into my room, there was a weird smell like something was rottening., I call the front desk to let them know, they send someone right away, after 2 hours the smell came back, so I started to look around and see what it was. I looked behind the table, and find a rotten apple with ants all over. I went to the front desk to compliant and also to get my room changed. I got a new room. The new room I got was okey but it was dirty blood stain on bed, and the sheets didn't smell clean some what dusty

I rate this hotel 5/10

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Kelsacore J
gm_calsouth, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary South, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Good morning, without a guest name and date of stay it is very hard to verify guest stayed with our property. I have reached out to the guest via the email provided, however to date have not received a response.
As you can read from previous reviews, and on line comments, our hotel is one of the cleanest in Calgary, and we take great pride in this. Our housekeeping team won the most recent AHLA housekeeping award given for excellence in housekeeping cleanliness standards. I hope to hear from this guest, in order to facilitate a speedy resolve to the concern.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

Highs

Proximity to work
Spacious upgraded room, clean
Centre of city
Decent restaurants attached

Lows

A bit pricey without Breakfast included
Nothing included in room I.e. bottle of water
Average bed
No hd tv channels

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank JackandJill1970
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

Booked this hotel at the last second for business. It was nice and clean, and the staff at the desk were friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and new. The amenities and restaurants are all nice and right in the hotel or by the hotel. You can check in here, and have a choice of Denny's or Moxie's and there was a Sports bar right across from the parking lot. You really don't need to leave the hotel for anything once you've checked in. Great place.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business