“Excellent Hotel, Excellent Price”

Best Western Premier Freeport Inn & Suites
Ranked #4 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We used this Hotel close to the Calgary Airport just starting the Stampede because we couldn't find another good and affordable hotel for that weekend. The rooms and the bathrooms were impeccable and very clean. The free breakfast its a plus. Maybe the distance from the downtown would be the only cons but based in the price, quality and good service I would stay with them again.

1  Thank JLPrato
Write a ReviewReviews (1,563)

Reviewed 3 August 2011

Very comfortable bed, roomie, friendly staff, close to the airport. We were very happy while we stayed there.

Reviewed 2 August 2011

The hotel was just a few months old, so everything was still new. It is situated quite close to the airport, but this didn't appear to create any issues with noise/traffic, etc. We were in Calgay for the Stampede, so it was quite a way out from the Stampede ground. The room itself was well appointed, with microwave and fridge, the bathroom was also beautiful. Breakfast was included in the room rate, but it was a help yourself scenario which could be improved. There were two toasters available to the entire amount of guests, which resulted in queues The breakfast selection also left a lot to be desired and the one staff member bringing out food and clearing plates appeared to be a little stressed! A lovely new hotel, but the breakfast situation needs working on!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Kim R, General Manager at Best Western Premier Freeport Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2016

Thank you so much for your great view. Our hotel is almost 5 years old and is very well maintained. Stampede is a very busy time for us which is why our breakfast was super busy during your stay. Our breakfast offers a buffet style menu with an omelette station, waffle bar and a variety of other options like cereals, fresh fruits and more. We will definitely consider your suggestions and we look forward to your stay with us very soon.

Reviewed 1 August 2011

We spent three nights at this very new hotel. The location is very strange but it is convenient to the airport and route 2. The room was exceptional, very clean and well furnished. The beds were very comfortable. I had an issue the first night as we were on the top floor and there was a low-pitched hum and vibration from equipment on the roof. My fellow travelers were not disturbed by it at all. When I mentioned it at the desk, they immediately gave us a room on a different floor. The hotel has an indoor pool and spa, fitness room, and a coin laundry and we used all of them. The one negative was the complimentary breakfast. It had all the expected breakfast buffet items but the poor waitress could not possibly keep up with the demand on a busy morning. It was chaotic, poorly laid out, and insufficiently staffed. Overall, however, we would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: I would recommend a second floor room if you're sensitive to low-piched sounds.
1  Thank wptaz

Thank you so much for your great review. Our location is just 7 minutes away from the Calgary airport and minutes away from all the major highways. Cross Iron Mills is only 10 minutes away with over 200 restaurant options. I will pass on your great comments to my housekeeping and maintenance as they will really appreciate your great feedback. I am extremely sorry that you didn't enjoy your breakfast as expected due to unexpected short staff that morning. Although I am glad that you enjoyed all of our other amenities and that you will give us another chance and come back to stay with us. We look forward to having you back again very soon.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

Number 1 - Loved the Pool. Brand New Hotel, very well put together. Location is okay, close to CrossIron Mills Mall. A bit of a drive to central Calgary. The breakfast is okay, does the job for getting meal in the morning. The Juice is really good. Rooms are spacious and clean. Would definitely recommend!

1  Thank Andsar99

Thank you so much for your 5 star review. Our location is very close to the calgary airport and being just 7 minutes away it is very convenient for a quick stop or when on a vacation with your family. We are minutes away from all the major highways so getting in the city is also very convenient. We serve a complimentary breakfast buffet style hot and cold. This includes an omelet station -choice of your omelette made fresh, waffle bar, fresh fruits, cereals and a lot more. Thank you for your great feedback about our rooms. I will pass your generous comments to my housekeeping staff and they will be so happy. We look forward to your stay with us again.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

I have already stayed at this hotel more than once for business. Everytime I arrived, I was greeted by the friendly front desk staff. I can't complain about the rooms, they are laid out nicely and well-appointed. The hotel is still new, so everything is very clean.

As I stay here more and more, I am seeing a serious flaw. One which could lead to several angry guests and problems. There seems to be a shortage of staff. Less staff = more wait times? Long story short.

My first couple of stays were excellent. I didn't know about it then, but this hotel offered a free shuttle to and from the airport. During one of my stays in June, I called for a shuttle pickup. It arrived in about 10 minutes after my call. The driver who picked me up was also the front desk agent, as I had found out after when they checked me in. Later on in the evening, while I was enjoying a drink at the in house bar, I was watching the same staff member running back and forth with towels to the pool. Nonstop. I literally said wow when I saw that. But it doesn't end there. Later on that night, the room that I was in was having air conditioning issues. I called the front desk to let them know what was happening and if they could send someone to resolve the issue. Guess who shows up at my door, knocking 5 minutes later? Yes, the same person. I was in shock. I was told there was no maintenance person in the evenings. Thankfully, it was fixed, which allowed me to get a good night's sleep.

In the morning, the same thing played out again. The breakfast room was extremely busy that morning. There was a shortage of food and supplies. Tables were dirty. There was only one kitchen staff on hand doing everything. EVERYTHING. The staff member at the front desk that checked me out also drove and dropped me off at the airport.

I really hope management realizes that this is a serious issue and not acceptable. With the nature of this industry and how anything can come about with guest demands, the amount of staff that this hotel has can lead to some long delays and issues. Guests are priority. They pay the money and can't be told to wait.

I've stayed at other hotels before and I haven't seen it this bad when it comes to anything staff related.

Other than that, this hotel needs to expand on it's restaurant menu. There isn't much to offer. If you don't have a vehicle with you or don't want to pay for a cab, then be warned, there isn't much nearby. The only thing in walking distance was an Italian restaurant at the other hotel. The fitness centre and free wifi are nice additions. Also, can't complain about the good rates and the hotel being very close to the Calgary International airport.

• Stayed: July 2011
7  Thank ry0ky0
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We had to overnight en route home to Kelowna from Nfld. It was Stampede time - and we found this new hotel on line in April. We truly had NO choice but to book this property - and what a wonderful treat ! We called the hotel from the airport and the van was there to meet us by the time our luggage arrived. The check in was awkward - lots of people and few staff managing the desk...but the wait was worthwhile. This is beautifully designed and the interior decoration is so tasteful and charming. Our room had a great flat screen - computer access - fridge - coffee makers - ironing board etc...just a great finale to a long holiday!!! Could not recommend it more highly. There is also a lovely pool and fitness centre - a great business centre with the newest in computers PLUS a great breakfast is included in the price. Try this hotel - you will NOT be sorry!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends