“mediocre”

Halo Steak Seafood & Wine Bar
Price range: US$14 - US$32
Cuisines: Greek, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Cozy and comfortable casual fine dining with a separate lounge. Diners can enjoy House Made Sauces, Soups, and Potatoes to accompany a delicious AAA Alberta Beef Hand Cut Steak or Prime Rib, or of course our Fresh Seafood. Join us in the Lounge for a full menu as well as Pub fare made from the finest ingredients. And don't forget choose a great wine or cocktail. Finish off with a great dessert made in house with love and care.
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Was just not satisfactory food. Service staff was courteous and very professional. Steak was dry and seafood was not fresh. All in all just not a good experience. Possibly try again, could of been an off night for kitchen. Gave a average rating due to good service staff.

1  Thank dancegrandma2014

Reviewed 7 March 2014

It was the first time my husband and I went to Halo for dinner. We had a $25 gift card and only want to have a quick dinner. We ate and the bill came to $34 after taken $25 off from the gift card. We paid by credit card and my husband just put down $43 in the total area. It came with a big suprise when we received the Visa bill. We were charged for $77. The waiter has the nerve to claim $43 for tips. The $43 was clearly written under the total area. We called and got our money back but it has alreagdy given a very bad reputation to the restaurant. We will not go back and will advise our friends not going there either.

5  Thank mag123_12
Reviewed 18 February 2014

It is too bad this was such a bad experience. The waiters were excellent and courteous I ordered prime rib and my wife ordered Steak and lobster. Her lobster was so overcooked it was like rubber. Now my wife likes Med rare steak but this was blue blue blue.. She did nothing since I had sent the prime rib back to the chef. It was not med rare and it was tough but the main reason everything on my plate was cold.. My waiter was wonderful and returned with a hot plate of something. It certainy was not a prime rib cut but more like thick pound steak. Id id not eat much other than the potato. My wife refused to let me send hers or mine back again. So they have lost a customer. The only reason we went there is it was a great location and we were scouting out a restaurant that could accommodate my mom's 80th birthday with a table of 16. Too bad they lost a great deal of business on my visit. Do not recommend this place.

2  Thank RonL511
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We went to Halo because we were craving Steak and Seafood and the website advertises those as their specialities. This is unfortunately far from the truth. The steak was dry and well below standards for Alberta beef. The seafood was far from fresh. When I pay $50 for Alaskan King Crab I expect it to be tender and cooked properly, like it is so many other places in Calgary. At Halo it was fishy and rubbery. A huge disappointment from what we were expecting! Its a tough call because the service and atmosphere were spectacular. It is just obvious that halo does not focus on stocking the kitchen with Quality ingredients. The "butter" they served with the bread was the same used as the drawn butter with the seafood and was over seasoned and salted. There really is no excuse for poor steak in this city, especially if you are going to charge fine dining prices. We will not be back.

2  Thank kwatt_232
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Eight of us showed up, some looking for great beef. We were not disappointed with the food or the service. The Greek cheese appetizer was to die for, as were the mushrooms and shrimp appetizers. And we are pretty sure they use butter with their sourdough bread (either that or the margarine is outstanding). Five different steaks, some ribs, and a rack of lamb were ordered for the main course and all were done properly. The only complaint would be that the plating was slow - almost 5 minutes from the time the first dish arrived to the last, meaning the first plate was cool. The evening was completed with peanut butter cake (huge portion size), a fluffy chocolate mousse, and Christmas type baklava. Everything was was nicely done. Thanks.