“A Taste of the East”

The Himalayan
Ranked #3 of 3,725 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Nepalese
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Himalayan Restaurant serves Nepali cuisine, which has influences from India and China.
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Hidden away in a nondescript strip mall on 17Av SW, this unassuming location does little to suggest the marvellous authentic Himalayan cuisine that awaits beyond the door. We have been enjoying fine meals of exiting explosions of flavours for several years, and for several 'occasions'. The lunch buffet is superb, with multiple dishes to treat your palette, at a very reasonable price. For evening meals, I simply ask the server, often the owner, to feed us. The resulting feast is balanced and exciting, with new dishes gracing our table each time. The staff is always helpful with suggestions, enjoyable to interact with.
Enjoy!!!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Such a wonderful treasure in Calgary, Alberta. Respectably humble on the outside, and quaint on the inside, one does not expect the amazing meal that is about to be had. The flavours were exciting, the plating traditional, and the aromas intoxicating. Service was spot on. The restaurant was clean and comfortable, and the energy alive. Highly highly recommended to anyone with a love of spice and cuisine from around the world.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

My mom enjoys enjoys the lunch buffet at this restaurant, and treated my daughter and I when we were in Calgary. We went on a Saturday, and when we arrived at 11:30 a.m., there was already a line of people waiting for the restaurant to open. While we didn't have a reservation and many of the tables were reserved, we were able to get a table.

The buffet had about eight hot dishes, some salad options and three desserts. The food was fresh and delicious. The bill for three people was $48.

It was apparent many of the customers were regulars. The Manager was friendly, polite and knew people by name.

There is an a la carte menu at dinner.

I thoroughly enjoyed dining at this restaurant and would definitely return and recommend it. Do make a reservation.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

My girlfriend and I dined here last week and after reading such fantastic reviews we were expecting a much more exciting meal.
I have to say, the service was great and very personal and the décor very nice. The lighting was too low though and the food, while good, wasn't excellent. We had the himalayan tofu and chicken chau chau as entrees with the fried cottage cheese with veggie momos to start. My friends exact words, "We could have made these dishes at home with the same results". We were surprised after such great reviews.
When going to a restaurant of such caliber, such great promotion, I think you expect to be wowed and this we were not. Thank you to our friendly host though, great service.

2  Thank Amanda P
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This small restaurant is easy to miss. We drove past twice before we noticed the sign. The meal was first class, but it was the attitude and environment that impressed the most. We had an early meal (5:00PM) and most of the tables had a reserved sign on them. As others arrived they were greeted and in many cases recognized by the owner as previous customers. We were recognized as new customers and our thoughts were solicited at the end of the meal. By the time we were finished the place was all but full.