“Not much of anything!”

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Not much of anything!”
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I went on line to see which market was open on a Thursday, and found that this one advertised it was open.. When I arrived I was shocked to see only one vendor outside, and a few sparce things inside.. I wanted to purchase some fresh veggies, but there was oly one vendor that had veggies and fruit and they were far from fresh.. I asked if their green pea's were fresh and the young girls said "oh yes" and I asked when they were picked and she responded by saying "Monday", not so fresh in my books, it was noticable, the shells were faded and wrinkled.. Nothing else in there of any interest.. Won't be back there, not worth the time or the effort!
The one on Blackfoot and Heritage is so much better, but the listing on the internet said they weren't open on Thursdays, but it may have been wrong.. I would definately check that one out, and skip Kingsland..

Visited July 2012
2 Thank surfrgirl

Winnipeg, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great Vendors,Particularly If You Have Dietary Concerns”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Lovely visit. Calgarians are fortunate to have a variety of year round farmers markets.
Many vendors offering food choices that take into consideration dietary restrictions.
Other vendors/artisans are also present at this market.Whether you purchase or not drop by "In Wild Photos" , lovely pictures for home or cottage.
Some but not all of the vendors we visited were; Frontier Nutz and Candy (had a selection of organic nuts and trail mixes).Had a wheat germ shooter at Lund's Organic Farm-The Carrot Top Juice Bar, Yum... That was a new experience! Followed by a coffee from Roast Coffee and Tea Co.
Bravo Calgary, another great farmers market available year round.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank Prarie-Traveller
Calgary, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“The best Hand-to-Mouth fare in Calgary”
Reviewed 24 October 2011

"Let's go to Kingsland Farmer's Market today", says my wife yesterday, having heard from her increasing network of celiac and food-conscious friends in Calgary that this place is apparently chockablock with vendors that know what celiac disease is, and what it does to people, and most importantly, how wonderful it is to come across something which you can eat with abandon and not worry once, about any bite going in your mouth threatening to incapacitate you for the next four days.

This was new for me. I have always been on the hunt for what tastes good. I figured - what the heck? Not only might we find a GF (gluten-free) biscuit or two that will make her tummy happy, but I might get some interesting tastes in besides. But when I saw tears in her eyes as she sampled the shiitake cream of mushroom soup, followed by the exquisite red velvet almond macarons, the Saskatoon berry compote, the Spolumbo's chicken and apple sausage with fresh tomato sauce, the fresh free-range grilled pork farmer's sausage, the Thai green curry on jasmine rice, and the tuscan olive salad - every bite gluten-free, and every bite (as I herewith confirm to be true) absolutely, unbeatably and undeniably as delicious as anything I have ever tasted anywhere else....I witnessed, right before my very eyes, the birth of a new foodie.

Her eyes shone as someone walked past her, carrying a plate of roasted root vegetables with herbs. She asked that total stranger, ever so politely, if she would mind telling her where she got that. She gasped audibly at the concept of meat-filled, AND ricotta-filled canneloni - and doubly so when the proprietor of that stall promised that his gluten-free pasta is better than anything we've ever tasted. If it wasn't, he laid a free lasagne on the line - come back, say you didn't like it as much as the old wheat pasta, and the lasagne is yours. We bought one of each. And gnocchi! Wheat-free gnocchi - pillows of love! Never had these had the pull, the attraction for her as they did that day. We bought some of those, too.

We sampled the Alberta-made traditional mead - yup, that medieval wine made with honey. We sampled three kinds of Thai curry before settling on the green one to take home - they pack all the ingredients in a kit, inside one of those Chinese carry-out cartons - for you to cook up when you get home, from scratch. We did that for dinner tonight - with exotica like slivered lime leaves, palm sugar, fish sauce, coconut milk permeating the kitchen. Not a single bite was left - and the whole family ate it. We made ours with chicken and fresh broccoli....

We stopped by Primal Grounds' stall in the market - yes, it's a coffee emporium, but with a huge, confident, and well-deserved reputation for making the best gluten-free soups in the business. On offer, as samples, were the shiitake cream of mushroom - which made my wife cry out "I belong here! These are my people!" - as well as German caraway borscht. We promptly bought a liter of the mushroom, and a liter of the roasted tomato vegetable, with a commitment to come back for Japanese miso and lemon dill chicken (because they had sold out). And then Margaret, who cooks these soups that sustain and bring comfort to so many, told my wife that because her diagnosis had been so recent, she deserved to be spoiled - and provided a fresh walnut and berry biscuit to eat with the soup.

She had the tomato soup for lunch today. Last night, we had the free range pork farmer's sausage, with the sweetest, creamiest cranberry coleslaw and a genuine German Oma's potato salad. I don't care anymore that those pigs are loose in the back forty - leave them alone, let them eat - look at this sausage!!!

Yes - the market is ideal for those who need to be gluten-free - but also contains a large variety of vendors of all other kinds of food as well. Do yourself a favor - next time you are in Calgary, and would like a change - get a hotel room with a kitchen, and go to Kingsland to get yourself some delectable delights at a quarter of the price of restaurant fare. You won't regret it.

Visited September 2011