“Would stay there again”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
“Would stay there again”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Rates for a fall weekend reasonable ($125 per night, booked directly on hotel website). Lots of parking. Efficient and friendly check in. When we asked for extra towel, was promptly delivered. Good size room. Room fan only had one speed, was tricky to get to a comfortable temperature. Very clean room. Included fridge and microwave. Fridge didn't have thermostat, so couldn't adjust it, froze our drinks. Excellent breakfast, but could use more seating in their lobby area. The pool is not very large and you would need to be careful if crowded as the waterslide goes right into it. Multi story slide is fun. Pool water needs to be warmer (common complaint I have about most hotels. Come on, Alberta, don't you have tons of natural gas?). Hot tub was large. Vending machines and ice on all floors, which is good. Lots of restaurants across the street both south and west of hotel. LIked the idea of being next to police station -- would have to be pretty gutsy to break into cars at this hotel. Noise wasnt an issue. LIke my title says, I would stay there again and would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Stairs are at the end of each hall.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Robin A, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Thank you very much markonefive for your feedback. I have passed along your comments to our team to ensure that any concerns have been addressed. I hope to be of service to you again for any future travel that you may have in our area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I stayed in this hotel for business and I enjoyed it. The rooms are spacious, modern and very well maintained. Business centre, laundry rooms, fitness centre and a pool are some of their amenities. What I liked most is there Wifi everywhere being a gadget savvy I am. They offer free breakfast which is something I find cool since the last hotel I stayed in Alberta did not have this service. Softdrinks and ice vending machine are situated in every floor.

The place is just within walking distance to Shawnessy train station and shopping centre. It is close to lots of restaurants which make it easy in finding a place to eat. You can stay for weeks and won't need to have the same place again.

Staff are nice and very well trained. All requests are being addressed in a timely manner.

Will surely stay again. You've got a very satisfied customer here. Thanks for such an awesome stay!

Room Tip: stay away from rooms near the elevators.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you bok_1981 for taking the time to post your comments. I am pleased to see that our WiFI was to your liking as this was recently upgraded to satisfy our clients and ensure that those on business were able to work anywhere in the hotel. I look foward to being of service to you on your next business trip to Calgary.
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I stayed at the Wingate in south Calgary this past weekend and I was extremely impressed. When I arrived, the front desk attendant Ronaldo was very welcoming and upgraded us to a Jacuzzi suite because I was a Wyndham Rewards member and was staying there for the first time.

When I entered the suite, the room was huge and spotless. Everything within the suite was well above expectations and I could not believe that the hotel would make such an upgrade. The bed was extremely comfortable and everything in the room appeared brand new, including the two HD TVs with HD channels included.

I used the business centre at the hotel as well and it was a good room to do any extra business work that required a printer or such.

We did not take advantage of the free breakfast as we were running behind, but the breakfast looked much better than the standard one you get at most hotels.

Simply put, I wish we would have stayed at the Calgary Wingate for more than one night. I will definitely be coming back to stay here the next time I am staying in the south end of Calgary.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you jchip9 for your comments. Our hotel is continually upgrading and replacing our guest amenities. It is great to get this type of feedback showing that these improvements make a difference in the guest experience. I look forward to your next stay while in our area.
Sherwood Park
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This was our first time at this hotel and it was a positive experience overall. We were travelling with friends from Australia and they were upgraded to a suite which impressed our friends very much. We found the rooms clean and comfortable. The beds were great. Breakfast was included and was good for the most part. We all agreed that the two egg dishes we experienced were a disappointment and more of a variety of fruit would have been nice. We booked our reservation online and received a very reasonable rate for the room. The hotel location is in the SE area of Calgary so if you are planning to spend the majority of your time in the central or downtown area it may not be a desirable location. Major roadways to get you out of the city in all directions are very accessible, the longest heading north and it would take approximately 30 minutes on the freeway.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you jsallan for your feedback. I am glad that we were able to make your stay both pleasant and comfortable. It is our goal to ensure all of our guests get that "home away from home" feel during their time with us. I look forward to your next stay.
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 27 September 2013

During our recent trip to Alberta, we stayed at hotels in Canmore, Banff, Edmonton, and Drumheller and the Wingate in Calgary was by far the nicest one. I found the beds to be the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept in. The room was very spacious and clean. Despite having gone to the waterpark at West Edmonton Mall, the kids still couldn't get enough of the waterslide. The continental breakfast was also better than any other I've experienced offering many hot and cold options including cereal, muffins, pastries, fruit, eggs, sausages, bagels, yogurt, English muffins, and of course we all loved making our own waffles!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you MichelleandDerek for taking the time to offer your feedback. It is comments such as yours that confirm our team's dedication to delivering an exceptional guest experience every time. I hope to see you again on your next trip though Alberta.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 26 September 2013

The manager here at the Wingate is fantastic. Calgary was booked up at every hotel on a recent trip. Even though I was not staying at the Wingate she called every hotel till she found a room for me. Certainly A+ customer service!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you Arran R for taking the time to post your comments. I am glad that we were able to find you a room in Calgary and look forward to being of service to you at our property for your next trip to the area.
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed 12 September 2013

It was nice to have a suite composed of a living room and separate bedroom. I would however enjoyed it more if the television in the living room was working! The service overall was pretty good except for the failure to replace a light bulb in the living room which had burnt out and I had placed on the table on which it stood. I was out of the room for most of my time and my stay was short and I didn't bother to report the deficiences howver, I am confident that they would have been rectified quicky. I,too, found the HVAC noisy but not overly annoying. I really liked the breakfast area and the selection of foods and drinks was very good. The front desk staff was both polite and helpful.

1 Thank Edmarchm
Robin A, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Thank you Edmarchm for your comments. It is comments like these that help us to drive our customer service and our guest experience higher. I am sorry that we were not given the opportunity to rectify your deficiencies, however, I am confident that we have done so promptly. I will pass along your comments to my team to ensure we are looking at the small details that make or break a stay.