“Overnight Stay at the Wingate Calgary South”

Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South
Ranked #38 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
GreenLeadersBronze level

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

Our stay at the Wingate was only for one night. Upon arriving at our room I was disappointed we weren't staying longer as I think we were upgraded to a studio/apartment set up with a huge lounge room in one area, a king bed in the bedroom and a spa bath in the spacious bathroom. After being in a smaller hotel in another city for 4 nights, it was wonderful to have some room. The crib I requested when booking wasn't provided initially but this was attended to and rectified promptly by the lovely lady on reception when we checked in. Breakfast options were good. Housekeeping staff were extremely friendly and they all greeted us on our way to breakfast. Unfortunately we didn't have the chance to use the water slide and pool - we checked in after 8pm and didn't leave our room until right on check out at 11am because of ongoing car rental issues. I did ask whether we could still use the pool facilities after check out and was told our keys no longer work after check out, so no. I understand the keys would be deactivated but thought you could arrange a day/visitor's pass for guests who want to enjoy your facilities after they vacate their room? A disappointing end to a good stay and we sadly left immediately for our next destination instead. Also wouldn't recommend the general location if only staying one night on a holiday - it seemed a fair distance away from everything else.

Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Lou J
Robin A, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Thank you Lou J for taking the time to review our hotel- I am sorry that you were not able to use all of our facilities and give us more feedback. I was glad to see that you were upgraded into one of our suites and I hope that you took some time for a long soak in your jacuzzi. I look forward to your return to our area and another trip to the hotel where you can try all that we have to offer.
Medicine Hat, Canada
Reviewed 31 October 2013

i recently stayed at the Wingate as I was having eye surgery in a nearby clinic. Prior to checking in I stopped at the front desk to see if i could check in early following my surgery, around 12:45-1:00pm and the friendly lady at the desk was very accommodating. I found this very helpful, We found the property to be very clean and our room was perfect. Any interaction with the staff was great and all were friendly. Everything in the room worked and the beds were comfortable. Although no one was using the pool, the pool area was clean, as well as the water. The fitness room likewise was clean. I will be back for further surgery and will again stay at this Hotel.

Room Tip: Hotel is located at the far south end of calgary. If this place was more central to downtown we woul...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Robert P
Robin A, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you Robert P for your kinds words. It is comments such as yours that help us to confirm the dedication from our team to delivering exceptional service and product to each of our guests. I am glad that we will be able to be of service to you in the future.
Red Deer
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We booked the "taste of the west" experience and although a little pricey it was well worth the expense. The room was huge with a separate bedroom and king bed. It was very clean and a very inviting atmosphere. A little worried about noise but proved not to be a concern. If all the other rooms were as clean and spacious as ours, I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others. I commend the staff on keeping this hotel clean and tidy. The only thing that was a disappointment was the water pressure and size of the tub/shower combination. Check in took a little longer than necessary as front desk clerk could not reach housekeeping to verify our room was ready, so she went to check herself. (very nice) It is a little difficult to find at first, as only a small sign indicates where to turn.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you Keith D for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. My apologies for the delay in check in as this truly is not our standard. I am glad to see additional comments about your experience as we take all guest concerns and try to find solutions for the best guest experiences possible. All of our rooms are larger than most hotels and we receive great feedback in this area on a regular basis We are fortunate to have a great housekeeping team helping us to keep them in tip top shape. I look forward to being your hotel of choice in the Calgary area.
Steinbach
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Nice clean property, friendly service, very good breakfast included.
Had a problem with our room keys not working when we returned later in the evening after our initial checkin. Ended up the batteries on the lock went dead. It was fixed as quickly as it could be but it did take almost an hour from start to finish. It would have been nice to have a small compensation for that especially given we didn't realize when we got our room quote that there was a higher room price for a week day versus a weekend. Had we realized that when the booking was done we may have amended our # of nights.
Noisy neighbours woke us up at 2:30 am but after a short while they were quietened down by I assume the front desk. Thank you.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

Thank you Globetrotter034 for your comments. We have been able to use these comments for more training on our new lock system to ensure faster repair times in the future. My apologies that you were inconvenienced during your stay. Our team strives to make each guest stay as trouble free as possible and I welcome you to stay with us again for just that experience.