“My northern cottage”

Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South
Ranked #44 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
GreenLeadersBronze level

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Edmonton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I have been a long, satisfied and loyal customer to the Wingate Calgary and long standing Wyndam Rewards Member. But I was extremely disappointed and frustrated with the service I received from Wingate Calgary when my team travelled to Calgary on 11/19/2013 for business. We booked six rooms weeks in advance and when we checked in after a long travel day at 8:00pm, we were told that there wer only have three rooms for us. No one called us to let’s know but instead the customer representative booked the three rooms in a sister hotel that is 20mins North of the Wingate. Our group had business meetings across from the Wingate the next morning, this made for major inconvenience especially when taxis availability was so poor. The team that stayed at the Travel Lodge ended up being over an hour late for their meetings the next morning. The worst part of this was the party that stayed at the Travel Lodge was charged the full price for all this inconvenience. After this less than satisfactory experience my team and I will no longer stay at the Wingate for business or personal trips in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

2 Thank Steven D
Robin A, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Thank you Steven D for your feedback. I would like to apologize for your less than satisfactory experience with our hotel. It is never our intention to have our guests stay in alternate properties unless totally unavoidable. I would like the opportunity to host you and your team again for you to experience the same great service that you have in the past. Should you wish to visit our hotel again, please feel free to contact me directly.
Banff National Park, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

When we first walked into the hotel I was impressed on how it looked. I went to the front desk and asked how much was a room and she responded "the rate for you is $169.00. As it was getting around 9pm I decided to just get a room.
Our room was cold, the thermostat was turned to 16 and blowing cold air. As outside was -10C it was colder than I was expecting. I found the bed to be nice in certain areas but it was obvious where the majority of people sleep and thus I had a hard time sleeping. After getting to sleep we were woke up at 5am by people running water above or beside us. It was loud. Then we heard people walking around the room and making noise. I do not blame the people as they were just trying to get ready for the day and did not realize the walls are thin. After finally giving up on sleep I tried to take a shower and their is not much water pressure. The water did get hot but you had to move around to make sure all the soap was washed off. The other problem with the tub/shower was the bottom of the tub is not flat. While trying to shower your feet pointing to the front are on inclines. It felt like the tub sloped down to the middle. very hard to stand like this..My wife pointed out the water from the sink faucet when turned on would hit the counter at the back of the sink unless you turned the water on full. If you did this it would miss the counter by about a inch. I could go on about the room but I am sure you get the idea..When checking out I tried to talk to the lady downstairs and she just informed me the manager was not in but she said " I guess I could give you a small discount". I was not looking for a discount nor did I ask for one..I wanted someone to know and listen they have a problem..
When I pay $169.00 plus taxes I would like a room to meet those expectations. If not I would pay a cheaper amount and go to Super8 where I would not expect much..

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nighthawk137
Thank you nighthawk137 for sharing your concerns about our property. I am sorry that you did not receive the value that you had expected. I have addressed your concerns with our team and we are proactively looking for solutions. I would welcome any further feedback that you wish to provide by contacting me directly as we strive to provide top notch service and a top notch product.
Winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

I have found my go-to hotel in South Calgary. Although in an industrial-park area, it is only a few minute drive to shops and restaurants. I had the hot tub suite, which was spacious and sparkling clean. I was THRILLED with the bed, very soft yet supportive. Breakfast is better than average, with some hot foods as well as regular continental choices.

I will definately stay again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ilovelowly
Robin A, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Thank you Ilovelowly for taking the time to write about your experience in our hotel. I am glad to see some feedback on our beds as we have just completed changing all of our beds to this new product. We are encouraged by the feedback on our breakfast as we are always looking for new ideas and products to ensure a healthy choice with lots of variety. I look forward to being your hotel of choice when travelling in Calgary.
Moose Jaw
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

The Wingate-Calgary is a first rate hotel. Great staff. Hotel is squeaky clean throughout. Rooms are large and comfortable.The complementary breakfast is far beyond your typical "continental breakfast". Can't say enough about this place.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

1 Thank William M
Thank you William M for your comments on your recent stay. I am always happy to see such great comments about all areas of our hotel. It is comments such as yours that help us to confirm the dedication from each of our team members to delivering an exceptional guest stay. I look forward to being of service to you on your next trip to our area.