“Definitely a solid hotel for business travellers” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South

Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South
Ranked #44 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Definitely a solid hotel for business travellers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2008

Hadassah28's Jun 2008 review “It's the little touches that make this property a real find!” is one of the most complete I've read. I stayed one night in Sept; I'll add my 2 cents.

You really do need to have the hotel's instructions on how to get to hotel! A minor point, but this hotel's slightly modified name is Wingate by Wyndham; previously it was simply Wingate Inn.

I also had a 2room suite as a free upgrade. No full-size dining table, just a small 4 seater. A few stains on chairs and rug, but otherwise good housekeeping.

The closet had a key-controlled safe. There were trilights in some light fixtures.

Use your room access card for both the fitness room door and pool/whirlpool door (6 am to 10 pm). The hotel gym, besides a treadmill, eliptical trainer, and freeweights, has a stationary bike, ball, 2 weight stations, flat panel tv, fan, clock, but nothing to clean the equipment. Both this room and the pool had lots of towels.

The pool was too cool a tempature to really enjoy, and it's too small to do lengths. The whirlpool next to it was also too cool. There's changerooms in the pool area, but only one shower (which is along the wall next to the waterslide). I suspect the waterslide gets limited use; this hotel's target is businesspeople, not families.

The free breakfast is similar to Holiday Inn Express including a few hot items, but has make-your-own waffles instead of warm cinnamon rolls .

Hallways are spacious. Ice machines and $1.50 canned pop machines are next to the elevator on floors 2, 3, 4. Avis is next to the main floor elevator.

I used the free highspeed on one of the 2 computers in the 24 hr Business Ctr. The room had a few more supplies than typical.

The coin laundry had 2 washers, 2 dryers, and soap and dryer sheets for sale in a vending machine there. Posted are the washer and dryer cycle times.

• Liked — quiet & comfortable
  • Disliked — in the far south end of Calgary
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank ABtraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Edmonton, Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2008

A large two-room suite, a full-size dining table, two TVs (with great reception), a microwave, a refrigerator, coffe maker with Wolfgang Puck coffee pods, comfortable beds, climate controls (that are a cinch to use), and illuminated light switches, not to mention an outstanding front desk staff, all make the Wingate Inn in Calgary a wonderful choice for business or leisure travel.

We travel a great deal and have stayed at everything from holes-in-the-wall to palatial suites. The Wingate Inn falls somewhere in the upper 75%.

The hotel is a little hard to get to, especially if you are traveling the Deerfoot Trail in rush hour (hint: if at all possible avoid this major Calgary roadway between 4 and 6 PM or expect to crawl along, and I mean, CRAWL.)

The Inn is tucked out of the way at the southern end of Calgary, but it is not inconvenient. The Somerset LRT (light rapid transit) is nearby, as are many major grocery stores, restaurants, and even a movie theater - they are all just across the street. (Hint: Get a tiny map from the front desk - or you won't know how to get across the very busy Macleod Trail as it is fenced all the way down for several blocks.)

Speaking of the front desk, you won't find nicer more helpful people. Claire was on when we were there; she should give lessons on how to be of service to hotel guests.

The hotel has a small gym with treadmill, eliptical trainer, and weights. The pool area has a moderate sized pool, whirlpool, and a big curly waterslide. Pool and gym hours are 6 AM to 10 PM.

Breakfast ("expanded continental") is FREE! There's not much you get free anymore these days. It's served in a roomy breakfast area, just off the front lobby, from 6-10 AM weekdays, and 7-11 AM on weekends.

Just a few steps away from the hotel is the Darby Arms. Go here for a quick bite or a pint of ale. Again, very friendly service, and the apple crumble is tasty.

For a full restaurant meal, you must go across the street where you'll find a huge array of all the popular restaurants.

If you are traveling to downtown, be sure to leave yourself plenty of time because Macleod Trail is very busy in the morning. Locals advised we leave at least 1 1/2 hours before we needed to be at our destination.

The Wingate is only 7 years old and still has a fresh new feel. Everything including common areas and hallways are very clean and designed for comfort.

Internet is a breeze - link up in your room FREE of charge or use the Business Centre (it has 2 stations).

There is even a guest laundry with complimentary laundry soap and dryer sheets.

An AVIS rental car agency is also just off the lobby.

This is an extremely good choice for both the leisure traveler or the business person. You will find this home-away-from-home both relaxing and comfortable.

If traveling from the North, remember the Wingate Inn is located way at the southern end of the city. But the price is right, and the room is worth the trip. Just don't travel the Deerfoot in rush hour.

• Liked — Very clean, great amenities, large suite, awesome front desk staff!
  • Disliked — Location and proximity to downtown.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Hadassah28
Ontario's Near North, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2007

First of all we were staying here for a Hotel General Manager Conference that was located in the hotel banquets. My husband is a hotel manager who attended this meeting. Our problems started with check in. We arrived a half hour early and our room was not ready but that was ok because there was no luggage carts anywheres in sight either. We ended up going across the lot for a bite to eat and returned about an hour later to find that no luggage carts were available still. My husband and I had a lot of luggage to bring in so we went and looked on every floor ourselves to see if we could find one and still came up with nothing, so we just brought the luggage up, taking a couple trips. I had made reservations for a smoking room a week in advance for my husbands benifit and to our surprise when we got up to our room it was non-smoking. Well that was the least of our problems. The room hadn't even been cleaned. The beds were a mess and there was garbage all over. The front desk staff was busy speaking with the house keepers when we went to inform them but came around after about 5-7 minutes and let us know that they had saw us standing there. Shouldn't that be done with in the first minute? When we finally get checked into our proper room we turned on the t.v. and laid back on to the bed to relax. I love extra pillows so got up and grabbed the two off the other bed in the room but really wish I hadn't. When I lifed the pillows there was an unreasonable amount of hair on the bed. There is no way that while making the bed the staff could not notice. It would have been impossable unless they were blind. I have 6 animals at home and when I wash my sheets they still never come out with that much hair. I was so grossed out I got ready for dinner and had to get out of there until things were cleaned up. When we came back from dinner, the housekeepers had been up and the bed was made up so they had to have done something, BUT THEY DID THE WRONG BED! Also they knew I was grossed out so they changed the sheets but did not change the pillow cases. I know this because when i laid down to start with, a bit of foundation rubbed off on the pillow. What if this had been the dirty bed? Should they not have changed the whole bed just to be sanitary? I was done for the day anyways. As much as I was grossed out I was soooo tired and sick I just wanted to go to bed in the clean bed and deal with it in the morning. Well morning came and I got up to have a shower. I closed the curtain and almost vomited. There was brown splases all over the curtain and up smeared on the ceiling. Gross! It was so filfy that I didn't feel clean when i got out. I called the front desk and asked if they had extra curtains because I would've just changed it myself but the said they didn't but that they would send the head housekeeper up to get it and wash it. Well by mid afternoon still no one had come up so I went down to the front desk and mentioned that something needed to be done so they sent housekeeping up, with a new curtain, ( wait didnt they say they didn't have extra's? OF COURSE THAT"S WHAT THEY SAID!) and I got housekeeping to take out the dirty bed sheets as well. I have another four nights here so I hope nothing else happens in that time. I tried to book another hotel today for the rest of the week but Calgary is busy! There is nothing available. So like my title says, the only difference between here and a campground is that Im paying $159.00 a night instead of $20. Oh wait a minute.... they have a pool and water slide here and not every campground has that. Too bad its closed for renovations and no one mentioned that when I booked out stay. I even think a campground would be more sanitary. So please, whatever you do, be careful where you stay. You shouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg to stay at a place where your wondering what your going to take with you when you leave.

• Liked — Nothing has pleased me. I have nothing even half decient to say. :(
  • Disliked — The price of poor quality and unsanitary conditions.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank Shenanigan101
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2007

I was the traveler below that had to leave the Wingate during my first stay. The staff were fantastic and gave me a gift certificate, so I thought I would try it again. It was AMAZING! A beautiful room, jacuzzi suite, small kitchenette, and a gift basket on the bed loaded with treats. Staff were again very friendly and helpful. The breakfast in the morning was fabulous, including Belgian waffles, fruits, toast, bagels, yogurt, juices...

Needless to say, I did not have to leave and am glad I gave it another try. I will definitely stay again - that is a great hotel.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
Worksop
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2007

Stayed on the 4th floor in a Kingsized room, (the receptionist gave me a choice of floors which was fabulous, i asked for the quietest which was floor4) Check in a pleasurable experience.

The room was spacious and very luxurious, cable TV and internet TV, although Internet TV wasnt that great @$9.95, very slow and hard to navigate around without a mouse. Although if you had a laptop you could get FREE wireless internet to your room. Microwave, Iron and ironing board also Coffee maker and large wardrobe space.

Bathroom (shower+bath) was really nice and clean, shampoo, conditioner, and body moisturiser supplied, along with hairdryer.

Complimentary breakfast, with varied choices, cereal, toast, waffles, bacon,eggs, soft drinks, coffee, etc,etc. Complimentary newspaper every morning at your door.

Free parking.

Has a ''traditional english pub'' opposite the Hotel which is nice to visit.

House keeping was efficient, they cleaned my room even when i left late around midday.

I have stayed in a lot of hotels, and this was probably one of the most pleasant i have stayed at, staff were very curteous, hotel was generally very quiet with no road noise outside.

• Liked — Complimentary breakfast, and the general cleanliness of the hotel was fabulous, great staff.
  • Disliked — Internet TV was slow and hard to navigate.
  • Tips/Secrets — Has a pool and water slide
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled solo
1 Thank tdawber
Saskatchewan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2006

I feel it is my duty to inform everyone that reads this site of the stay my family and I had at the Wingate Inn in Calgary on the 9th and 10th of November 2006.

We traveled 9 hours to attend a wedding in Okotoks Alberta on the 10th. We wanted to stay in Okotoks, but there was no hotel that we found that had a water slide for the children to enjoy. We then found the Wingate and thought it would be a good place to stay because it had a waterslide, and was also very close to the south end of Calgary.

After we checked in on the 9th, the children wanted to go water sliding, but we were informed by front desk that the waterslides were not in operation, and they would not be for our entire stay.

On Friday night (the 10th) I wanted to use the in room internet service because I do business online. I called the front desk to order it, and was told that the internet service was unavailable.

On the morning of the 11th I was woken early by some misguided individual yelling very loudly in the room above us.

Those things were bad enough to make the stay less then pleasurable, but the real problem came when I ripped the bottom of my foot on a very sharp object sticking out of the carpet when leaving the bathroom in our room. The carpet was somewhat frayed, and the piece of steal that lies under the carpet to hold it down was exposed with several very sharp little spikes sticking out of the carpet. I ripped the bottom of my foot opened and it was bleeding.

All of the above is true. I read the warning about fake reviews. This is nothing but the truth. I showed the steal object problem to the manager on duty and he said they will have to get maintenance to fix the problem.

After all this, I would not recommend the Wingate Inn to anyone, for any reason. It was terrible at best.

• Liked — Not much
  • Disliked — The piece of steal sticking out of the carpet in our room that ripped my foot open
  • Tips/Secrets — I strongly suggest you never stay at the Wingate Inn in Calgary
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank Mr.Benes
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2006

I travel to Calgary twice a month from Edmonton for business and have stayed and many hotels over the past 2 years. The Wingate is now my #1 choice.

Access off Macleod Trail is not that bad just do a map search.

I was in a standard King room. Very very clean, large, great lighting and stocked with a mini fridge, coffee maker and microwave.

The front desk staff are very helpful. When I asked if they knew of any restaurants that deliver to the hotel they handed me a bundle of menues. The hotel also offers an express check out.

The full business center is a bonus.

• Stayed March 2006, travelled on business