“A fine hotel in this category”

Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South
Ranked #33 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for five nights because I attended an event at the hotel. The front desk staff were courteous and efficient. Our room, with a king, was spacious and clean. The bathroom was also clean and the shower had a curved curtain rod for more space. The complimentary breakfast food had an average selection of decent quality. The breakfast area was not small, but it could get crowded. The hotel is within walking distance of a mall, but the walk involves crossing busy highways; using a car is simpler.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Robin A, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you mtrodgers99 for your kind words. I am glad to see that our property met all of your needs during your stay. We are proud of both our team and our product and work very hard to ensure we are updating and improving regularily. I look forward to being of service to you on your next visit to our area.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

The hotel is in a fairly poor location if you want to do anything in the downtown area. Macleod Trail is a huge pain in the butt and the drive is easily an hour round trip. The hotel itself is weird to get to, having to take a road through a community. That being said, being on a main route is nice as it makes navigation easier.

My check-in experience was decidedly below average. The front desk attendant, Ronaldo, was not very pleasant and did not make us feel welcome; in fact, quite the opposite. If we hadn't been there for a wedding, we would have left. Thankfully, that was the last we'd see of Ronaldo for the weekend.

The hotel is very clean and the room was no exception. My only gripe was with the paper cups, it's just kind of cheap. The room had nice high ceilings and a huge comfy bed with infinite pillows. The thermostat wouldn't let you go below 18 or above 24 which was annoying and although the a/c was working, the room never stayed comfortably cool (despite the lack of sunshine). The hallway heaters were pumping full throttle all the time which meant that it was significantly warmer near the door than by the bed so the system was always running.

The continental breakfast was nice, though heavy on the carbs. All toast, cereal, and waffles. Some fruit and make your own breakfast sandwiches. Honestly, it was much better than anticipated. The cheese scone/biscuit things were awesome.

The regular rate was pretty good but we got a group discount, making the hotel very attractive rate-wise. Though value is more than just the lowest price and on that count, this hotel wasn't in the big leagues.

I thought it was a perfectly serviceable hotel and definitely better than most chain brands. If Ronaldo at the front desk hadn't been so unpleasant, my overall impression might have been better. I can't say I'd ever stay here again (I like luxury hotels) though I would recommend it to anyone needing a place on the south end as it is pretty nice and the price is right, just avoid Ronaldo...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank TotallyMyRealName

Thank you TotallyMyRealName for taking the time to write such an extensive review on our property. We can take a lot back to the team for discussion. I am sorry that you found your check in to be less than satisfactory, however, I am pleased to hear that the balance of your stay was good. Although we are not a luxury hotel, it is our goal to provide service and product that goes above and beyond.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed there for the whole month during my assignment in Calgary due to work and it is a great option to stay in Calgary. The staff is very friendly, the hotel is in great conditions and stayed 2 different rooms (1 King and 1 with 2 queens) and is really good. The beds, pillows and duvet are very comfortable, the air conditioner system is not noisy, the room has a Flat Screen TV with a good selection of channels, the wifi is very fast and the washroom was is great conditions every day. Is on the south of the city so it is a little far from downtown but there is a Train station close to the hotel. I definitely would stay there again.

Room Tip: High floor rooms are better, my room on the main floor had a projector light from the outside that s...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Robin A, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you jaimeborjas for your kind words. It is important to us to ensure each guest has a memorable experience and has all of the comforts of home. Thank you for your feed back on our lighting- we are in the final stages of our install and feedback like this ensures that we address all of our guest concerns. I look forward to being of service to you on your next assignment in our area.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Cleanest hotel EVER. Room was beautiful, pool area was great. Breakfast was very good. Our only issue was that the beds were very, very soft. I am ill, and woke up very sore each morning. Front desk staff offered another room, but the beds are all the same. If I could have found a decent sleep, would have been perfect review.

Room Tip: The suites are worth every penny - very nicely laid out.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Robin A, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you very much Shannon W for taking the time to post your comments. I appreciate the feedback on our beds. We have recently replaced them all so comments like this are welcomed. I am glad that you enjoyed the other aspects of our property such as our breakfast and pool area. We are very proud of our housekeeping team and I have passed along your positive feedback to them. I look forward to being able to be of service to you again.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Great place, very clean and service at the front desk was exceptional! Decided to check in for the night being all the out of town guest were staying there. Breakfast buffet was way more than I expected. Great pool and slide for the kids. Definately recommend for families.

Room Tip: Top floor less noise from above
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you Oneshort for your great comments. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the family was able to experience our pool and waterslide area. We like to cater to all types of travellers and comments such as yours let us know that we are working in the right direction. I hope to host your next reunion and look forward to becoming your familiy's hotel of choice.