“Great food”

The British Chippy
Ranked #454 of 3,709 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: British
Neighbourhood: Southwest Calgary
Description: Traditional British Style Fish & Chips using our Grandmother’s recipes and Organic Potatoes, Wild Caught Fish and Non GMO Oil. Licensed Restaurant or Take Out Summer Patio at the Okotoks location
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Fish and real chips not dripping in oil is indeed a treat. The fries are wonderful with a nice sprinkling of real cider vinegar. The fish fresh and crisp. The restaurant is not an open bar atmosphere so if you're looking to pick up more than a chip this is the wrong place, but if looking for good food that you know is good for your health, check this place out.

1  Thank Sharon R

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Went looking for THE BEST fish and chips in Calgary, and this place came up. In my husband's and my view, the food was just ok. The fish was fresh tasting and the batter not to heavy, but it is one piece of fish with a huge amount of fries for $13.95. I love the fact the fries are home made but they were not cooked to golden at all, leaving them soggy. I ordered a side of gravy for $2.75 and it was thin tasteless and small (tasted like it was made from gravy mix). My husband ordered the mushy peas for $2.75, again small for the price but he enjoyed them with salt and pepper.

We had a beer each at $7.95.

The overall cost of our lunch was $49.67 not including tip in a café/take-out style restaurant. People picking up orders and the radio station a bit on the loud side. Clean, but not much for atmosphere. I would rather spend that kind of money in a nice pub.

The best part of lunch was the waitress! She was awesome!

Overall, we wouldn't recommend it though.

2  Thank jazzy2you
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Nothing has changed with this place. Horrible service. Rude, long waits, food sub par. I'm giving up. Tried to give it ANOTHER chance. Never again.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife and I tried the haddock and chips at lunchtime. The fish was cooked precisely with a very nice crust. However, the fish does lack the taste of freshness as it is flash frozen. The fries were hand cut, but were on the greasy side. Service was excellent and the waitress seemed genuinely interested in our comments. We found fresh fish and chips available downtown at Oceana, I would suggest you give them a try.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stopped in last night at 730, they close at 8PM. Both my wife and I ordered the one peice Haddock and the meal was excellent and quick. You knew this came right from the fryer as it was steaming hot. Just right! Fries are real fresh potatoes not previously frozen. Fish tender and flaky not dried out. Will be trying the new Okotoks location soon as its close to home.