“comfort food”

Neighbourhood: Downtown
Calgary
“comfort food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

We were looking for a quick bite one day after shopping in the area and a co-worker had told me about this place. It fit the bill as is located in a strip mall near the movie theatre (easy parking) and included foods that appealed to the meat eater (him) and the veggie eater (me). We have been back many times as the food hits the spot The food is good - it tastes fresh and the service is always great . They have let us substitute items of similar value (odd to me that this can be a big deal in some places) as I like more falafel and he likes more grape leaves. Portions are large and we take our twenty something sons, when in town for a break from their studies , and need some good food and plenty of it for a reasonable price (the chicken)

• Visited October 2013

Calgary, Canada
“Excellent chicken shawarma”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

I don't know if it was because I just came out of the gym or what but there was a very pleasant smell in the mall. After looking for the source, I find this place and I asked what was he cooking. He said the chicken and I immediately replied that I have to have it. It was very, very good.

Another time, a saturday in the early afternoon, I took my wife to try it out but it wasn't as sock-blowing as before. The lettuce looked old and it just wasn't as good as the other day. I want to think it was because the first time I had it everything was fresh since it was early in the morning. Will give it another shot some day.

• Visited February 2013
Calgary, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, shame the cleaner was on holiday”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

The first impression on arriving at Babylon Qithara in the NE was very disappointing. I almost turned and left.
The décor is poor and unwelcoming and looked very 'grubby'.
Despite this, I sat and mistakenly tried to move my seat which was sticky with something unpleasant that necessitated me washing my hands immediately.
We were promptly given sticky menus and I chose not to put my forearms on the table.
I chose the special, arranged in 'point-point' style and decided on two dishes with rice. All of the meals presented looked fresh and appealing.
The food came in good time and was delicious. The portion was decent and the rice was properly cooked. The potato and chick pea dishes tasted excellent and I cleared my plate.
The food was so good I will consider going again but just running around with a cloth and hot soapy water would do wonders for this establishment.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Neil B
Vancouver
“Excellent food, great experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

We had a wonderful family supper at Babylon. We all ordered the kebabs platters and my husband, who is a vegetarian, had falaffel. It was all excellent! The service was great and the food was plentiful and fresh. I would definitely go back to Babylon!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Martfield
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst service I've ever experienced!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

I had a bite of the food and it tasted awful so I asked if I could order something else and they said that I have to pay for both. And the were very rude about it!

• Visited April 2013