“Won't come back”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Calgary
Mountain View Camping
San Diego
“Won't come back”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This was the only RV Park we could find on short notice, and there's a reason for it. Many people living there in their trailers, and it was simply just a bit creepy. Breaker kept blowing (30 amp max), but the young man that worked there was very responsive. This could be a nice park with a major facelift and a bit of TLC.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello,

Thanks for your review. You are right, we do have some long-term customers. Many are Canadians who live elsewhere but come to Alberta for work, and send their hard-earned paychecks home to their families. I'm not sure what's creepy about that, and wonder what your suggestions for improvement with this would be. We already have a maximum stay of 120 days, which I suppose that we could reduce. Otherwise I think the only thing we could enforce would be a requirement that our guests be here for recreational purposes only. Being that we host many customers for many reasons over and above vacation, I do not see that as fair or feasible. We host those who are from out-of-town and have family members staying in Calgary hospitals who prefer not to stay in hotels (many have small pets or children who are better suited to a campground atmosphere), but need to be near their ailing family while they receive treatment, many who come to Calgary for work conferences or short work courses (the local career colleges offer 4 and 6 week courses), locals who've sold their home and are awaiting possession of their new one, and as I mentioned, those who work in the Calgary area but do not have a permanent address here. I'm not about to begin turning those people away.

We do have 50 amp sites, but it is entirely possible that they were all booked out during your stay - they do go fast and are usually booked in advance.

The young man that you referred to is my husband, and I agree that he is very responsive. He works very hard on a daily basis to provide great customer service and keep the campground well-maintained. This season he has also devoted large amounts of time to converting our old tenting section into new, larger, 50 and 30-amp fully serviced sites with mature trees. We also have many other improvement plans as we work towards the "major facelift" you mentioned. We inherited a share in the business last fall from his still-hardworking grandparents who are in their 80's, and right away began to address some of the basic changes that were borne out of the increase in size of the average RV since 1987, when we were built. All things come with time.

I sincerely apologize for your negative experience here at Mountain View, but appreciate your constructive criticisms so that we can work towards constant improvement.

Have a wonderful summer,

Cara

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Allover
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Small spaces , no parking, firepit is useless and full of cigarette butts and a couple diapers. Neighbouring sites enjoy stepping around your toilet hose and you'll need over 20 feet of itand if your neighbour has slides you can't use one side of picnic table. Other than high prices the staff is very friendly

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Nuzz42o
West Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed here at the end of May 2014 for 1 week. The staff was very friendly and Chris
the manager helpful.Would stay there again and recommend it to anyone who wants to be
close to Calgary. The RV sides are fair size,nice and clean .
It is located close to the Trans-Canada Hwy. and some noise from the traffic should be
expected.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Guenter P
Hello Guenter,

Thanks for taking the time to review Mountain View Camping! We sincerely appreciate when our guests who enjoyed their stay let us know what we are doing right. I'm glad that you took advantage of our close proximity to Calgary and enjoyed some of the great things it has to offer.

We hope to host you again soon,

Greenwood, Arkansas
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I was traveling with a group and we stayed for 3 nights. The best thing about this campground is the location. It's on the east side of Calgary, very convenient to downtown and easy to get to. The worst thing about this campground is the size of the individual sites. Almost as bad was the garbage - more about that shortly.

Very, very small sites and very tight roads to maneuver. To make matters worse, a good portion of the campers seem to be fulltime oil field workers and their families. Nice people but makes for a very crowded park. We had to ask neighbor across the street to move his truck - twice! - so that our rigs could get into our sites. Then we had to ask others to move trucks so that we could exit the park. (Most fulltimers seem to have two vehicles at each site.) Also, each site we used had small trees - a nice touch but due to the very small lot size, some of our larger rigs could not open slides without the owner pruning trees limbs - thank you for that.

We paid $47 per night, including taxes, for 30 amp service. No cable but there is Wi-Fi for a fee of $5 per day or $15 for a week. But it's not unlimited, not even the weekly rate. We are on a 5 month trip from the states to Alaska and this campground is the most expensive - by far - that we have used. With the fewest amenities for the price. We stayed at an Edmonton area campground with a golf course for half what we paid to this place. Even Alaska campground are cheaper.

Now, about the garbage. There are not sufficient dumpsters for the amount of campers. When we arrived, most were full or almost full. By the time we left, they overflowed with garbage ... on top and on the ground. In all, not a pleasant stay. I would only recommend for overnight and then move on.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank GreenwoodRod
Hello,

Thanks for your review. We are in the midst of working towards changing some of the sections of the park around to accommodate the sizes of today's RV's - which are much larger than they were 27 years ago when we were built. We've added a new 50-amp and 30-amp section to the park, with wider, longer sites. We are also going to be converting several of our back-to-back sites into pull-through spaces in the fall, which will help to widen some of the roadways. These are growing pains that we have been experiencing for the past couple of years that take time to rectify

We do have some longer-term guests who work in the area and stay with us a couple of months in the summer time. Regardless of the length of stay, we do require that each site only have one vehicle parked at it at a time. Enforcing this rule is a full time job alone, since many of our customers feel that they should somehow be exempted from this requirement. We have recently implemented a fine system, charging $5 per day, per vehicle that they have in addition to the one permitted. We are hoping that this will help to reduce the congestion.

As for the trees - I have several customers who complain that there aren't enough trees, and some who aren't happy with the ones we do have. We try to please as many as 800 customers and their individual needs at any one time, so I'm sure you can imagine that it is a bit of a juggling act! Short of cutting down the tree, trimming it was our best option. Alternatively, we would have moved you to another site, but can only do so if there is one available. I do apologize for this - the consistently changing nature of our business causes situations such as these.

There is no physical cable service provided to us here, outside the city of Calgary, so it is not possible to offer such a service. You can, however receive 6 local channels if you've got a digital TV. Also, as of July 5th, 2014 there is no longer a charge for Wi-Fi, it is now a free service. The camping rates are competitive for the area - the other campgrounds around Calgary all charge near or above what we do.

Regarding the garbage. Our service provider will only offer removal service of our six dumpsters once per week, every Tuesday. Most weeks this is sufficient for us. Long weekends have sometimes proven difficult, as the holiday pushes our pickup date to Wednesday. That, paired with the fact that we have higher capacity over the long weekends can mean higher waste volumes. Over these weekends we have been filling our own trailer and hauling it to the landfill in an attempt to alleviate the higher quantities of waste. I apologize that this didn't occur during your stay.

I hope that you have a wonderful rest of the summer!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I have stayed in this campground twice now. Last year Chris, one of the employees, took me to the train and back so that I could visit downtown Calgary. I'm too cowardly to drive an RV in Calgary! He also worked for a good hour repairing a ding I got in my windshield. This year Chris again took me to the train and back. The campground people were concerned that I found it easy to park in my site, too. I STINK at parking! I am a 71-year-old lady who travels alone. It is important for me to stay in safe places. I have stayed in other campgrounds around Calgary, but none of them pleases me more than this one. The people are all friendly, kind and helpful. I really appreciate being able to stay here. I might also add that it's an easy campground to find! Despite the address, it's right on the Trans Canada with a big sign!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Hello Janet!

We were so very happy to see you again this year! We are honored to have you stay with us when you are in the area, and are always impressed with your independence. We hope to see you again in 2015!

Have a wonderful day!

Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We have stayed at this park in the summer as well as the winter.The people who work and live here are so friendly and helpful.Always there when needed. I was on crutches this summer and couldn't walk back to my site. Chris came along and drove me back to my site.Whenever the office was closed Chris all you have to do is call Chris and he is there to get you propane or whatever you need.The facilities are always clean in the summer or the winter and there is plenty of hot water for a shower.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Hi Pam!

Thanks for a great review! We try our best every single day here at Mountain View, so its nice to hear that for some, it's working! You guys are great to have around - we appreciate your business.
Tavistock, Canada
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Cara Chris Minnie Henry and staff From the time we drove in to your campground you and your staff showed us nothing but great hospitality. Everyone was willing to help with any thing we needed. The fire pit that Chris built was great for everyone to sit around in the evenings. We where also part of the Bender group of 16 . We stayed for 8 days and enjoyed every minute as well as the BBQ at nite and breakfast in mornings while stampede was on. We would recommend this campground going to Calgary.

Terry

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Terry C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calgary
Beltline
Hotel Elan
Hotel Elan
#2 of 109 in Calgary
Lakeview Signature Inn Calgary Airport
Best Western Premier Freeport Inn & Suites
Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre

Been to Mountain View Camping? Share your experiences!