“Quick to get to Calgary”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Calgary
Mountain View Camping
Canada
“Quick to get to Calgary”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We were in desperate need of a camping site near Calgary, would you believe we found very few places online. Note to others, do your research prior to heading out on a road trip and find your campgrounds along the way, as we were in the middle of Calgary traffic trying to find a campground near Calgary and ended up driving all the way around the South to East end. The staff here were very friendly and although we only spent one night, we found the facilities to be clean and well taken care of. 'Mountain view'? Not sure about that. LOL Wish there were more trees around though.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JCole07
Cara B, Owner at Mountain View Camping, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to let us know how your stay with us was! There is certainly a shortage of campgrounds in the Calgary area, and none right inside the city. Because of this shortage it certainly pays off to plan ahead. I'm pleased, though not surprised, to hear that our staff was friendly and accommodating.

Regarding the name "Mountain View" - it is misleading, but was named 27 years ago and is immensely difficult to have changed. It is a problem that plagues us regularly, as customers expect something different when they arrive here. We are and RV PARK in the prairies. Along the western skyline you can see the Rocky Mountains, but the topography of our area is surprising to many. We too wish there were more trees! We plant at least 50 or 60 each year - some years adding as many as 150, but lose many because of soil issues. It is a consistent struggle for us that requires a large amount of resources.

We are glad your stay with us was pleasant, and hope to host you again in the future!

Cara

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Calgary
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We went here at mountain view campground to camp with our whole family for weekend, they have not bad of a place BUT during our stay group of people that is camping there right behind us are smoking marijuana right in the open and all of us smelt it and its not good because we have kids with us. Now we are confused, is this a campgroun or smoking joint session place? We will never go back in there.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Cara B, Owner at Mountain View Camping, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Hello Lorraine,

Thanks for your review - I only wish you'd have said something while the problem was occurring. We have a ZERO TOLERANCE policy regarding illegal drug usage in all public areas of the park. We don't even permit open alcohol consumption in the public areas - we have numerous families and small children around the park at any given time, and feel strongly about which types of behavior are appropriate here. If you had let someone at the park office know, the offending individuals would have been evicted from the campground immediately. It is very unfortunate that some people choose to completely disregard the feelings of others, and I sincerely wish that your stay with us hadn't gone this way - it is very upsetting to us that the disrespectful actions of others has cast our business in a negative light. We work very hard here at Mountain View to provide a fun, safe atmosphere for all of our guests and it's frustrating to know that, despite our hard work, we had customers leave here unhappy because of a situation we were not advised about and that wasn't caused by us.

I sincerely apologize for your experience here - it is intolerable, unfair, and inexcusable. In the future, regardless of where you are, please report this type of behavior so that it can be handled as it should be.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Spent three nights here simply out of desperation. Read several reviews so pretty much knew what to expect but due to the long weekend we had to bite the bullet. I guess based on the fact that they were the ONLY campground available and the fact that they had SEVERAL sites available, we should have known exactly what we were going to get.

We found that $55/night + tax for a 15 amp campsite to be EXTREMELY expensive. The campground isn't too far out of the city, so that could be why but it definitely is not a nice campground. The sites are ridiculously small, we literally had 4 feet absolute max between us and our neighbour. There was garbage all over the site and about 50 cigarette butts in the fire pit. Absolutely 0 appeal here.

There were two blonde women working at the front desk when we arrived. One with a European accent, one Canadian. They were both unbelievably rude!!! Our whole group just couldn't believe how despicable the service was. The Canadian one got very irate when we asked about campsite locations. We had requested to be as close to the washrooms as possible and felt as though we were asking her to move mountains. the one with the European accent accused of us stealing when we took *1* coffee cream and *1* sugar back to the campsite as we weren't sure how many were wanted by our family member at our site. She literally called out, loudly, in the office in front of other patrons "whoa, whoa, what are you doing?" We explained what it was for and she waved her hand at us. Thankfully, there was another pleasant woman there this time, who had to apologize on the other one's behalf.

We did meet the owners and they seemed to be very pleasant. It's such a shame they have such poor staff representing them. Your staff is the face of your business and in this case gives the business a very bad look.

And now, to add insult to injury, we woke up to vomit all over our campsite this morning from the group of kids on the site next to us. We had asked the office to send someone down to clean it up. The young guy arrives here with an attitude accusing us of lying and requesting that they clean up OUR puke. I offered invoices and all the proof he'd like to prove that we did NOT eat noodles as that was what was in the vomit. He refused to look at anything and just kept up his bad attitude. The one credit I do give him is that he was willing to listen when I explained how hurtful the treatment here has been.

All in all, this is a disgusting campground. Small and dirty. And more than anything, we were treated horribly. I've been on the road since June 25 and have stayed in numerous hotels and campgrounds. Some beautiful, some moderate and some that were pretty dingy. Never, have we been treated so poorly.

We will be passing through calgary on our way back home and there is absolutely NO WAY we would stay here again. Not even if it was free. We'd rather pay double and stay in a motel.

I hope this review will be looked at and understood. No paying guest(s) should ever feel the way that we do.

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Sklar0321
Cara B, Owner at Mountain View Camping, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thanks for your input. I do have several comments to address here, so let's get started:

- We, in fact were not the only campground available - I personally called the closest Calgary campground nearest to us to see if there was a spot for you when the difficulties with your group began shortly after your arrival. They had a site and told me to send you over. You were offered a full refund and the opportunity to go there. You refused.

- Stating that your stay was forced out of desperation is confusing to me, since you chose to stay, and in fact added additional nights after the fact, and that the other campgrounds had space.

- The rate for a 15 amp fully serviced site where you stayed is $44.00 per night INCLUDING TAX. This rate includes two adults and any children. Any additional persons over the age of 18 are an additional $5 including tax per night each. You had 4 adults in your group, resulting in the higher charge.

- The sites all measure 26 feet wide by 54 feet long. Being that you were staying in a tent trailer I find it strange that you could possibly only have 4 feet on either side of you, unless your tent trailer is 18 feet wide. This could potentially have something to do with the fact that you pulled your tent trailer by hand BACKWARDS into the site, resulting in your door opening onto the neighboring site. Claims that garbage and cigarette butts were around are also unfounded - we had several staff members at your site because of the problems you caused on your arrival who all separately testified that the site was cleaned before you arrived, as was stated on the daily maintenance sheet.

- I do apologize if you felt mis-treated by any of our staff members here. I'm also very surprised by this since, over and above anything else, this is the one aspect of our business that nearly ALWAYS garners us positive feedback. The ladies we have working in the office offer more than 50 combined years of tourism and customer service experience. They are great employees who I'm proud to have represent us. While I didn't introduce myself as an owner to you that day, when I served you your Wifi code and other items on your second day with us, I do feel certain that I can speak for the other owners when I say that we stand behind our staff and the great service they provide each and every day.

- The lady who asked you what you were putting into your pockets had seen your group looking at the key chains, jewelry and other souvenir items in the store near the coffee maker, and was surprised to then see items being pocketed. She simply questioned what those items were, and didn't pursue the issue once she clearly saw what it was. Anyone working in any retail environment would do the same.

- I would like to add a few points here also: as I mentioned, on your arrival you parked your unit backwards in your site, then when the neighbor arrived not long afterwards you told them they were in your site, which was not true. You demanded that we move the neighbor so that you could remain situated in the site as you like. I'm not sure why you assumed that we had several sites available since you have no access to our booking system, but moving that other customer to suit you was not feasible - we had no other space. This resulted in you getting more upset, at which point you were offered a full refund and the chance to leave.

- Regarding the vomit issue. Two hours prior to your complaint about the vomit, the neighbor who you caused problems with the evening before came to the office to say that they would be leaving early because of your groups behavior the evening before and into the night. I issued them a refund, and therefore lost the business of a repeat customer because of your actions. In addition, the neighbor stated that they heard someone at your site getting sick and making a mess out there. So, when you called to complain that the neighbors had caused the vomit mess on YOUR site (which is extremely confusing to me also - never in all my time doing this have I experienced someone going over to a stranger's site to get sick), there was some dispute as to the actual events that occurred.

- The "young guy" who arrived at your site to clean up "someone's" VOMIT is my husband, and the president of this business. Because of the conflicting stories between you and the neighbor, he was naturally frustrated and skeptical about who was telling the truth, not to mention disgusted that he needed to clean up puke - it may be surprising to you, but that has never happened to us here, as our customers generally have enough respect for themselves and others that vomiting in public just hasn't occurred here before. I don't know many people who would be pleasant and happy to clean up the vomit of a perfect stranger.

- Lastly, I think it is important that I mention that you posted this review on your second day here. After all of the "terrible" things that you claim happened to you here, you still paid for another night to stay with us. Given this, I'm surprised that you would say that you wouldn't ever stay here again, even if it was free, since you did so within hours of posting this.

I hope that you and your family enjoy the remainder of your trip through Canada.
San Diego
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This was the only RV Park we could find on short notice, and there's a reason for it. Many people living there in their trailers, and it was simply just a bit creepy. Breaker kept blowing (30 amp max), but the young man that worked there was very responsive. This could be a nice park with a major facelift and a bit of TLC.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello,

Thanks for your review. You are right, we do have some long-term customers. Many are Canadians who live elsewhere but come to Alberta for work, and send their hard-earned paychecks home to their families. I'm not sure what's creepy about that, and wonder what your suggestions for improvement with this would be. We already have a maximum stay of 120 days, which I suppose that we could reduce. Otherwise I think the only thing we could enforce would be a requirement that our guests be here for recreational purposes only. Being that we host many customers for many reasons over and above vacation, I do not see that as fair or feasible. We host those who are from out-of-town and have family members staying in Calgary hospitals who prefer not to stay in hotels (many have small pets or children who are better suited to a campground atmosphere), but need to be near their ailing family while they receive treatment, many who come to Calgary for work conferences or short work courses (the local career colleges offer 4 and 6 week courses), locals who've sold their home and are awaiting possession of their new one, and as I mentioned, those who work in the Calgary area but do not have a permanent address here. I'm not about to begin turning those people away.

We do have 50 amp sites, but it is entirely possible that they were all booked out during your stay - they do go fast and are usually booked in advance.

The young man that you referred to is my husband, and I agree that he is very responsive. He works very hard on a daily basis to provide great customer service and keep the campground well-maintained. This season he has also devoted large amounts of time to converting our old tenting section into new, larger, 50 and 30-amp fully serviced sites with mature trees. We also have many other improvement plans as we work towards the "major facelift" you mentioned. We inherited a share in the business last fall from his still-hardworking grandparents who are in their 80's, and right away began to address some of the basic changes that were borne out of the increase in size of the average RV since 1987, when we were built. All things come with time.

I sincerely apologize for your negative experience here at Mountain View, but appreciate your constructive criticisms so that we can work towards constant improvement.

Have a wonderful summer,

Allover
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Small spaces , no parking, firepit is useless and full of cigarette butts and a couple diapers. Neighbouring sites enjoy stepping around your toilet hose and you'll need over 20 feet of itand if your neighbour has slides you can't use one side of picnic table. Other than high prices the staff is very friendly

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Nuzz42o
West Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed here at the end of May 2014 for 1 week. The staff was very friendly and Chris
the manager helpful.Would stay there again and recommend it to anyone who wants to be
close to Calgary. The RV sides are fair size,nice and clean .
It is located close to the Trans-Canada Hwy. and some noise from the traffic should be
expected.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Guenter P
Hello Guenter,

Thanks for taking the time to review Mountain View Camping! We sincerely appreciate when our guests who enjoyed their stay let us know what we are doing right. I'm glad that you took advantage of our close proximity to Calgary and enjoyed some of the great things it has to offer.

We hope to host you again soon,

Greenwood, Arkansas
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I was traveling with a group and we stayed for 3 nights. The best thing about this campground is the location. It's on the east side of Calgary, very convenient to downtown and easy to get to. The worst thing about this campground is the size of the individual sites. Almost as bad was the garbage - more about that shortly.

Very, very small sites and very tight roads to maneuver. To make matters worse, a good portion of the campers seem to be fulltime oil field workers and their families. Nice people but makes for a very crowded park. We had to ask neighbor across the street to move his truck - twice! - so that our rigs could get into our sites. Then we had to ask others to move trucks so that we could exit the park. (Most fulltimers seem to have two vehicles at each site.) Also, each site we used had small trees - a nice touch but due to the very small lot size, some of our larger rigs could not open slides without the owner pruning trees limbs - thank you for that.

We paid $47 per night, including taxes, for 30 amp service. No cable but there is Wi-Fi for a fee of $5 per day or $15 for a week. But it's not unlimited, not even the weekly rate. We are on a 5 month trip from the states to Alaska and this campground is the most expensive - by far - that we have used. With the fewest amenities for the price. We stayed at an Edmonton area campground with a golf course for half what we paid to this place. Even Alaska campground are cheaper.

Now, about the garbage. There are not sufficient dumpsters for the amount of campers. When we arrived, most were full or almost full. By the time we left, they overflowed with garbage ... on top and on the ground. In all, not a pleasant stay. I would only recommend for overnight and then move on.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank GreenwoodRod
Hello,

Thanks for your review. We are in the midst of working towards changing some of the sections of the park around to accommodate the sizes of today's RV's - which are much larger than they were 27 years ago when we were built. We've added a new 50-amp and 30-amp section to the park, with wider, longer sites. We are also going to be converting several of our back-to-back sites into pull-through spaces in the fall, which will help to widen some of the roadways. These are growing pains that we have been experiencing for the past couple of years that take time to rectify

We do have some longer-term guests who work in the area and stay with us a couple of months in the summer time. Regardless of the length of stay, we do require that each site only have one vehicle parked at it at a time. Enforcing this rule is a full time job alone, since many of our customers feel that they should somehow be exempted from this requirement. We have recently implemented a fine system, charging $5 per day, per vehicle that they have in addition to the one permitted. We are hoping that this will help to reduce the congestion.

As for the trees - I have several customers who complain that there aren't enough trees, and some who aren't happy with the ones we do have. We try to please as many as 800 customers and their individual needs at any one time, so I'm sure you can imagine that it is a bit of a juggling act! Short of cutting down the tree, trimming it was our best option. Alternatively, we would have moved you to another site, but can only do so if there is one available. I do apologize for this - the consistently changing nature of our business causes situations such as these.

There is no physical cable service provided to us here, outside the city of Calgary, so it is not possible to offer such a service. You can, however receive 6 local channels if you've got a digital TV. Also, as of July 5th, 2014 there is no longer a charge for Wi-Fi, it is now a free service. The camping rates are competitive for the area - the other campgrounds around Calgary all charge near or above what we do.

Regarding the garbage. Our service provider will only offer removal service of our six dumpsters once per week, every Tuesday. Most weeks this is sufficient for us. Long weekends have sometimes proven difficult, as the holiday pushes our pickup date to Wednesday. That, paired with the fact that we have higher capacity over the long weekends can mean higher waste volumes. Over these weekends we have been filling our own trailer and hauling it to the landfill in an attempt to alleviate the higher quantities of waste. I apologize that this didn't occur during your stay.

I hope that you have a wonderful rest of the summer!

Cara
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calgary
Beltline
Hotel Elan
Hotel Elan
#2 of 109 in Calgary
Northeast Calgary
Hotel Clique Calgary Airport
Northeast Calgary
Best Western Premier Freeport Inn & Suites

Been to Mountain View Camping? Share your experiences!