“Quick overnight stay”

Ranked #72 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Ottawa, Canada
“Quick overnight stay”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Because of weather in Montreal, our flight from Ottawa to Calgarry was delayed, and such, we missed our flight to Vancouver. Not to fret, WestJet, put us up in Calgary at the Airport Sandman. Since we were only there for 5 hours, all I can say is that the beds were comfortable, and the room/bathroom were clean, and that is all I wanted at that point.

Staff were very nice, although, when I told them I needed the shuttle back to the airport at 5:30am, they told me there was only 1 place available...not great since we were two. They did suggest a cab, (kind of a duhh!!! moment...), which we were prepared to do. A fellow passenger from our flight, suggested we take her cab, which she had a chit for, and slpit the tip. (Always love the kindness of fellow travellers!)

Other than that, a good sleep, and our wakeup call was right on time.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 4 April 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here twice before for work.

Located by the airport (because they're doing construction at the airport by building another runway this hotel used to be a 5 minute drive to the airport. Now you have to go back down the deerfoot and it takes about 10-15 (over 30 in rush hour) to get to the airport. I stay here because my work is located on the south side of the airport and I can get there in less than 5 minutes.)

The rooms that I've stayed in are standard. Nice. We stayed in a "junior suite" which meant a king sized bed and pull out bed. We thought it was going to be larger than it was but overall very standard and nice for the price we paid.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Canadawj
Victoria
Reviewed 21 March 2013

So, this is a new property and it is one of those places that looks great on line and from the outside but there are so many small problems that the stay is anything but enjoyable. Oh where to begin. Sandman, you could do much better.

First, if you are in Calgary for executive business be warned that a large number of construction and other work crews use this hotel apparently. While there is nothing wrong with hard working crews and we are glad for the necessary work they do, the simple truth is that hard working crews are by and large not the quietest hotel guests, so be prepared for lots of in hall noise and late night entries (read that more hallway noise late at night).

Speaking of noise, apparently this hotel was put up in a flash as any notion of sound proofing was omitted during the building process. There is hallway noise (lots), between room noise on the same floor and between room noise from the floor above me. Unless there was a hippo in ski boots staying above me, these floors are THIN. Arrrgh. I am a good sleeper and don't often complain about noise in hotels but this hotel was difficult to sleep in.

The rooms are well appointed for a mid range hotel, there are ample plugs, etc. The bed is comfortable enough and linens are allright. My TV remote didn't work well, channels went up (most of the time) but not down, entering the channel number sorta worked sometimes. Large old TV's likely time for refurbs there.

Bathroom: clean, large enough with OK amenities. Can we talk about hot water? Well, if you are showering after 6:30 as I did my first day...there isn't adequate hot water. On the other two mornings when I was showering before 6, lots of hot water but turns out that the shower knob had to be placed within about 2 mm of a location to not be scalded, or not frozen. Literally, one temperature with extremes in a mm on either side. Poor. Poor. Poor. The fact that it is one of those old massage shower heads that can't decide whether it is on massage or continuous was annoying but not pivotal. In a modern hotel there should be ample hot water that can be controlled.

Parking...oh yes, there is lots and it's free. It should be. I parked my car in the large parking lot at the back of the hotel. The row of paved parking spots was full (was the entire time I stayed here.....), so I had to park in the mud lot. This was problematic as I was in dress shoes (you know the kind you wear with a suit....) and the parking lot has been reduced to 3 inch deep mud because of all the large work trucks churning up the parking lot. Kiss the shoes goodbye; I actually don't think the mud will be coming out and I did not have a hip wader alternative as most business travellers would not.

Front desk staff. Friendly enough it seems but not terribly motivated to problem solve or there just aren't any options. Book the shuttle to the airport very well in advance or they will tell you it is not available. It is not free, it's 5 bucks a head.

Are there any pros? Well, there is a Moxie's restaurant attached to the hotel for evening dining. Well priced, good quality food with super friendly service. I think there is room service in the hotel but could not find it anywhere on the phone or in the guest directory and didn't bother to phone.

In short, there are many other options in the immediate area, I won't be returning to the Sandman.

Room Tip: Top floor to avoid transmitted floor noise, do not be anywhere near an elevator.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank heeler1
gm_calair, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites, Calgary Airport, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
Many of these concerns could have been addressed had the guest asked for a room move. I am pleased to say that by the end of this week all tube TVs will have been replaced with LCDs. This is part of the scheduled upgrading of the hotel amenities for 2013.

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Had to wait 30 minutes for the shuttle at the airport. Shuttle is so small (about 9 passemgers) taht they had to leave people there as it filled quickly. This was at 12:40 am. When registering that night, I asked if I could book the shuttle for their 5:45 am trip to the airport. I was informed that all the early morning shuttles were booked and then asked if they could book me a cab for me. I aked if they would pay for the cab? They said, "No we can not pay for a cab, we have a shuttle service!" all with a straight face. Their web site also fails to state that their airport shuttle pick up is free but to take the shuttle back to the airport is $5.00/person (if available). Very underhanded tacktics. Have been a Luck 13 hotel member: Star Plus and 55 Plus member with Sandman for years. They just turned away a loyal customer for good. If you are depending on their airport shuttle, you may have to take a taxi both ways if time is important to you. The taxi fare each way id $30.00. This would make the price of a one night stay at this Sandman hotel well over $200.00. Best Western next door has a much bigger shuttle and they do not charge.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
gm_calair, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites, Calgary Airport, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
I have replied to this guest directly explaining the shuttle constraints that have been placed on all airport hotels south of the airport since the closure of Barlow Trail in April 2011. It has always been on a first come first served basis but since the road closure it now takes longer and therefore limits the capacity in any given hour.
Saskatchewan
Reviewed 13 March 2013

This location is targetted by thieves who know we park, stay, and fly and leave our vehicles empty and vulnerable for weeks. I read a review about this happening in January but I assumed that it wouldn't happen to me too.... not when they know it's a problem.. I was wrong and it cost me $500 of personal items including our winter coats that we left in our vehicle. We were parked close to the entrance and still our trust was broken. The 2nd violation of our trust was that the desk clerk didn't really seem surprised nor did he care. The manager on duty wasn't called to offer us compassion or walk us to our vehicle to share in our shock. They weren't held liably responsible so it wasn't their problem, it was ours. In a city we didn't live in, in one we now didn't feel safe in. And they knew this was happening and didn't work to prevent it. Sandman is now synonymous with Victimization..from the thieves, and then from the staff. They simply don't care what happens to you.

Room Tip: i just don't even care to stay here again, the bed was hard anyway and my husband would rather s...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
gm_calair, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites, Calgary Airport, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
I have contacted this guest directly and explained that with Calgary being a large city and most hotels having unsecured parking lots it is certainly not only the Sandman Hotel that is targetted. Rather it is vehicles with items left inside which is why we clearly ask our guests as do all hotels to "not leave any valuables in your vehicle".
Castlegar, Canada
Reviewed 22 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed here the night before we flew out and the night we returned. The rooms are very out dated. The best were uncomfortable. The room was very warm (February) and the air conditioner was to loud to have running while you slept. The free shuttle to the airport must be booked well in advance before you check in if your flying out in the morning. Overall I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Djs05
gm_calair, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites, Calgary Airport, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
I am pleased to advise all of our past, present and future guests that the hotel will be undergoing updating all rooms to flat screen TVs and new bedding packages by the end of April this year. We also have received many comments on how comfortable our beds are, but I know this is a personal preference. With the extreme fluctuations in temperature Calgary faces each winter it is sometimes difficult to adjust the heat to everyone's statisfaction. Had the guest informed the front desk staff we would have been more than happy to move them. As with any hotel shuttle - there is limited capacity and is booked on a first come first served basis.
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on Jan 26 and 27 and again on Feb 18. Check-in was handled very good and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We parked our van there for 21 days with no problems. The room was ok but there should be another garbage can in the room. There's only one in the bathroom. The front doors are a problem, as the outside doors are automatic, but the inside doors are manual. This proved a bit difficult, as I'm in a wheelchair and the inside door is a bit hard to open. It's also a bit of a problem for 1 person to get the luggage cart through. The restaurant on site was over priced and absolutely NOT wheelchair friendly.Other than that, I would stay at this hotel again

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple