“This is now my home away from home.”

River Wynde Executive Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 54 Calgary B&B and Inns
Edmonton, Canada
“This is now my home away from home.”
Reviewed 7 January 2011

River Wynde, and the sister property River Lee are gorgeous, well-kept, character homes in the fantastic neighbourhood of Kensington. I first booked 2 years ago, based solely on location as it's a very quick walk to my Calgary offices, but it has very quickly become the only place I stay in Calgary. Quite literally a home away from home.

The property is run by Deanne and Diana, two of the most gracious and welcoming hostesses I have had the pleasure to meet. I have stayed in almost every room, and am never disappointed. The attention to detail shows in every element - the slippers and robes, the art and books and even the pillows and comforters. I feel spoiled after each trip.

I usually travel to Calgary alone, for business, but have had the occasional trip with my kids (boys, 10 & 14). They love the B&B, not just for the location (3 doors from a Starbucks!) but also for the comfort and ease of the space. De and Diane are very warm and really like kids - if you are travelling as a family, this is a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank JenAlabiso

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Yellowknife
Reviewed 28 December 2010

Great value -- a hidden gem near downtown. I almost hate to give it a good review because I don't want it to be full next time we go -- but we loved it here. We stayed in the backyard "cottage." It is really a garage -- but fixed up nicely, super clean, cosy. Deanne was away when we were there. Diana took great care of us. Vegan breakfasts (our request). There was always fresh fruit on hand. Close to Kensington shopping and restaurants. Peaceful backyard. Wish we stayed longer. We'll be back for sure next time we are in Calgary.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 18 December 2010

My recent stay at this B&B was a mixed one to say the least. The location in Kensington can't be beat, but that isn't enough for me to recommend this property to anyone else. The major drawback that I experienced was with the instrusive hostess/owner Deanne. Her helpfulness can be described as manic and intrusive at times. Not everyone that stays at a B&B wants to share their life story with the owner, recount every inch of their day, or socialize with them at the property. She doesn't know when to draw the line with her questioning or pushy. Deanne is also an odd duck, and just plain weird to boot.

The property is extremely old (somewhat modernized), and has awfully creakly floor boards. The living room is very small, and there is no space to relax other than in your room. This room could only fit a mid size Christmas tree, a small love seat, and a lamp in it, which literally left no room whatsoever. The back yard is very small as well. Every step you take is highlighted by a creak in the floor board. I could hear other guests moving, coughing, and conversing very easily. My room had no heating and was freeeeezing! (or it was turned down way too low to have an effect of any sorts). Plus, the lock on the door did not work!! The TV was a 17 inch computer screen. The bed was hard and extremely uncomfortable. I normally prefer firm mattresses, but this wasn't in that category. I thought that I had requested a room with a bath; however, I had to use the shared washroom which contained only a shower and no bathtub. The bathroom was an extremly cramped, dimly lit room to boot.

My breakfast consisted of fruit, muffins, and oatmeal. Again, the kitchen is tiny and cramped, so we chose to eat in the room on the bed. We also wanted to avoid Deanne's prying eyes and line of questioning. We had to leave early, and had to told her that the night before; however, she still prepared a breakfast for us. We explicitly told her that we didn't need breakfast, but she chose not to listen to us. We felt obligated to eat it once prepared. I know that you can view this as above and beyond, but we wanted to save time and stay on our itinerary (had to catch early flight). Why did she just not listen to us?

The kicker to my stay was my wife finding out that her underwear and socks had been washed and put back into her suitcase without her knowledge while staying at this property. Both items were still damp when she went to put them on the next morning. This sounds crazy I know, but this is true, and that is when I knew that I would never return or recommend this property.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rogertravey
Deannemudd, Manager at River Wynde Executive Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 24 December 2010
Although we always appreciate all reviews and comments from our guests and learn and grow from both good and bad criticism, we are wondering if this review of our property was posted in error.
The owner, Deanne, has been travelling out of country since September and is not expected to return until January. As can be seen on our website, our living room is quite large and has a piano, couch, two chairs, wardrobe and Christmas tree. Our yard is also very large- we have a double yard shared by both bed and breakfasts complete with fish pond, cottage, two eating areas, fire pit, crab apple tree with circular bench and barbecue area. Our kitchen is a good size and just had a television commercial shot in it.
We look forward to contacting this guest through Trip Advisor to get further details on their stay.
Wolverhampton
Reviewed 11 September 2010

This was a gem of a place to stay in. I always like staying in B+Bs in Canada and this was one of the best. Dee really knows how to make you feel welcome. After a long flight check in was smooth. There was a box which had my key in it for self check in as arranged by Dee who happened to be in.

Breakfast is superb and some of the best I have had in North America. Dee is a good cook and puts a lot of thought into the breakfast she gives her guests. It is a set breakfast which varies each day. One day it might be an omlette - but no ordinary omlette and the next it might be fruit and museli with a toasted bagel. Everyone has breakfast around the kitchen table which is good for getting to know every one. Dee is good company and interested in all of her guests. She found my english accent and ways to be amusing in a nice way and we had a bit of fun in deciding if I was going to be English or Canadian for breakfast.

I like the backyard which is a good place to unwind after a days sightseeing. I even made friends with squirrel the cat who is not the most fussy of cats.

Would certainly recommend this B+B to anyone staying in Calgary.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
victoria, canada
Reviewed 2 June 2010

The value, compared to other $100 options, is unbeatable. The breakfasts are gourmet and delicous. The rooms are immaculate and lovely. The back yard has to be one of the best spots in Calgary to enjoy a morning coffee or evening glass of wine. The living room is begging you to sit down, in front of the bay window, with your book and relax. The character house has wood floors throughout, so I wasn't able to sleep in (light sleeper) on the mornings I was hoping to. Free passes to gorgeous neighbourhood gym too! Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank black_julia
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 5 June 2009

I loved this B&B, and returned there twice, but will be booking another one next time. The lack of privacy is the main reason - yes, it is not soundproof house, and there are many rooms, which are often occupied even in the middle of the week, and I did not like sharing bathroom when I am paying $130 a night. I loved the balcony in the Forest room. I wish they had room with private bathroom - then I would return again and again.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Kungla
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 20 April 2009

The two of us stayed a total of 4 nights for a conference, along with our 3 1/2 month old baby. We had the larger room, with plenty of space to set up our travel baby bed. The staff were very laid back (sometimes almost too laid back...) but generally were amazing and accommodating. The breakfasts were fab, and the kitchen table was full of interesting conversation in the morning. The only negative for us was that there was no sink in our room, which made for a lot of trips down the hall to the shared bathroom. Also a big bonus to be right near 10th Ave in Kensington, and near a light-rail station.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business