“Check the room”

Stetson Village Inn
Stetson Village Inn
Ranked #85 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Checked in late on a Friday night. We noticed a crack in one window pane immediately, however did not report this to the office. Because we never reported this, they charged my credit card an additional $100.00 to fix the window. So even if a place looks a little run down make sure that you report any sub standard conditions immediately or you may end up paying for the up keep and ongoing repairs of the facility. They refused to reverse the charges for the window.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Terry O
There are newer reviews for Stetson Village Inn

Reviewed 28 April 2013

Stated here for one night. The road it is located on (Macleod Trail) is very busy and I could hear the cars from my room. I could also hear the people in the adjoining rooms. I am a heavy sleeper so this didn't bother me but it might bother others. The room was dated but extremely clean. The mattress and pillows looked newer and were comfortable. All in all, for the price, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank RedPony138
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Great Fun! Excellent Service. We arrived in Calgary after a long drive. Had a pleasant check-in. Front Desk guy was very helpful with directions. The rooms were dated, but clean and spacious. And a great price as we were on a budget. We were a little hungry, not knowing what to expect, we decided to just order an appetizer from the pub, and if we liked it we'd have more. Wow I ordered soup which was the best tomato soup I ever had. We decided to go to the pub for beers and more food. Great prices and excellent food. Try the Caesar Burger. YUM.
No coffee pot or complimentary breakfast in room so we went into the cafe the next morning. (free coffee voucher) we had a great breakfast early bird special (bacon, eggs home made hashbrowns and toast for $4.99). Awsome Much better than a stale dry muffin and instant coffee that the hotles with comp breakfast give you. The cafe staff were great. We will be back and highly recommend the Stetson--Motel, Pub and Cafe

Room Tip: Oops forget the room number it was non-smoking. The motel still offered smoking rooms. Which I gue...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jan B
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Room + amenities; Basic but quite spacious. I did not have a "kitchen", but there was at least a fridge, which was nice. Ok tv's, standard cable, NO COFFEE MAKER or even an alarm clock. I had no wifi in my room, which the front desk completely lied to me about and just never fixed. I had to stand out the window to use it. The noise was a bit of an issue, they are paper thin walls. If the hotel was full, that would be a big issue.

Cleanliness; This is an old hotel, and desperately needs updating, but for the shape of the place, they did a good job cleaning daily. Housekeeping doesn't go into the drawers, or under the sink or anywhere else that "good hotels" clean, but for what they are working with, good effort.

Price; $80, tax in at time of booking. This was 25% cheaper than anything else in the area.

Staff; Housekeepers were polite, front desk was quite simply inept. One man in particular didn't even look at you went in the office and always acted like you were interupting him. Not sure how he keeps his job, unless he is the owner?

In conclusion; It was cheap. This seems like the place for workers in town that are getting the weekly rate and are willing to put up with some annoyance to save money. If you are in town for just a night or two, spend the extra $$ and get something ranked better. Would rather not stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the bar side!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank canadiantruth
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I had stayed here for two weeks with my husband. We were here for business and so I had paid weekly, otherwise we wouldnt have stayed here that long. The first night was ok, the rooms are incredibly dry (we both woke up with bloody noses) and very very noisey. You can hear everything in this hotel. I could hear ppl upstairs peeing, pacing the room, his TV, and his conversations. A couple stayed next to us, and they were big time crack heads. We heard them having sex, arguing, cracking their beers, EVERYTHING. We had to complain about them every night but nothing ever came of it. They stayed their whole duration, even though if we recorded with our phones they might as well of been standing right in front of us. The staff were really rude. Once, when I was complaining about the crack head couple, the front desk lady with grayhair and pink lips told me she couldnt move them they were full (next night hotel was empty except us and them), and that if anything she would move ME!! She also gave me the third degree about where I smoke and how much I smoke at home because we were staying in a smoke free room. I had to tell her, not that it was any of her business, that my husband and I smoke very little and not inside and that it was OUR CHOICE what room we had. What a witch! The second worst part, after the crack head couple, was finding a crack pipe equipped with lighter and little white rock under my bathroom sink. The only reason this was second worst was because it didnt make noise. The cleaning lady is nice, but not too thorough and so it stayed there right up until the day we left. Ill bet if you stay in rm 5, itll still be there. Do not stay here, anyone. This is a crack shack and you wont get your moneys worth even if it is the cheqpest rate in town. There is a reason for it.

Room Tip: Stay some where else.
Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Shawnee B
Reviewed 5 June 2012

i stayed here for 8 months last year, not too bad. rooms are fairly clean. into 6 weeks stay this year and every trip to the office is a screw up and now they over booked so i have no room for 3 days. so sick and tired of the idiots at front desk, irresponsible morons

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank chebby s
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We used this motel as "overflow" sleeping accommodation for a large family gathering in a nearby neighbourhood. Location and price were the deciding factors. The location isn't very attractive: McLeod Trail big box / commercial strip, backs up to a Kal Tire, across the road from a Superstore.

Check-in was seamless, they had our reservation, pleasant and knowledgeable staff (the owner?)

Grade level entry "1960's style" was nice for the bicycle were were carrying and using.

Room (one queen bed only) was spacious and quite clean, carpet and mattress reasonably new, no dust bunnies. Bathroom is dated (many years of Ajax cleanings have dulled the finish of the porcelain bathtub) but has seen some maintenance and upgrades.

Traffic noise from McLeod Trail was surprisingly not an issue. Air conditioner (hot August night) was thankfully not excruciatingly loud.

The price is right! $80 (seniors / AMA rate) and that is including tax. You get what you pay for and that is "NO FRILLS": no kettle / coffeemaker, no glasses or china mugs.

There was, however a tiny bar fridge in the room. The ice machine worked.

We did not try the attached restaurant "99 Ave Cafe".

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family