“Some qualifications...”

Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Phone: (403) 270-4505 Postal code: T2N 1W7
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I want to begin by saying I rarely write "Average" reviews, but there isn't a space for "Good", and sometimes places just don't register as quite "Very Good" in my book. Now, I also have to make a few other qualifications: the Canadians seem to really appreciate this place, and it certainly has a nice, genuine, neighborhood atmosphere. The beer selection is reasonable (from a US standpoint), and the menu seemed to be pretty standard,pub-wise. Service was attentive and more-than-sufficient. Now here's where the US/Canadian point is important: to me there seemed ot be something 'off' about the beers. I had a pint of two different beers and tasted from two different beers yet (others at my table). Maybe I'm spoiled by the US microbrew rage, but I was unimpressed by the local Canadian brews' flavor. More importantly, each of the four beers I tasted had a distinct yeasty front and aftertaste. I worked in beer distribution for years, and I generally attribute that taste to either A) old, spoiled kegs, or B) uncleaned tap-lines. They were serving a lot of pints; so I can't imagine the kegs were old, and I hate to challenge the cleanliness because I say no evidence of it in other areas (which you generally don't have to look too far for when the lines are dirty in a US pub). So, maybe the yeasty/cabbage-y/skunky flavor is peculiar to Canadian brews? Maybe I was getting sick? Maybe my taster was just off? I cannot say. Generally, I would have found the ubiquitous aftertaste problem a damning issue, but the rest of the pub belies it as a radical problem. Can't give anything better than average, but also hate to be a hater on a one-off experience. Worth mentioning though in case others share my experience.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Cozy atmosphere but beginning to look tired! Adequate pub menu, but every great
restaurant should have at least one "stand-out" food item that draws and demands
attention. With our party of seven--We needed a simple munch while waiting for
everyone to arrive---basket of house cut fries, which were hot and fresh!
Eventually We ordered chicken quesadillas, their wing-night hot wings, cod and
chips--------quesadillas were good, but uneventful, wings very good, as expected,
cod fish was excellent--coleslaw excellent--and these house-cut fries were hard
and obviously re-heated.
Beverages were "average-pub"--service was friendly but sporatic when required.
Biggest down-side===very difficult to find parking!
With so much pub competition----We won't rush back.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

This place is what a neighbourhood pub should be. It is cozy with a number of nooks to settle into to visit with friends. There is a good selection of beer on tap and the food is above average for pub fare.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Kensington but is just outside the main downtown area. Its located on Kensington Rd which is the main artery of Kensington Village. I work in the area and visit this pub with workmates, and friends several times a year. One cool thing is that you can call up and reserve a table if you have 5 or 6 friends all planning to meet up here. Fridays after work, as with any worthwhile neighbourhood Pub, the place is packed. Get there early or get a reservation. Even with a reservation they expect you there early-ish. This Pub has been in the area for years and is very established, very well run, and neighbourly. The residents and friends of this pub alike are proud of it and it shows. Just a great place to meet, eat great pub food and kick back with a couple of brewskies with your buds!

1  Thank Wilfcalgary
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I wanted to take my sixteen year old grandaughter for a lunch that would be a new experience for her. The Kensington Pub is a quaint, fun place to go that welcomes minors . The food was great, the service friendly and prompt. I am reminded of a visit to The Cotswolds in Britain. One suggestion....for those of us who like to drink tea, a proper teapot that pours without spilling and cups and saucers rather than the large mugs would be preferable and enhance the British influence.

1  Thank CalgaryJaydee