“DON'T BOTHER WITH THE BIRTHDAY CAKES!”
Review of Marble Slab Creamery - CLOSED

Marble Slab Creamery
Victoria, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“DON'T BOTHER WITH THE BIRTHDAY CAKES!”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I bought a groupon for a birthday cake for my son who's birthday is just after Xmas. I overlooked the fact that you needed 48 hours to order the cake so phoned the store and said I needed it the next day. They said they it wouldn't be a problem but only if I paid for another cake and didn't use the groupon. Now it's one thing if they couldn't make the cake in time but just plain lousy customer service to refuse to do so unless I paid full price for another cake when I already had a voucher. I spoke to the manager who wouldn't budge either - what is with people who can't make their own decisions and have a little bit of flexibility.
So we had the cake a day late and it was a huge disappointment. I bought the cookie mix drizzle thinking it would be made of icecream with chunks of cookie dough and chocolate but other than the thin topping it was just plain ice cream! It wasn't an icecream cake but a very expensive lump of icecream.
I won't be back and will stick with reliable Dairy Queen from now on!!!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank MrsTiggyWinkle777

Calgary, Canada
“Marble Slab ice cream cake”
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I can collaborate on another review of the Marble slab on 17th.
My wife and I had two separate orders in for large cakes.
They both were about 1 inch thick instead of the 2.5 inches that we have purchased before at other Marble slabs. That's about 2.5L of missing ice cream.
I phoned customer service but they just say they'll pass the message on to the franchise.
I didn't hear anything from them and eventually called the store.
They said they would give me a litre of ice cream.
The lesson is don't order a cake from the Marble Slab on 17th.

• Visited January 2013
Calgary, Canada
“Marble Slab ice cream cake nightmare”
Reviewed 26 January 2013

I went to a friend’s daughter’s birthday party, saw the Marble slab’s birthday bonanza cake, love it. So I ordered one large one for my daughter’s birthday. Ordered online, talked to the manager on the phone to confirm it. I have requested to switch the gummy bear with smarties as in my friend’s party, all the kids split out the hard frozen gummy bears. I understand they have to put the whole thing in freezer so gummy would be harden, so switch to smarties, at least melt in the mouth.

When I picked up the cake, I saw there is a “finger hole” on it along with crackings. I asked the guy what happened to the cake ? He said, “it’s ice-cream, they always crack.” I thought to myself, “what-the ? It’s ice-cream, patch it up” Well, my husband was wandering outside with the kids with no parking space on a busy street. So I thought I will just put some decorations to cover the hole.

On the ride home, I looked at the cake, the first thing I notice was the cake looks awfully thin compared to my friend’s cake. I remembered my friend used a big knife dipped in hot water and fork, just couldn’t cut it. The cake was thick and frozen solid. The one that I got was like half the height. Plus there were only 8 smarties on the cake. Compare to the picture online and my friend’s cake, it’s missing all the sprinkles on the cake, all the whip creams around and all gummy bears/smarties on the bottom around the cake. We had 8 lonely miserable smarties and one finger hole with cracks on a thin flat cake.

Got home, first thing is get the measuring tape, hover over the widest part of the cake, 8 inches, took picture, height, less than 2 inches, picture taken. Weight, 1.63 kg including the base cardboard. The more I looked at it, the more sure I know this is NOT a large cake. Called three other marble slab locations in the same city to confirm the dimensions and weight and confirmed that mine was totally under.

Called the store back, asked for manager, he said he is the manager, whom was the same guy who told me ice cream always cracked. After I told him about my 8 inches cake, he yelled, what ? Impossible. All our pans are the same as Marble slab, I don’t know how your cake got smaller ? But it cannot be….blah, blah. I said, I have pictures with the measuring tapes and scale. Before I go any further, he yelled, you can take all the pictures and complain to Marble slab because our pans are the same. I said, I already took pictures and I will call Marble Slab head office for sure because this is not right, the way you do business gives Marble slab a bad name. When I mentioned the weight of the cake, he laughed at me, saying if you complain to Marble Slab about the weight, it’s going to be funny because we never weigh our cake. I said, what ? Even when we buy a regular ice cream cone, they always weigh before put it on the cone. And there are 4 sizes cake, there has to be some sort of guideline for the size and ice-cream one is getting in order to charge a customer for certain amount. He then just kept on yelling something I couldn’t comprehend. The only thing I heard him say is calling me a liar. So I offered to bring the cake right back untouched to him and he can take out his own measuring tape to measure it, he refused. He yelled at top of his lung, u want to take the cake back, no way, there is nothing we can do. He proceed to explain the cake could not be smaller but the height might varies depending on the flavour of the ice-cream. I told him dimension or weight wise, I am getting way less, end of story. I then asked him to do something very simple, to go into the kitchen right now and measure the diameter of their “large” cake pan and tell me what it is. He refused and hung up on me.

I personally have no problem with Marble Slab as a corporation but I just don’t think it’s fair for people who has their franchise and give out inferior products and crappy attitudes.

Sorry for the long story.

• Visited January 2013