“Overnight in the City”
Review of Hotel Elan

Hotel Elan
Ranked #2 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Hotel Elan is wonderful. Just spent a night there for a little get away in the City. Spent the afternoon touring 17th ave enjoying the sites, coffee shops, etc. The rooms are large, modern and beautiful. Got a kick out of the heated toilet seat that doubles as a night lite! Bed are very comfy and finally a hotel with a choice of firm or soft pillows. Morning breakfast was good. Will definitely stay here again. Only downfall was there was no hot tub to enjoy. A roof top hot tub would have been perfect.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Lewis S, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Elan, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thanks for choosing to enjoy your over night in Calgary at Hotel Elan! Sounds like you had a great time exploring 17 Ave so full of coffee shops, shopping and dining venues. Our selection of both firm and soft pillows (easily identified by their embroidered labels) along with our heated toilet seats add to the pampered stay. No we do not have a guest hot tub but perhaps next time you will get a chance to check out one of the Chromotherapy tubs in a two bedroom suite? Choosing from one of the 8 different color light settings - let me know your favorite!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Only a year old, in a converted apartment building, near downtown. The outside doesn't look like much, but the rooms are amazing! Very modern, clean and beautiful. I had a living room, kitchen and dining room- all separate from the bedroom. They don't have a full restaurant or bar- just a breakfast buffet that was pretty good. However, there were plenty of choices within walking distance. Area seemed a little run down, but very eclectic- and only 5 min cab to city center.
The front desk people were all very nice and helpful.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank global5000pilot
Lewis S, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Elan, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

I always appreciate hearing that our front desk team were very nice and helpful. We are all very proud of Hotel Elan and work very hard to make sure our guests are well cared for and enjoy their stay with us. Our location is so convenient as you say with easy walking distance to the popular 17 Ave shop and restaurants with a 5 min cab ride into the center of the city. Our clean and modern hotel awaits your next stay! Thanks for choosing Hotel Elan.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I recently spent a weekend at Hotel Elan with friends. We rented the 2 bedroom suite which had a kitchen, living room and dining room. The suite was spacious, bright and clean. It even had its own exercise room with equipment, floor to ceiling mirrors, wall mounted TV and yoga mat. the bathroom was luxurious with a large tub, huge walk in shower with rain shower head, separate WC with heated toilet seat. the beds were amazing - one of the best mattresses I've ever slept on. Breakfast was included in the rate - there was a selection of hot and cold items served buffet style. We came down a bit late the first morning and there wasn't much left and no one offered to replenish the food items. however we were able to make do with what was there. the décor is very modern and sleek . our unit was totally wired for any type of electronic equipment. there was a large balcony leading off the living room looking out towards 17th Avenue. the weekend we were there was very cold, so we couldn't sit out but it would be great in the summer. the location was very convenient to all the restaurants and shops on 17th Avenue. I always like to open windows when I'm staying in a hotel and all the bedroom windows opened to let in fresh air. There were no closets in the room except for a hanging rod and wall mounted drawer and some shelves. so if you were staying for a extended time frame, it might be a bit difficult to store all your items . for a weekend it was fine. the living room came equipped with a sectional sofa which accommodated 3 people but it was a bit small. the only other seating was office type chairs around the dining table. The room was large enough to accommodate a couple more comfortable chairs which would have been nice given that it is a 2 bedroom suite. overall, this was a great place and I will book this the next time. I am out to Calgary frequently so am really pleased to know about Hotel Elan.

Room Tip: rooms facing 17th Avenue will be noisier, especially on a weekend.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Great choice on the Energizer suite for your weekend stay at Hotel Elan. I agree with you it is always nice to be able to open windows for a little fresh air access. All of guest rooms and suites offer this European style turn and tilt feature as well as individual air conditioning in each of the living areas. Our private balconies off each of the suites will be very popular in the warm sunny days ahead we are now experiencing in Calgary. Thanks again for choosing to stay at Hotel Elan!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Excellent hotel overall. The rooms were exceptionally nice with very comfortable beds. All the interiors were tastefully done. Breakfast was also very good with a good selection. Good location overall and would certainly stay here again. I would highly recommend this to anyone coming to Calgary.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Lewis S, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Elan, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Trendy with both practical functions and amenities to pamper every guest certainly does lend to a very comfortable stay at Hotel Elan. Thank you for your recommendation to others looking for accommodations when traveling into Calgary and we look forward to your next visit as well!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

My partner booked Hotel Elan for a night's stay on Valentine's Day knowing that I have a special things for boutique hotels.

The stay turned out memorable despite having fallen ill. There was a box of chocolate with a handwritten note to wish us Happy Valentine's Day. That was a really sweet and thoughtful gesture that we truly appreciated it! Thank you! The room and bathroom are tastefully designed with the convenience of coffee machine in the room. The bathroom floors and toilet seats are heated which were really helpful during a winter's night. There is complimentary wifi and parking is complimentary on a fri/sat. The hotel front desk lady was warm and friendly. She gladly shared with us her recommendations for dining in the vicinity. We had our dinner at 80th & Ivy. It was awesome.

My biggest hotel pet peeve is the random unexplained amount charged to my credit card after I have checked out. Hotel Elan replied promptly and reversed the charges thereafter. However, I incurred an exchange difference as a result. After several rounds of email, it finally settled. It was an uncalled for hassle.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank meixuan w

Sorry to hear that you fell ill on your special weekend getaway. Our team wanted to make sure you had a memorable stay so I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the chocolates and personalized note. Sounds like your evening was complete with a dinner at 80th and Ivy which certainly is one of the favorites close to the hotel! Exchange rates can be frustrating but I am please to hear that our team promptly dealt with the issue and all was sorted out for you. We look forward to seeing you on your next special stay with us with no illness and no extra paperwork!

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I was going to stay with some friends but at the last minute decided to book a one night stay at the Hotel Elan, boy am I glade I did. The location was great for downtown walking and sightseeing. In addition they had the friendliest staff who took care of me like I was family. They had a managers cocktail reception that was perfect for a little nibble before my big event. In the morning I was greatly enthused and looking forward to breakfast and again Hotel Elan did not disappoint. They had an array of choices from pastries, cereal, fruits, omelets,sausages potatoes... basically the works. The bed was more than amazing.. they even had heated toilet seats !!!!!!! Now who does not like that ... Very highly recommended !

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Lewis S, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Elan, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Since Hotel Elan is a boutique style property this allows us to have a more personable service and yes we treat all of our guests as members of the Elan family! Sophie I am glad you were able to attend our Managers reception as well as our complimentary Elan Energizer breakfast. We really appreciate your business and your taking the time to submit your review!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed for one night in a standard room on Valentines Day. I loved the bathroom and toilet as they were warm and cozy. The floors and toilet seats are heated. They provided toiletries including mouthwash which was definitely a plus! However, I did not particularly fancy the room itself. There was too much stuff in the open -the microwave, ironing board, coat rack, coffee maker etc making the very small room look cluttered. I felt that it took away from the nice decor. It felt more like a business kind of room but definitely nowhere near romantic. I would not recommend this room for a romantic night out but rather when one goes on business. I usually go out on romantic 1/2 night outings every month. Overall, it is a nice hotel with little bonuses here and there. Many reviews seem to recommend the 1/2 bedroom suite. I wish I had had an opportunity to view one as per their invitation but I had to rush back home to my twins:) . Thanks for the Valentines chocolate. That was a really nice gesture!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Debra C
Lewis S, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Elan, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Thanks for taking the time to submit your review Debra on your stay during our Valentine Day weekend discount specials. The theme of Hotel Elan is Simplistic Elegance with a strong clean European flair. The beauty of our high end boutique style hotel is that we can offer many different room types and styles as well as price points. The hotel room style lends it self well to the business or leisure traveler who requires a comfortable over night stay. For a little more space our one bedroom suites boosts a separate living room area. Completing our inventory is our incredible Serenity and Energizer suites - 935 to 973 sq. ft. these suites that have the Chaise Lounge sofa in the main living area and the Chromotherapy soaker tub in the spa like bathroom. When your schedule permits I would love to have you back for a site of all our room and suites types? I am sure you will agree that these suites will be on your wish list for next Valentines Day.